Nature's Great Events (BBC)

T7

The episode this coming wednesday is about the life cycle of the salmon. Should be worth a look...

T7

It's repeated on Sunday or you can watch it online via BBC iplayer.

Andy R

Watched it last night,

Very good film, nice landscapes, interesting content......then Sir David ruins it all by saying;

'unlike the atlantic salmon which can return to spawn many times...' or words to that effect:mad:

I think i read about 5% make it back to sea, the repeat spawners in a further year are a smaller percentage still (1-2%) most second or third year returning salmon are still 'maiden fish'

Why the hell do the researchers on the BBC make such a balls up of basic information such as this- that they could take out of almost any book on salmon fishing!!!!

Annoyed,

Andy

nomadicseatrout

Andy,
I to share your frustration......
I notice they didn't mentioned anything about the threat of commercial Salmon farming? It's a big problem on the Alaskan/Canadian west coast I understand. They didn't mention netting either. It just seems that whatever makes good TV for the masses will get put out.....they like to project the image of an ideal world. All in all it was a good wildlife program but I feel the research could have been a bit better!

:confused:

T7

I was expecting a bit at the end about the problems with salmon farming etc. Anyone who watched the week before will know that they were going on about ice caps melting and polar bears dying every couple of minutes! I guess as salmon aren't cute and furry people just aren't bothered so much??

Anyway great photography, although the story was nothing new.

S

silverinvicta

I have to agree with T7... Good photography, GREAT, underwater footage....The rest ?.......Nothing really new.

Disapointed....

Si.............

Ribblerod

Just shows if you want to realy know about fish ask an angler, we spend our lives studying them

Good program on bears mind you! As has been said fish aint cute and cuddly - neither do they realy interest any but the anglers who study them!

jj1

sir david failed to mention marine harvests sea ranching project that has virtualy wiped out the runs of salmon on over 40 rivers in bc! sounds familiar!
can you imagine that our rivers 200 years ago would have had those volumes of salmon and sewin running them :(

sewinbasher

Watched it last night,

Very good film, nice landscapes, interesting content......then Sir David ruins it all by saying;

'unlike the atlantic salmon which can return to spawn many times...' or words to that effect:mad:

I think i read about 5% make it back to sea, the repeat spawners in a further year are a smaller percentage still (1-2%) most second or third year returning salmon are still 'maiden fish'

Why the hell do the researchers on the BBC make such a balls up of basic information such as this- that they could take out of almost any book on salmon fishing!!!!

Annoyed,

Andy
I picked up on that as well. In fact no matter how many years sea winters a salmon has, about 96% of them are maiden fish. All the multi-spawners are female.

In his defence Sir David didn't write the script, he only read it.

I would also dispute the claim that the salmon made an exploratory jump to see where the bears are before trying to get over the obstacle.

Ribblerod

Yeah, that did sound a bit "fairy tale" to me - giving fish the power of deduction and calculated planning!

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
The photography was great, and i enjoyed the film - it was to do with fish so i was happy. Not in the same league as Atlantic Salmon a life on the edge - which is stunning!

1. Had a few thoughts - The Salmon in the Sea looked a bit tatty - I wondered if they were filmed in a salmon farm net, it looked at one stage as if they were swimming in a circle?

2. I took the comment re the Atlantic to show the point that they dont all die as their pacific cousins. Whilst our grilse runs perhaps count for the majority of fish caught, we do get a good number of MSW fish - take the Springers on the Scottish Dee and Seven - yes a small % but they do come back. Is it really only 1 or 2% of our fish?

3. Whilst i accept that Salmon farming in that area is a problem, the Americans also do a lot for their rivers. In some areas you have to throw the guts of killed fish into the river, a process also adhered to by the natives americans in the area. This has a huge effect on the ecology.

4. They also stock vast amounts of fish into the rivers - just look at 'you tube' to get the idea.

5. Whilst they may have issues, they have far more fish than we do, the pictures of the pools looked stuffed, and this is mirrored by other websites/photos/videos i have seen. There is a huge difference. Im sure our rivers havent been like that for 100 years or more!

6. Im convinced the Salmon do have a peep before they leap, something i have watched and been told about on the Teme - heads popping through the white water and a few seconds later they are up. Dont know if they are looking specifically for the bears though!

Still will definately go there one day!

Anyhow for the best Salmon film - Life on the edge is brilliant and it is still discounted via seatroutfishing.net! Stunning!

Hoppy:)

Andy R

Hoppy, Sewinbasher, Ribblerod,

On the point of salmon making an 'exploratory' leap, I agree it's now't to do with bears- my understanding and observation is that it was to gauge the height of the fall.

I've seen it myself on a particular river in the north of scotland where just such a fall lets you see the salmon in the water and this 'gauging' behahaviour at close quarters. The salmon can be seen to come from fairly shallow depth to jump once or twice, then they circuit down and come up from 7 to 8 foot down to actual leap the fall.

You can see this from a rock perch 15 foot above the fall- I've promised the ghillie not to say where it is as it's a prime poachers spot (not saying anything about my fellow formum members of course) but I'm respecting a confidence.

Andy

Ribblerod

Yes, seen them doing this myself gaining confidence or even looking for were the water is perfectly within the IQ of a salmon- calculating what a Bear is and how to avoid it Total bumkum

bluecharm

- calculating what a Bear is and how to avoid it Total bumkum
Yes, total anthropomorphism for the uninitiated :rolleyes:

I wonder if Sir DA's writers also think that, when they jump around in a pool being fished, they think, "UhOh, better remember not to eat anything hairy and orange with a hook hidden in it" ??? :cool:

Enjoyed the documentary though.

BC.

PS. Is it just me, or did anyone else secretly harbour a desire to see the nutcase in the dry suit get what he was asking for .... ?

moonshadow

Hi Folks
Some very sweeping statements being made here. On what basis are you saying it is bunkum that salmon leap to see where the bears are.
Surely it cannot be from observations made in this country as our salmon do not come into contact with bears here.
I agree salmon are often credited with too much inteligence but I would not rule out evolution. Salmon for a long time have been surviving predators both at sea and in the rivers, and soon learn what is dangerous to their health.
What about smell, they smell their way back to their river of birth so why can they not smell a bear standing in the water, we know they hunt by smell.
Sorry not convinced

Moonshadow