Polyleaders help needed Please

scottdog

Can somebody give me some help either by word or even better a photo. I want to try and do a bit more fishing this season with the fly rod. Most of this will be done with a floating line but i was thinking of buying some of these polyleaders so that i can have a variation in presentation. Firstly do i need them. Where i fish is maybe 10 foot deep max and mostly 3-4 feet for the most part.

My floater has a braided loop on the end. How do you put the polyleader on?

Sorry if this seems very basic.

scott

Scott poly leaders are very effective when you want a little bit more depth or when fishing fast water. I started using them a couple of years ago on the River Weir which sounds pretty similar to the depths you talking about.

There is two types of poly leader one is Braided, the other looks like normal fly line. When using my single handed rod i prefer to use the Braided Poly leaders.

They are very simple to attach to your fly line you just join them using the loop to loop method you will see how to do this if you click on this link below.

http://www.graysofkilsyth.com/fishing-knots.htm#Loop to Loop

You will also find a few more useful knot that you might not know on this link.

Ribblerod

Now i have come to like these a lot- mainly in hover, intermediate and medium sink.
I do not like braided loops at all they can come loose if you dont glue them and create a hinge practically always. Creating a loop in the end of your flyline is realy easy Double it over and fasten with two nail knots of mono of about 10lb test and coat with wader adheasive like aquasure. Apply the adheasive sparingly then when almost set but still pliable with a bit of spit on your fingures taper and protect the joint. For an even better finish use a whip finish in Kevelar thread in place of the nail knots, remember however you must wrap tight enough for the thread to bite into the flyline coating. Again coat the wraps with aquasure to protect them.
Remember to test for strength when cured, though i have never had one break, even when used for heavy saltwater fishing - though i have broke the main fly line itself during testing. With a small and neat enough connection you will get no problembs winding these loops through the guides.

Simply use a loop to loop connection to attach tips!

sewinbasher

Some good advice already. I use Polyleaders extensively and like them. Just one word of further advice,when using a Polyleader with a floater or intermediate use the longer option as it will work better in finding the depth.

Also don't be lazy, recognise that as you wade down a pool that changes in depth you might need to change the sinking rate of the Polyleader several times.

Ribblerod

Sewin,
I agree wholehartedly with changing through the pool etc, though i preffer shorter ones with single hander. It's very much like the oldtimers used the greased line!!!