PDA

View Full Version : River Tamar & tributaries

otisthedog
27-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi all,

Don't know if there are many fellow Tamar/Lyd anglers on here, but thought I'd start a thread for the river between England and Cornwall :D

So far a handful of peal have been caught from the lower river during the day on fly - night fishing won't really start until mid May for those suffering with really bad peal fever, and June for everyone else.
Anyway, a mate saw a peal jump at the Lyd/Tamar junction yesterday, so they are starting to push through.

Loads of water in the river following an inch of rain over the last 24hrs. Today the Tamar at Polson rose from 8in to about 3ft and was still rising at about 4pm today. After low water for several weeks, it's perfect timing to bring the first peal and springers up to the middle river. However, thanks largely (I reckon) to maize field runoff and freshly tilled flood plain :rolleyes:, the river was running a horrific brick red colour - it's amazing that anything can survive it. It could well be the case that the level falls right back before the colour drops out.

Anyone else fish the Tamar here???

Cheers

Tim

Dusty Miller
28-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Fingers crossed for some steady rainfall....

otisthedog
28-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Too right. As expected, the river has dropped right back yet is still a horrible colour :(

Dusty Miller
28-04-2009, 06:03 PM
When you start your night fishing in May/June will you go straight for balmy July/August tactics or will something else be in order? Slow sinkers or straight to the floater and Pilks Bumble?

otisthedog
29-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Prob start on the summer tactics (the 'dead-cert' lies are in shallow water), but with flies a size larger (ie 4s). Also worth fishing the deeper areas (donkey and railway pool spring to mind) with sunk lines. Having said that, Pilks and Bucks only ever use floaters... and they've had a fish fish or three over the years :)

Dusty Miller
29-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Also worth fishing the deeper areas (donkey and railway pool spring to mind) with sunk lines.

There must be a 4lber on the bend in Silver Doctor by now too:).

Silver Doctor in June with a bit of water on it:
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww270/dustymiller/SilverDoctor2.jpg

Dusty Miller
29-04-2009, 10:46 AM
My first of the year. Taken earlier this month on a Sunray Shadow and Int tip in daylight. Weighed about 2oz more than OtisTD's fish...:D:D

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww270/dustymiller/Peal.jpg

otisthedog
05-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Had this shiner today - a really fat, great condition peal - measured and released at 18in so 2lb ish. Was salmon fishing lower down on the river when it took a flamethrower in black and yellow. Not a bad scrap, even though 'twas on a 13-footer.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3311/3505139488_ef355182ed_o.jpg

We also saw two nice peal move today and I turned a decent fish that chased a big sunray shadow but wouldn't grab hold.
No sign of salmon about, but 'tis good to see a few early peal :)
The first of the very keen night fishers are out on the middle river this week...

Dusty Miller
06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Sponsored by GoreTex now?:D

squirrelblue
10-05-2009, 07:32 PM
BBC1 Countryfile,
gona be trapping salmon on the Taymar.

Dusty Miller
12-05-2009, 10:35 AM
The first of the very keen night fishers are out on the middle river this week...

Did they have any joy?

newtrouter
12-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Just a small Sea Trout around 2.5lbs

otisthedog
12-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Did they have any joy?

Haven't heard anything. I managed to lose a fish at night, lower down the river - a couple of fish moved as it got dark, then an otter went through. All went quiet. Later on I fished with a sunk line and tube, the fish was on and off within 5 seconds :rolleyes:
Still, 'tis early yet.

otisthedog
20-05-2009, 11:22 PM
We had the first salmon AND first sea trout off the Arundell Arms water this season today. David Pilkington fished the tail of Silver Doctor pool on the Lyd with a size 4 black wooly bugger this afternoon in coloured water. He landed and released a peal of 19in (2 1/2lb +), missing another fish.
At around 8.30pm this evening, Gerald Spiers hooked a fish after just a few casts on the Tamar's Quarry Pool on a big red templedog of his own tying. The spanking salmon was not at all happy and tried to leave the pool... some fun on a 10ft 8-wt in big water :D
The fish was measured at 74cm (9lb ish) and swam away strongly.

Nice work folks :cool:

Things are looking great for the weekend

wiganer
06-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi guys

I am in Plymouth for a couple of weeks in a few weeks time and was wondering if and where day tickets can be purchased?

Cheers Wiganer

Dusty Miller
09-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Here are three starters for you:

http://arundellarms.blogspot.com/
http://www.endsleigh-fishing-club.com/
http://www.gethooked.co.uk/featured/launceston_angling/launceston_anglers_association.htm

Otisthedog will no doubt post on here about the first one for you. To be honest, given the time you will be in the area he should have the cream of the sport on his water. Good luck.

otisthedog
09-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi Wiganer,

We should be able to book you a beat on the Tamar or Lyd for a day/night ticket, no problem. Give the hotel a call (01566 784666) either between 9am and 10am or 6.30pm and 7pm (7 days a week) and ask for either David Pilkington or me (Tim). Also check out www.fishtamar.co.uk
It's actually well worth fishing at the moment (earlier than usual for our rivers) - there are some very nice fish about and conditions are great ;)

Here's one of three from last night on the Lyd. 4lb 12oz - had to knock it as deeply hooked and bleeding badly. The others (1 1/2 and 2lb) went back fine.
All fish were caught using a midge tip and a variant of Pilk's Bumble - the WMD (weapon of mass destruction :D)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3565/3610568512_e5cf2424ec.jpg

otisthedog
11-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Three more spanking fresh fish landed in the last couple of days, with very light fishing pressure. Best fish (last night) was 20in (3lb +), caught on a Pilk's Bumble by Chris Winsor on Home Beat on the Lyd.
Water levels are looking perfect for night fishing this weekend :)

otisthedog
12-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Looked fishy last night - plenty of cloud and a bit of warmth, but it cleared out and turned cold (fleece & jacket) before midnight.
Had a storming take early on... managed to miss it by not paying attention, and my pal lost a fish of a couple of pounds on a Bumble in his first few casts. Switched to the fast glass and WMD stinger and ran through the same pool about an hour later, within a few casts had a lovely fish of just over 2lb on the bank. Fished on til about 2.30am, and despite hearing the odd fish jump and raising a couple on a mouse... no more takers.
While strimming a couple of the Lower Lyd beats in the afternoon, spotted several pods of fish, mostly 2-4lb, but also spotted a cracker of well over 7 (a monster for this river)... 'tis looking like a very promising peal summer :)

Tim

otisthedog
13-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Managed to sneak out for a couple of hours last night - perfect conditions, high cloud, warm and muggy - could have fished in a t-shirt.
Didn't hear a fish move, but landed and returned a lovely fish of around 2lb on a size 4 WMD on the midge tip within 15 mins of starting. Otherwise it was quiet, and I was back home by 1am.
Once again, some very good fish (4-5lb) spotted on the lower Lyd during yesterday.

Tim

otisthedog
16-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Went out with a couple of mates on the lower Lyd last night. Didn't look very promising with a sudden temp drop as it got dark. Thick mist everywhere, except on the water.

Had two spanking fresh fish (1 1/2lb and 2lb) in quick succession - one on the midge tip and size 4 single WMD, one on the fast glass and stinger WMD. Also missed a 'sitter' (line ripped out of my hands :rolleyes:) and another good pull.
One of my pals also had two fish (similar size) from a few pools upstream early on on a Pilk's Bumble and full floater.
I stopped off at a small pool on the way home for 10 mins and in the last casts in the tail hooked a good fish that went beserk. Absolutely awesome peal acrobatics in a very small pool on a 6wt outfit. The fish measured just over 21in - I would say nearer 4lb than 3lb. The smallest fish is now sat in the fridge chilling out, and the other two went back just fine. :D

A great session and in bed for just after 1am. Proper job

Tim

PS: we have beats free this weekend... and prospects are GOOD ;)

otisthedog
16-06-2009, 11:29 PM
A couple of pics from last night:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3590/3634011166_15915c10af.jpg
The two fish kept (a mate's fish above, and mine below - 1lb 8oz a piece we reckoned).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3415/3633193957_34a48be9de.jpg
The best fish prior to release. Bad pic, but 'tis a 21in frame net :)...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3650/3634052274_fab6d7749d.jpg
...and the pool where it was caught.

Otis

otisthedog
18-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Was REALLY cold last night. Lots of mist from about 10pm and three of us were shivering by 11!
Dave (on his third night peal session ever, having caught one first time out :)) had a cracking, bright silver two-pounder on the bank within 5 mins of starting. The fish took a size 4 Pilk's Bumble fished on kelly green intermediate. I think it's fair to say he is now a terminal sufferer of peal fever.
Gerald lost a nice one (also on a Bumble) very early on too.
I missed a couple of good takes, and then about 1am fished with a fast glass and WMD stinger, landing and returning a fish of about 1 1/2lb. I also lost a bigger fish about 5 mins later.
In the end (after trying a couple of my 'on the way home' pools further down the river) I got to bed at 2.30am with nothing more to show for it.
Considering the horrible conditions (fleeces & jackets and still FREEZING) I think we were lucky.

Tim

Dusty Miller
19-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Much activity to surface lures?

otisthedog
19-06-2009, 11:16 AM
To be honest, the other lads left early on and I stuck to fishing deep and slow so didn't try the mouse.
The weather is all over the place at the moment, and I just feel more confident putting a fly right in front of their noses than getting them to move from the lies.
... but you never know!

stig
20-06-2009, 08:11 PM
:) Strangely enough I seem to be having better sport on those evenings that it does go cold and the mist is on my back.Weird but I'm not one to complain:)

otisthedog
21-06-2009, 07:19 PM
I'd still prefer it cloudy and mild. Oh, like this evening :D
Looking good...

Three fish landed over the last couple of cold nights, best one a silver cracker of 2lb 12oz caught by Craig Pilkington on the Tamar... on a Bumble of course! His father David also had a fish of around 1lb 1/2, and Adam Fox Edwards released one of around 2lb last night. Most fish seem to be 1 1/2lb to 2 1/2lb at the moment, with several fish of 5lb + heard here and there. Big peal (over 5lb) aren't often a feature of the Tamar / Lyd run, so it's encouraging to know they'm there...

otisthedog
22-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Despite being textbook 'perfect' conditions last night... it was a tricky one.
Very quiet for the first hour and a half except for a take that could have dislocated a shoulder.
Peal Jedi David Pilks then proceeded to show me how it's done by landing and releasing a fish of around 1 1/2lb. Shortly afterwards he hooked another fish, that he just couldn't control. What must have been a huge fish tore up and down the river before coming off...
A few minutes later I had a fish take a 2 1/2in lure static, off the top as soon as it hit the water - just like a dry - very strange. The fish conformed to the textbooks by thrashing angrily on the top before spitting the fly back at me.
After that short burst of activity... nothing!

otisthedog
23-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Great conditions again last night until it cleared and went cooler at around midnight. Twas tricky. Heard a few fish move and saw some crackers of 4 - 6lb during the day (a couple with fungus/markings on their heads as per reports from the Dart).
Managed a nice bright fish of 1 1/2lb that took a size 8 Pilk's PR on the dropper, but no other takes. The fish seem to be a little picky at the moment... hopefully Dusty Miller will find a taker or six tonight :D

Dusty Miller
24-06-2009, 08:37 PM
All I found was a cheque book and pen.
Started at 10.30pm and the conditions were good. Heard two fish move in Thunder and Lightning and had a couple of knocks on the Goats Toe but nothing stuck. Temperature then dropped noticeably and it all went quiet. Heard a fish in Mar Lodge but it was light enough with the clear sky that you could actually see your hand in front of your face down there (so far too bright really). Fished it all the way back up to Hairy Mary but nothing doing. Clock ticking for a June peal...

Some pics:

The view while setting up
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww270/dustymiller/jun09002.jpg

Jock Scott pulpit
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww270/dustymiller/jun09004.jpg

Torrish
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww270/dustymiller/jun09006.jpg

Tail of Mar Lodge
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww270/dustymiller/jun09007.jpg

"Just 10 more minutes...":)
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww270/dustymiller/jun09009.jpg

otisthedog
25-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Nice pics Dusty - the Lyd valley is a bit special :)
Out last night and - as the better beats were taken - decided to experiment by fishing somewhere I'd not tried at night before on the Tamar.
Have found the fishiest night peal pool I think I've ever fished. Only had time for a quick run down as was due to meet a couple of folks further downstream. Hooked and lost two fish - the first around a pound, and the second (which I could have sworn was well hooked) around three. Still came away chuffed having found a 'new' bit of night fishing water :D

All very quiet the last couple of nights on the Lyd however. The fish are there, but they aren't up for taking. An inch or two extra water should stir things a little, but I dunno if we're going to get it.

otisthedog
27-06-2009, 01:36 PM
On Wednesday, a guest had two to 2 3/4lb (both returned) and was broken by a huge fish. As was another angler on Thursday. And another on Monday. There are some beasts about!

Lovely conditions last night - t shirt weather at 2am!
Heard lots of fish jump, including a couple of hogs. Managed two bars of silver to 2 1/2lb (both returned) and lost another, fishing a Bumble and a size 8 Black & Silver on a slow glass line, but felt I should have had more offers with the amount of activity and fish spotted during the day. The peal are there but a little tricky - most being caught are on smaller flies in the size 8 bracket in what is now very low water on the Lyd.
However, it's been a very good June. 80% of our peal get caught in July and as such the 5 yr average for June is about 10 fish - we have had 31 so far this month, with relatively little fishing pressure :)

Dusty Miller
27-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Managed two bars of silver to 2 1/2lb (both returned) and lost another

Were these from your secret new pool?:D

otisthedog
27-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Nope...

Jock Scott & Hairy Mary.
Going back to the 'new pool' next week methinks...

Dusty Miller
02-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Nice 2lber from 3B the other night. Great sport on the 8' 5wt.
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww270/dustymiller/2lbDonkeyPool.jpg

Messing around with the camera. Successful Black Doctor waddington.
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww270/dustymiller/BlackDoctor004.jpg

Think OtisTD was on an all nighter last night (sea trout fishing on 3B that is) so watch this space....

otisthedog
02-07-2009, 11:27 AM
:D
Didn't quite make the all-nighter... after a long day at work (in that bl*ody heat!) I was flaking at about 3am :o.
Very warm night - lots of cloud, fishing in a t-shirt for most of it.
Had three fish: 1lb, 3lb, 3 1/2lb and lost a schoolie - kept the pounder. The fish took a size 6 WMD, apart from the biggest one which took a mouse :D. Missed another couple of takes and heard several decent fish move including what sounded like a cow falling in as I walked past Bridget's pool on the way home!

Will post a couple of pics

Tim

otisthedog
04-07-2009, 11:21 AM
A couple of pics from Wednesday night...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3615/3681534914_84a897bc7f.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2484/3680718099_1fa0d82a42.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2423/3681532482_eb1a502ec6.jpg

The pools are rapidly filling up with schoolies, with some big fish among them. Guests (mainly new to night fishing) caught 6 last night to 3lb 12oz, with several fish lost. DP fished for 20mins whiles guiding on Thursday - lost one, landed one and had five other offers. Looking like a very promising July :D

otisthedog
05-07-2009, 02:14 PM
14 fish to 2 1/2lb landed last night, with 9 from the Tamar on a very underfished beat (8 of them from a short section of one pool!). More and more schoolies are creeping up every night - lovely job :D

otisthedog
06-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Thankfully (for the night fishers) the rain seems to have passed us by (so far), and the rivers still remain low and clear. The wind, however, is howling. A couple of trout fishers today have had run-ins with large silver fish taking their nymphs and have reported seeing many peal in most pools. Total number of peal landed last week was 39 to 3lb 12oz. Given more serious angling pressure, we should be looking for a week's total of well over 50.

otisthedog
07-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Another 8 fish landed on the Lyd last night - all spanking schoolies.
Rivers all rising and colouring at the moment, which should bring more peal and hopefully a few salmon :)

Dusty Miller
07-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Had a very enjoyable night's fishing with Otis last night. Otis got off to a great start with 5 fish landed in the first 45 mins or so - all victims of his WMD. I reckon he plays those smaller fish for at least 12 seconds each...

Plenty of schoolies splashing around and nipping at the fly. Just one schoolie landed to my rod for the night but plenty of action to keep the blood going. Tried a riffled hitch later on (2-3am) and raised a good number of fish (>10) including one in the 4lb area. Fingers crossed this water freshens everything up for the arrival of the main body...:)

otisthedog
07-07-2009, 10:14 PM
all victims of his WMD. I reckon he plays those smaller fish for at least 12 seconds each...

The WMD landed 7 out of the 8 fish caught last night :p
12 seconds is a bit generous. They'm in the net on the second jump. Good ol' seaguar :D:D:D

Am thinking this lift in water is perfect - not too much, just a kick up the a*se for some serious schoolie sessions

I was in great company last night - always a pleasure sir

Tim

otisthedog
10-07-2009, 01:52 PM
19 fish off the AA beats so far this week, with Tuesday lost due to high water and very, very cold nights with a big moon and no cloud cover. Still, two lads on a 'Macnab' yesterday (fly-caught wild brown trout, bass and peal in a day) both made it, finishing up with their first night time sea trout (best 2 1/2lb) at 1 am this morning. Oh, and one of them had a small turbot on fly too :D
Looking for three more peal tonight to make the 100 so far this season :)

luap
11-07-2009, 02:22 PM
all victims of his WMD

:confused: Otis, it would be much appreciated if you could provide details of your WMD somewhere appropriate on the forum. Also the Pilk's Bumble if that is not the same thing.
:) Many thanks Luap

otisthedog
11-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Will do sometime soon luap :)

Now nearly on 110 for the season... but it's raining heavily :( so tonight may be a washout.

tandem
12-07-2009, 09:34 AM
How big are these fish Otis ? I'm barely past a dozen .:confused:

otisthedog
12-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi tandem,
Mostly sparkling silver schoolies now, with the odd 2 to 4 pounder. A 4lb peal is a good one on the Tamar system, although we've seen a number of bigger fish by day and several anglers have lost / been broken recently.

The Tamar is currently rising, and the Lyd falling/steady at about 10in. Once it clears and drops to <6in we'll be night fishing again.

Tim

PS: You can keep an eye on daily river levels here:

Tamar and Lyd River Levels (http://www.fishpal.com/England/Tamar/RiverLevels.asp?dom=Tamar)

tandem
12-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks OTD , will check that out . Off for a bit of salmon fishing this evening with Mr. Perfect , Dart has been well up , now on the way down .
An impressive catch by any measure .

otisthedog
12-07-2009, 06:34 PM
An impressive catch by any measure .

It's nowhere near the potential had all beats been fully booked every night. A long time ago, granted, but the AA water produced over 720 fish in the 1987 season, with 100 to 150 per week in July! 200+ would be a good season these days.

otisthedog
12-07-2009, 11:37 PM
As requested by Luap...
It's basically a cross between a Pilk's Bumble and a Stoat's Tail. Nothing original, just quick to tie and ticks all the boxes!

WMD

Hook: 4X longshank (Partridge D3STF are the best :))
Body: Black seal's fur
Rib: Flat silver tinsel
Hackle (1): Black cock
Hackle (2): Teal
Wing: Black arctic fox (with a couple of strands of pearl flash underneath)

For the stinger version I add JC cheeks and an underwing of bucktail to minimise wrapping of the wing.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2603/3714724056_d7699c07c8.jpg

otisthedog
12-07-2009, 11:45 PM
David Pilkington's must-have pattern for sea trout (and the occasional salmon) on the Lyd & Tamar

PILK'S BUMBLE

Hook: 4X longshank (specifically Partridge D3STF in size 4 and 6)
Body: Black wool
Body hackle: Black cock
Rib: Oval silver tinsel / silver wire
Hackle: Teal

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2467/3714762510_a34d61bdac.jpg

luap
13-07-2009, 07:25 PM
As requested by Luap...

Many thanks for the information. I will give them a try on the Teign. We are also having a good season for sea trout but not much news of salmon and the rain we have had hasn't done more than raise the river a few inches with very little extra colour.
Hope the sea trout fishing continues as now.
Thanks again.
Luap

stump
13-07-2009, 10:09 PM
I like to fish a bumble on the dropper...

Bumble variants..
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p232/stumpyguy01/seatrout003.jpg

STUMP,,,

tandem
14-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Nice work , what flat tinsel do you use otis ? I've tried several that just get ripped to shreds after a fish or two or er.... trees and ..stuff .

otisthedog
14-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Cheap and cheerful Lureflash stuff Tandem... and yes, it does fall apart after a tree/rock or two. Good job they'm quick to tie :D

Dusty Miller
14-07-2009, 02:05 PM
I avoid this problem by leaving the whole fly in the tree. If using a dropper I will always make sure that the bob fly gets caught - that way I can lose both flies.

otisthedog
14-07-2009, 02:07 PM
I avoid this problem by leaving the whole fly in the tree. If using a dropper I will always make sure that the bob fly gets caught - that way I can lose both flies.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Are you coming to Peal-Fest 2009 on 8th Aug Dusty?

Ta ta

Tim

Dusty Miller
14-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Pencil me in for 9B as I won't know until a couple of days beforehand.

otisthedog
15-07-2009, 10:28 AM
18 fish landed (with a couple of returns yet to receive) on the Lyd in the last two nights in HORRIBLE conditions.

Managed to get a bit of fishing in myself last night - what a night to try! Barometer dropped like a stone in the evening, and hurricane winds, torrential rain soon followed, making it very hard to avoid the trees :p The river started rising slowly at around 11pm and rose by about 2in over the next two hours. In the end I hooked six fish, landed three with the best at around 2lb. Lost a good few flies, replaced several twisted and tangled leaders. Swore a lot. There are a good number in all of the beats, we could just do with some more pleasant conditions in which to try and catch them!

Tim

otisthedog
17-07-2009, 01:20 PM
8ft + flood on the Tamar and plenty of extra water on the Lyd has scuppered night fishing for several days at least :(

There should soon be a salmon or two about though

Tim

otisthedog
20-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Tamar is still big and relatively dirty, but dropping and clearing. Ghillied for a young lad today who, despite conditions, landed four peal to just under 5lb on a 13fter, inter line and 4in orange Templedog. Apart from a suspicious take, there was no sign of mr salar as was the mission, but the big peal fought like a beast :D

Went out on the Lyd last night despite a river running too high (only likely chance of fishing myself this week). Controlling the line was very difficult and I didn't hold much hope. Started in the neck of a pool just after dusk and hooked something very large (salmon I think, rather than peal). It came off through simple bad angling trying to stop it running :o. Went on to one of the very few areas where the current allowed more control and ended up landing a fish of between 22 and 23in (I reckon 4 1/2lb+)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3493/3739675173_3a087c70f7.jpg I made sure I let it run that time :D Both fish took a size 4 WMD on a midge tip line

Several fish about, but the rivers need to lose 6in really, which is looking like several days still.

Tim

otisthedog
21-07-2009, 01:07 PM
... and they are all now rising again :(

otisthedog
27-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Just back from the game fair to find all rivers up and coloured yet again.
Last week 14 peal came off the AA beats to just under 5lb - all caught during the day on fly. One regular angler landed two salmon on Thursday on fly, returning both. Best fish was estimated 12-14lb and sea-liced, hooked at the junction of the Tamar and Lyd. The fish took a big Black and Orange tube.

When will the rain stop? :(

otisthedog
01-08-2009, 11:52 PM
honest :rolleyes:

Huge rivers, not looking like falling. What was heading for a great peal season has, for the third year running, turned into a washout. The Arundell Arms chart has recorded over 170 fish, but that's with the best month (July) being mostly unfishable.
The metalwork is now out to try and salvage a few days for desperate fishers on the river. As such we've had 18 peal this week, losing a couple of days thanks to a 10ft+ flood on Tamar and 6ft+ flood on Lyd Thurs/Fri.

And where are the salmon :confused:

Tim

PS two very happy anglers this week though; one, who had never caught a sea trout, landed 11 in his 6 hrs fishing. Another had his first sea trout for 25 yrs. Big grins all round.

luap
03-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Many thanks for the information. I will give them a try on the Teign. Luap
Thanks again for the WMD & Pilks Bumble info. I have now had a couple of small fish on WMDs from the Teign. The river holds lots of small peal now but the bigger fish are still catchable (sometimes). The Teign clears very quickly but I hope the Tamar drops to a reasonable level for the weekend. :confused:

otisthedog
03-08-2009, 05:51 PM
I have now had a couple of small fish on WMDs from the Teign.
Only a couple? :D

Tamar and Lyd both currently in PERFECT daytime fishing order. Hope for no more rain tonight

luap
04-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Only a couple? :D

Still using other flies as well but had a great couple of hours last night on the Teign. Broken on first take using a black and red 1" tube and I replaced it with a WMD. This produced three fish to 3-11.:)
Here they are. The smaller one would have gone back if it hadnt bled when unhooking it.
Thanks again.
Luap

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv357/wahsrof/090803Ashton3-111-9.jpg

otisthedog
04-08-2009, 10:05 AM
You beauty! Nice work sir :D

Tim

PS: sorry you can't make the do

otisthedog
04-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Had a free morning and the hotel guests all chose to fish the Lyd, leaving one of our prime Tamar beats free :D
With heavy rain overnight and constant showers during the early morning, the river was rising rapidly.

Working down the Lyd/Tamar junction pool with the river raging... hooked this one... 30in (10lb est), fittingly on a Tempeldog version of a Junction Shrimp. Got two bootfuls of water having to follow the fish downstream, but twas worth it.

By lunchtime both the Lyd and Tamar were yet again unfishable :(

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2493/3789159695_d52d291ae5.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3582/3789972204_5280dd195c.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3486/3789158641_98915a3bce.jpg

stig
04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Let's hope we don't get any more of the wet stuff before the weekend:D The chairman had to take to the water on Sunday with a fish estimated to be double the size:eek: It broke him in the end though.:(

Dusty Miller
04-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Nicely done, Sir. I don't see the "old skool" reel though... :D

DAZ
04-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Nice fish,great pix :cool: Well done you!..

DAZ

paul white
05-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Lovely colour water....shows that they can be caught on fly as well as spinner in water with very little clarity....just what Falkus always said.:)

Well done!

Paul

Tawpug
05-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Proper job Otis - one or two about I see!

I bet that was fun in that heavy water.

regards

Tawpug

otisthedog
06-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Proper job Otis - one or two about I see!

Cheers folks :)
Only one or two though - a bit quiet on the salar front really :confused:

The Tamar should just be coming into perfect order (albeit big) today. By yesterday pm the Lyd was high but a lovely colour...

Dusty Miller
16-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Fished the lower Lyd last night. Water is still running about 3-4" on the high side but has cleared nicely. With the ground so saturated it's taking some time for the river to drop back to summer levels and a nice height for steady night fishing.

Tried some of the streamy necks with smaller flies (#12-14 TBS/Stoats Tails) as the light was fading. Was hoping to run into a fresh run grilse somewhere but sadly nothing doing.

Started at about 9.30pm with not much showing. Fished a floater with an intermediate poly and two flies: #12 Mallard&Claret dropper and a #8 WMD on the point. With no luck in the first pool I moved to a dark hole of a pool that always holds fish. Landed a schoolie (on the smaller dropper curiously), lost another and had 4 or 5 savage pulls in a 20-30 minute window. Fished on until about 2am with no further joy. Only heard two or three fish splashing about all evening and didn't manage to raise anything to the surface lure either.

I think the fish are still running well at this height and I think I was lucky to be stood in the right spot as a small run of schoolies came through. If we get a decent spell of dry weather and the river continues to drop steadily then prospects should be good in 5" time.

otisthedog
19-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Nice one Dusty.

The rivers have dropped back a little further - another inch and the Lyd will be spot on.
Fished last night with a mate on the Lyd. He landed two fish to 3lb on a King Tickler (don't ask :rolleyes::D) and I lost two, including a chunky b*gger on a WMD. Both flies were size 8s.
Heard just 3 fish move, despite the guest who fished the same beat the night before hearing fish all over the place. 'Tis how it goes I spose!

Seems a bit odd night fishing again after a break of over a month thanks to that rainy stuff!

Tim

otisthedog
30-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Tis a little tricky at present. Lots of water have meant that the fish are well scattered and you just don't have that feeling of fishing over many peal.
Went out for an hour this eve. Seemed dead. Decided to go through the motions with a mouse and ended up raising a big fish. Gave it a couple of rollies before fishing over the same lie with a fast glass and 2 1/2in Stinger... bang - schoolie! But spanking fresh! Put the fish back and went home. You are now going out knowing that it's a case of working hard to get fish, and you have to be in the right frame of mind to persist. Alas the beer was calling this eve!
Very few salmon on AA beats, but I did see a good pod of fish moving through a lower Tamar stretch a couple of days ago.

Cheers

Tim

otisthedog
21-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Computer problems have meant a lack of reports recently :o
The Lyd is now back to near summer level and very clear. Plenty of peal present, including some fresh schoolies. Went out last night after having packed the peal rods away for the year, and landed and returned two silver schoolies on a 2in stinger and fast glass line. VERY cold, with mist coming off the water from about 9pm. A pal fishing with me landed a fish of 3lb+ on a Bumble, which was well coloured. May have to have one more night before the season closes on the 30th.
Salmon fishing is slow due to the low water and lack of fish in general, although at Endsleigh a friend and I landed four in 24hrs on the fly, including three to 33 inches on stripped Sunray Shadows - lots of fun :D All fish were released.
Withough more rain, salmon fishing is effectively on hold up at Lifton, but rods fishing lower down should catch a fish or two.

Dusty Miller
21-09-2009, 10:52 AM
With the river so low and clear I tried a dawn raid on the middle river yesterday. Managed a colouring 10lber on a Black Doctor templedog on my last three casts before heading back in for breakfast.

Not only did the fish bring my run of 16 Tamar blanks to an end (:eek::D) but it was also my first fish since switching to barbless single carp hooks with tubes (using Owner C6-BLs). The fish jumped a few times but the hook held so pretty confident with them.

Doesn't feel like many fish about at the moment with intermittent pods of fish sneaking through to the middle river where they can. Fingers crossed for some rain...

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww270/dustymiller/10lb-1.jpg

Dusty Miller
02-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Fished the middle river yesterday - we are desperately in need of some rain now :rolleyes:. Fishing effort was limited to the few stretches/pools with enough water to hold any fish at this height. I fished big tubes, small micro tubes, Sunrays, deep, high, slow, fast and all points in between with no joy. The odd kipper showing but otherwise it was noticeably quiet. Another rod released a nice sea trout of 2-3lb (the peal season had closed the day before).

With two weeks to go the window of opportunity is closing fast. All we can hope for now is a good 5'+ clear out (which the river really needs) and some good fishing on the upper river in the closing days. If we don't get the water then the middle and lower river should continue to pick up the odd fish into the close (helped by some bigger tides over the next week). My guess would be good conditions anytime from the 15th :D!

Dusty Miller
02-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Otisthedog on the telly :eek::eek:

http://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/yoursport/chalkstream/

then click on "Clotted Cream Macnab" on the right hand side

otisthedog
06-10-2009, 10:30 AM
That's the one with the GIANT bass :rolleyes: :D

otisthedog
24-10-2009, 09:22 AM
The salmon season is now closed on the Tamar and tributaries. We ended up with a disappointing 23 fish (over 90% returned) on Arundell Arms beats and another 8 from our rods on beats lower downstream - well down on last year's 50. This sadly seems to follow a nationwide trend for 2009. However, following a small rise of water in the last week, numbers of fish entered the river, so hopefully they were just late.

The trout and sea trout season ended on the 30th September, with the last sea trout of 2009 landed and returned just before midnight on the Thrushel. The season's total sea trout catch of 253 (on AA beats) is the best since 1999. If the peak four weeks of the season hadn't been lost due to relentless high water, we are confident an extra 100 fish at the very least would have been added to the records. For those lucky enough to have fished when the conditions were right, some truly superb sport was had with plenty of school peal and a good number of fish of 2 to 5lb.

Trout fishing was also very good, with 2204 wild brown trout recorded. Like the sea trout fishing, weeks were lost due to high water, but May in particular was fantastic with 684 fish recorded. A good number of trout of 10 to 14in were landed by happy anglers.

For pics and videos of the last day:

http://arundellarms.blogspot.com/

Til next year

Tim