Spiderwire Ultracast INVISI-BRAID

LuckyLuke

Hi all wanted to know if anyone has any experience with it - i personally use the stealth braid and been reasonably happy with it but i need to buy some new braid this year and wanted some input

LL

S

stump

The 'Spider wire' is like a wire when it went through my rings,found it very harsh to be honest and didn't think much of the knott strength either...i wouldn't use anything other than 'Power Pro' these days...

stump....

S

silverinvicta

I've been using Power-Pro for a couple of seasons now. Spooled up a couple of multipliers as well, for sea fishing.. Cant fault it.
The colour may fade, and the line go white. This is not harmful to the line,and it's easily re-coloured with a Pantone if anyone is worried.. It only happens to the parts in the water a lot, ie, towards the end of the line. It's a peculiarity of some types of braid which wont take dyestuff well.
It's still a belting line....

Si.....

Last edited:

Halcyon

What breaking strain (power pro) would you recommend for a fixed spinning reel for sea trout.

Halcyon

S

stump

Halcyon, i use 30lb for seatrout which might seem a bit over the top but the diametre starts to get a bit too thin under this and really can eat up the best of rod rings(Fuji's or ceramics)..you can use the it for your bait fishing and salmon fishing aswell..i like to use the heavier strain of braid as a mono trace is used and this has more stretch than the braid so sometimes a lighter braid will break before the mono when pulling when stuck in a snag etc as the braid has no stretch.....

i use 60lb for my heavy water work on larger rivers(flying c's etc 25 gram+)find it goes easier on the rings with exessive casting of heavier baits all day and with use of heavy traces of 20lb + in the snaggy area's..

stump...

Last edited:

Ribblerod

i should go power pro 30lb also, however do not forget mono, co-polymer and flourocarbon - it still works and to be fair has many advantages over braid when a little bit of stretch is not an issue (indeed it can be a good thing). Ten or more years back i like most was braid crazy now i use it perhaps only 20% of the time i pick up any spinning rod;)

LuckyLuke

thanks for the heads up guys - since i need braid i guess then ill stump for the power pro and see how it goes this season

Last edited:

penhwyad 2

You can't go wrong with Powerpro, it is extremely user friendly. There is a huge difference in price depending on which supplier you are looking at. I get mine from www.SeaFishingSupplies.co.uk They are based in Jersey (I think). Delivery is 2-3 days and you are informed by e-mail of the status of your order. Most importantly they are up to 50% cheaper than the more well known suppliers.

When you're spooling it onto your reel make sure you use some mono backing and wind the braid on under quite a lot of tension to avoid slippage. Generally, the main problem with braid is wind knots caused by loose braid coming off the spool when casting. To avoid this, fill your spool to about 2mm less than you would if you were filling it with mono. Also, once you've made your cast, hook your finger over the braid and bring your rod tip back until it begins to curve under tension then clip the bale arm over BY HAND. Sounds quite time consuming but it quickly becomes second nature and avoids any loose coils on your spool.