Cound Brook 2009

popejr

On a Prince Albert Angling Society working party today near Shrewsbury today which finished unexpectedly early.

Luckily had the fly tackle with me in case of such an eventuality.

Ten minutes later saw me at the Cound Brook.

Though the water was low and rising fish were rare, managed to catch three of the brooks lovely little browns on H.E nymphs.

The River
IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

First Cound brook fish of the season
IMG_2364.jpg

And another lighter coloured fish
IMG_2370.jpg

JR

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
JR, we were on a working party yesterday at Folly? Were you there?

Shame we couldnt have met up, but maybe soon.

Hoppy:)

popejr

No Hoppy,I was on the Isle.

The straw bales that were due to be placed in the lake did not arrive, so I had a little longer than expected on the brook.

Hopefully see you on the brook during the season.

JR

Neilh

I spent a couple of hours on the Cound with Hoppy a week or so ago. It was really hard going, just the one fish apiece and despite the photos below the conditions were far from ideal - a strong breeze/gale and cold with it.

a good-sized wild brownie for Hoppy - well over a pound I would think.

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Neil,

It was a shame the mayfly weren't fully out - they are making an appearance now - but the river is rising!!!

Some shots from last week

another good trout from Neil

Hard going but worth the effort, in 1 week it will fly!!!

Hoppy;)

popejr

Had a couple of hours in between the storms on Sunday.

Only brought two fish to hand, missed lots of rises and had a few brief encounters.
Great hatch of olives to which the trout were risng well.
A bit of colour in the water but no great amount of extra water.

Quite a few mayflies, fish still ignoring them.

JR

outside

Thought I would revive this thread in the spirit of seeing how people have done here this year. I popped down after work tonight, just for a short while, caught a chub and a 7 inch brownie, missed one more. Dead low. I have caught half a dozen small fish this year from it, a couple at mayfly time and the rest at other times. Any sizeable fish come out?

popejr

At seasons end

At seasons end

Thanks to outside for reviving the thread.

Looked through my photos from this year to try and remeber what kind of season it has been for me. Think on average I have caught bigger fish than last year but less in number.

May,June and July were OK but struggled in the low water from August onwards. Some rivers seem to respond to a big dry fly in the fast riffles or small nymphs in slow pools during low water periods but neither seems to really work for me here.

As for the balsam, I think most rivers with no livestock are in a similar condition from Mid-July onwards, particularly those with so few fisherman about !. Have only met one other angler during my visits this year.

Here are some pics from this season.

may5.jpg

Early May

jun14a.jpg

jun14.jpg

June

jul5.jpg

July

sepchub.jpg

September chub

Unfortunately that is it for this season on the brook, elsewhere for some grayling now.

Regards
JR

outside

You're right, very little doing in low water. Its a shame, if only the cound had grayling it would be perfect. I'm going to have to seriously consider my ticket this year, I get much better value out of the rea brook I reckon! The Tanat seems hopeless and its a bit of a trek round the other waters, except maybe the Clun.

popejr

Don't give up on the Tanat ...
It has been pretty good for me this season.
Managed a few trout and grayling on there yesterday and a huge fish threw the fly after a short tussle.
Strangely the clubs stretch seems to fish better when there is not too much water.
JR

outside

Has that dam been rebuilt by the car park on the Tanat again? It was suggested that it was there for rather sinister reasons...

Glad to hear you have done well up there. I haven't given it a teriffic amount of time up there, but it seemed dire. The Tanat club do a lot of stocking though, perhaps it is trickling through...

outside

This business of balsam is not inevitable though, it is not that difficult to pull up, and a well organised club ought to be able to sort that out. Even hire a man for a day, as it is hard to raise a workparty in June.

It wouldn't be expensive to run down the bank with a hedgecutter to clear the rubbish either. It would only have to be done once in June

K

Kitefish

Hello Kitefish here
The title of this thread caught my eye as you are talking about some of the rivers I am very familiar with and all I have concerns for. Especially the Cound. I have also had some mixed reviews of late regarding the Tanat, especially with regard to the apparent decline in grayling catches. So if you also any concerns or similiar feelings about these or any rivers in the Severn catchment let me know. We need this sort of evidence to support detailed investigation and possible habitat improvement projects.

Hopefully you will be present on the evening of the 11th and we may be able to discuss.

Chris B EA