Removing memory from a line

richardjmiller

Hi all

Has anyone got any tips for straightening an Airflo 40+ (WF8 Floater)?

I used mine for the first time today after having been left on the reel all winter and while the main running line was OK, the head was very coiled.

Will use straighten it or should I try something else to remove the coils?

Grateful for any tips.

Thanks.

Richard M

Cromarty

I usually take my line off the reel as far as the backing and give it a wash with warm soapy water to clean it. This warms the line slightly. If you then stretch the line between your hands,this tends to remove most of the coils. Obviously,dress the line afterwards to ensure it floats ok.

I do this after the line has been on the reel all winter. Other things I've done in the past are tie to a bannister at the foot of the stairs and stretch the line to the bannister at the top of the stairs. Winding up and down keeping tension on it. I've left it like this for a couple of days.

In use,you'll find that most of the coils come out,but better to give it a bit of stretch first,IMHO.

Hope this helps

Tim

p.s. I'm assuming that the 40+ line has a stretchy core - if not,then someone else will have to give their ideas.

Richard best thing to do is strip the line of the reel and run it through your fingers a couple of times, or use a damp cloth.

Despite Airflo's bad name for line memory, there modern lines are not to bad it is probably just because it has being sat on you reel without any use over the Winter.

Paul

L

lochbois

tree or a post

tree or a post

I Have used a tree or a post i also attach it to my boot lid on the car before fishing and streching the line, worked for me every time .Once you start figure of eight retrieves you soon need to strech your lines.:)PB

S

silverinvicta

The 40+'s usually straighten ok after a few casts, mine is on a large arbour reel..I only use it for about 5 weeks of the yr, I have had no problems. ( Famous last words ?.... :D ) Whats your reel ?

Si.....

Ribblerod

Personally i think you shouldn't stretch a line then put it on the reel to store even onvernight - or day!!!!
only give it a strech when you are using it as required and never stretch a line that is twisted.;)

Reasons?
Stetch a line and then store it and it will gradually relax again but on the spool it cannot hence tight coils are locked in adding to the problem you were trying to solve.
Strech a twisted line and i think you can straighten the outer without the inner core - some say you burn in the twist but i cannot understand this term and nobody has ever known to explain to me so this is my theory to what happens, what i do know is don't do it ever it can ruin a good line

S

silverinvicta

Quote [The reel in question is an Airflo T6 - reasonably large arbored.] End

I would have thought that it would straighten after a few casts, or have you tried that ???

Si......

L

lochbois

My Memory

My Memory

I remember when i tried to buy an Airflo floating line and was strongly adviced to steer clear of them because of their memory.I ended up buying a Hardy line about £2O and still use it along with the blue cortland my other line. The same salesperson wouldnt sell me a pair of £I20 Orvis breathables because she didnt want to have to send them back to the dealers with the rest. My mate had a cracking Airflo rod it cracked when he had just started at Fewston Reservoir .Another expert a regular who fished on a season ticket at Blackton showed me the best rod he had ever cast it was the same Airflo rod my mate had sent back.I said to the expert that the top usually cracks off .He more or less said P**s off. Next time i saw him his brilliant rod was at Airflo waiting for a new top section. We p**s ourselves every time we see the tackle tart casting another new rod :D.PB

I remember when i tried to buy an Airflo floating line and was strongly adviced to steer clear of them because of their memory.I ended up buying a Hardy line about £2O and still use it along with the blue cortland my other line. The same salesperson wouldnt sell me a pair of £I20 Orvis breathables because she didnt want to have to send them back to the dealers with the rest. My mate had a cracking Airflo rod it cracked when he had just started at Fewston Reservoir .Another expert a regular who fished on a season ticket at Blackton showed me the best rod he had ever cast it was the same Airflo rod my mate had sent back.I said to the expert that the top usually cracks off .He more or less said P**s off. Next time i saw him his brilliant rod was at Airflo waiting for a new top section. We p**s ourselves every time we see the tackle tart casting another new rod :D.PB
I have only being using Airflo products for the last 3 years (Trout rod, Trout line, Sea Trout line, and Salmon line) and i can only say i have absolutely no faults with any of them, they all preform to a very very high standard.
I recon that Airlo are still suffering from a time when they must of made poor quality products, judging by peoples opinions.

richardjmiller

I have to say that, overall, I'm pleased with the Airflo products - the lines in particular I find great for night time fly fishing.

Easy to cast off a short line, roll casts, big lures etc - even for a casting dunce like me!

The T6 reel is OK but I'm not sure about the drag. I'm in the process of phasing my T6 collection out in favour of the Pflueger Trion.

bobronte

if it does the job you want it to do then keep using it.
Don't listen to the holy than thou, i only fish with..., its made in china and have more money than sense brigades to buy big branded names.......
yep they'll have all the gear but usually have no idea!

Personally I would bet that all manufacturers will have memory on stored lines

bb