Last orders

edstellar

Hi There.

Sorry if this is a daft question, and I suspect that this is going to be one of those that gets variable responses due to local factors. But are we getting to the the point in the year when its generally accepted ST stop appearing or running, and head back to sea?
First season and I'm interested to know about other peoples experiences - reason being I was out the other day/evening and...nothing...whilst two weeks ago they were everywhere...

perplexed.

Nightfisherman

Hi Stellared

The great majority of seatrout will not be returning to sea but heading up river to the spawning grounds at this time of year. Don't know where you are in the country or where on your river but here in the SW the rivers have been very high for the last 2-3 weeks and fish will move very quickly thru the lower reaches and on up to the hgher parts of the system. Like you, 2-3 weeks back plenty of fish (school peal) were showing but none or very few will show in the lower parts of the river now. Indeed for the last two months fish have been moving thru the lower pools in the rivers very quickly and not building up as they do in years when the water is low.

cheers
Nf