Salmon go wild in the River Dove

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Salmon go wild in the River Dove

On Monday 28 September 2009, the Environment Agency and the Trent Rivers Trust will be introducing 120,000 baby salmon into the River Dove at Eaton Dovedale as part of an ongoing project to re-establish a sustainable population of Atlantic salmon in the river.

A further 40,000 baby salmon will be released into the River Churnet. Both releases have been funded by Trent Rivers Trust.

To increase their chances of survival the salmon were reared at the Environment Agency’s Kielder Hatchery. The baby salmon, called fry, hatch in March. By the time they are ready to be released into the river they are known as salmon parr and are around 6–7cm long.

The young salmon will stay in the Dove and Churnet for up to two winters, where they will feed and grow to around 120mm. During this time they will develop their common silvery colour and a tolerance for seawater. This process, known as smoltification, prepares the salmon for their migration down to the sea. The salmon smolts will then start the arduous 130 mile journey down the River Dove to Burton and then on to Hull via the River Trent.

Despite their incredible journey across the Atlantic, some of the salmon will survive and return to the River Dove after spending the winter at sea. During this time, the salmon can grow up to between 5 and 40 pounds depending on how long they stay at sea. When they return to the river the fish can occasionally be seen jumping at the weirs when the river is running high.

Fisheries Team Leader, Phil Wormald, said of the project: “The River Dove was once famous for its salmon, but damage to the environment by developing industry virtually wiped them out. For many years these fantastic creatures were missing from the river. Monday’s release is part of our ongoing commitment to re-establish the salmon population for future generations to enjoy. We also do other projects such as habitat improvement and we plan put fish passes onto weirs, like the one we installed recently at Tutbury Weir, to make the salmon’s journey to its spawning grounds easier.”

Martin Stark, Chairman of the Trent Rivers Trust says “Salmon are icons. They experience this epic journey from freshwater to sea and back again. It was the activities of man which led to their decline but now river conditions have improved so much, we are delighted to be helping to restore a run of fish back to this famous river.”

This latest release follows the release of 160,000 young salmon into the Trent catchment a year ago (September 2008). Recent surveys carried out on the River Dove and River Churnet discovered fish that were stocked in 2008, indicating successful survival and good growth. Some of these fish were also identified migrating towards the sea during trapping surveys in the spring.

The fish are coming from our Kielder Hatchery by lorry and will involve a 5 to 6 hour trip. The fish will be stocked out quickly to avoid undue stress and therefore increase the survival rates so we suggest you aim to arrive by 12 noon.

120,000 fish are destined for the River Dove and a further 40,000 for the River Churnet.

Why do we need to restock the river?

As the Industrial Revolution swept through Britain during the nineteenth century, factory owners looked for new methods to feed their power hungry plants. Many of the industries located on the River Trent erected weirs to abstract water for their mills. The water quality of the Trent deteriorated dramatically and the temperature rose due to the discharge from power stations.

Salmon levels plummeted due to the combination of poor quality water and the presence of weirs. Over time, efforts by the Environment Agency have led to improvements in water quality which have enabled young salmon to return to the River Dove and Churnet.

ACW

Yes despite the racial purity stance I too beleive the Wye needs a huge stocking programe for a decade or two.

Andy R

Rant!

Rant!

Firstly thanks for Hoppy for putting this up....

Secondly: Rant:mad:

I really, really (rude word needed but not typed in) annoys me when I see the EA, fannying about with stocking salmon into a barely viable river such as the Trent, just to get a headline in the press and P.R. points that they are 'doing a good job'.

The Trent still has numbers of power stations and other pollutors effecting it in such as arable farming etc. which make the establishment of a viable salmon rod fishery a pipe dream- at least for the next 100 years or so.

This is our licence fee money going into a project that should only be addressed after other fishery improvements have been carried out and succeeded.

I'd place the Wye, the Welsh Dee, the Severn and many, many other rivers higher on the list than the Trent, that deserve these 120,000 smolts. Fair enough improve the water quality, improve the lot of coarse fish- for which the Trent was a river match mecca.

But please EA don't try these gimicky projects just to say the salmon are back in the Trent......it's like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Makes my blood boil.

Andy R

sewinbasher

Firstly thanks for Hoppy for putting this up....

Secondly: Rant:mad:

I really, really (rude word needed but not typed in) annoys me when I see the EA, fannying about with stocking salmon into a barely viable river such as the Trent, just to get a headline in the press and P.R. points that they are 'doing a good job'.

The Trent still has numbers of power stations and other pollutors effecting it in such as arable farming etc. which make the establishment of a viable salmon rod fishery a pipe dream- at least for the next 100 years or so.

This is our licence fee money going into a project that should only be addressed after other fishery improvements have been carried out and succeeded.

I'd place the Wye, the Welsh Dee, the Severn and many, many other rivers higher on the list than the Trent, that deserve these 120,000 smolts. Fair enough improve the water quality, improve the lot of coarse fish- for which the Trent was a river match mecca.

But please EA don't try these gimicky projects just to say the salmon are back in the Trent......it's like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Makes my blood boil.

Andy R
Good rant - I fully agree! They did much the same with the Thames and Taff and both are now struggling to sustain salmon, in the case of the Thames there are possibly no salmon ascending the river now.

Notwithstanding this I would have held the fish in the hatchery (or in ponds) until they smolted and then release them in a high water period to give a better survival rate. The 120,000 parr will be substantially thinned out before they get to smolt.

Last edited:

cff

Sounds good !.
120,000 Kielder 'baby' salmon going down the Trent from the Dove! WOW !

But they don't say how many big 'mother' ones will come back up.
Unfortunately, after two river-winters only some 20% or 24,000 will actually survive to smolt.

Nevertheless, those 24,000 smolts should produce 38 returning adult salmon for the Trent. Anglers (if allowed) might take 8 fish. The remaining naturally spawning 15 hens could produce eventually, an average 80 adults, or 100 adults if angler-unexploited.

Which is fine - and how it should be - a nett accumulating gain to the river - but only on condition that the initial broodstock would otherwise have been taken - and eaten or given away by anglers - not if they were removed especially as broodstock from a potential natural spawning population.

The 20 parent hens of the 120,000 'babies', left to their own devises, spawning naturally - would have actually produced 120 adults for their natal river - that's 60 - 80 more.

But who's counting ? Who cares ?

Not those involved it seems. The poor tiny creatures will be tankered some 150 miles - in 5 - 6 hours ? - then dumped 'quickly' and unceremoniously into the river - at noon - just for the press. But for the fish - completely at the wrong time of day and without any acclimatisation or any dispersal !.

So what counts ? The feel-good factor of course !.

I wonder what the Welfare of Animals (Transport) (England) Act 2006 has to say about it ?.

outside

Re: Thames Salmon. Apparently one of the Thames water sewage incidents that happen every time it rains did for the last of the Thames re-stock.

I was once told that ready smolted stockies adds to the acclimatisation problems.

But yes, the story is not entirely satisfactory is it.

Re: pollution, have you ever seen the monthly water resource notices for your local river, and how many of them are about the water board wishing to release raw sewage if it rains? Whats the point in putting tiddlers reared in purist Evian, into the discusting filth of low running river water. You don't need to be a fisheries scientist, you just have to smell the air, or watch the sanitary towels.

stig

There is a point to re-stocking

There is a point to re-stocking

In 1987 the river Camel lost most of it's migratory fish in a massive pollution incident that saw tonnes of aluminium sulphate dumped into the river. At the time the then N.R.A wouldn't allow any re-stocking to take place. Despite catch restrictions being imposed by all the major clubs on the river no real improvements were seen. In the last ten years or so attitudes have changed and alongside habitat improvement works a hatchery has been operating in various forms with fish being reared at several locations.Runs of Salmon appear to be improving- the Sea Trout stocks are still worringly low but are IMO getting better. I take the point that several members make but would argue that to have done nothing in this case would have been silly to say the least. The migratory fish in the U.K face more than a few problems, low flows during summer time caused by abstraction,pollution that is exaccerbated by these low flows, agricultural run offs that kill off invertebrates or encourage algal blooms, and strangely in some cases too much water that washes away spawning beds, poaching,overfishing of food sources at sea, disease and parasite attacks along with a host of obstructions placed in their way. It seems to make worrying about canoeists a little strange. Add a little bit of global warming into the pot and it all paints a pretty sorry scenario.
The only advice that I can give is look to those that are succeeding and try to learn from them, keep sharing knowledge and keep an open mind ;)

Andy R

Stig,

I full agree about the point of re-stocking, look at the Tyne amongst others- also the Dovey does Ok with it's seatrout....oh yes it's got a hatchery.

I was making the point they were stocking the wrong river... a waste of resources and just for publicity- send these fish to the Wye instead- at least with ten years worth of habitat improvement they should find a place to live!

I'm all for stocking- it makes sense, if carried out correctly it compensates for certain levels of predation and boosts the numbers of smolts heading to sea. A hatchery for every river would be my mantra.

Andy R

sewinbasher

Interesting, the EA basically do not like hatchery fish unless used for mitigation or recovery after a pollution incident. There is a brood collection and smolt stocking programme on the Conwy system and this year the EA seem determined to make it deliberately difficult.

Previously transporting brood fish to the hatchery was a free service but now they now want to charge for collection brood fish at £25 per hour with a minimum of four men for two hours plus £300 for the use of their trailer. These are supposed to be "at cost" figures which are clearly ludicrous. If anglers collect the brood stock they are limited to two pools, one of which isn't really a holding pool, fish must be transported in a sterile vehicle with oxygen running (air pumps aren't acceptable) and no more than 5 fish at a time which given that 16 fish are targetted makes 4 journeys.

When the parr are ready for the smolt ponds we have to collect them with all the attendant bureaucracy.

Unlike many rivers the Conwy has had a good season in 2009, is it is a coincidence that it is hatchery supported?

outside

In terms of helping out when all the fish have been killed then a hatchery is a good option.

The problem on a 'not as good as the old days' river, that is clean enough not to kill its inhabitants, is that it is the 'easy' option. All you have to do is pay for it and you get loads of fish in the river. 99% of anglers can just pay their increased subs and turn up and fish.

But it is rather papering over the cracks isn't it? As someone stated recently on here, industrial sand eel fishing and Salmon farming have a lot to answer for. However doing anything about that is going to take more than just putting the subs up. It is going to take real concerted, unified, lobbying,direct action and lets face it, effort.

stig

Would have to agree

Would have to agree

that it will take a lot of very concerted effort to change a lot of peoples attitudes with regard overfishing at sea. And I fully agree with the sentiment that hatcheries are not the best way forward in the longer term and that habitat improvements, whilst not a soft option will give better results.

cff

EAW Conway appear to be extremely fussy. But are they ?
Here on the Towy, S.30 stocking consents are freely given for salmon, sea trout and brown trout.
EAW impose no control over the holding or removal of broodstock. Indeed it seems they have none - they say.
As it happens, some fish are tethered awaiting transport or held in pipe-boxes. Transport is usually by private tanker but salmon have been known to 'arrive' at the (private) hatchery - squashed in a bucket sitting on a car's back seat.

No provenance is demanded for the fish to be stocked. They could come from, and go anywhere - to or from any river simply because there is no method of tracking.

But there is a limit to actual stocking numbers - it's an ecological standard which must not exceed 5% of the annual wild adult population - or is it 10%? EAW cannot decide. They're supposed to work that out by relating the smolt/adult return rate.

EA's stocking 'bible' is Graeme Harris's excellent R+D Note No. 353, "The Identification of Cost-effective Stocking Strategies for Migrating Salmon" (NRA 1994).

The work has never been superseded despite EA's empiric so-called Revised Stocking Policy - which is little more than a muddled hotch-potch and getting even more so by the day.

In February 2008, the total salmon parr/smolts for Towy stocking were limited to 18k. By April 2008, by virtue of using 2004 Tyne data, EAW rose that figure dramatically to 83k - 100k - which unfortunately they got wrong! (mean 0.30% instead of 0.37%) - they should have quoted 41k to 71k.

But even that limit was outdated by EA's "River Tyne Salmon Action Plan Review" (EA 410230 2008) - quoting a smolt/adult survival rate for Kielder reared smolts of 0.07% - 0.35% ( mean 0.16%) and if used would allow into the Towy up to 131k at 5% and 262k at 10% !

They would swamp the Towy's entire wild salmon and sea trout population - which despite EAW's latest superficial 'rosy eyed' improving salmon status is unnaturally under-performing anyway - especially sea trout.

But that's another sad story. Suffice to say that voluntary stocking efforts should never have needed to be considered for the Towy - but with EAW at present taking more mitigation broodstock salmon out than they're putting back and ignoring sea trout completely - what can anyone do ?

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
I dont agree with stocking the Trent, its just not a Salmon River! The amount that go into this river is unbelievable, into Millions!

However there were lots of Salmon in the Dove last year, lots!

They dont half pull the 4wt when Grayling fishing!:eek:

Hoppy;)