river wear

night trout

hi just wondering if anyones had a good season on the wear this year
for me its been the worst year i have none i thort the last 2 seasons were bad but really it cant get much worse than this yr. had 6 fish all season seen very little fish in the pools plus very little running the ford was very little salmon around at the back end of the season. its about finshed as a sea trout river if things dont pic up its fully of course fish that shouldnt be put in a game fishing river i knocked more chub on the head got sick of catching them right through the season some 5 and 6 pound no wonder there is very little trout par kicking around this is the first season in 12 yrs i have not made it into double figers on sea trout / salmon. i fish with another 5 friends think between them they managed 8 fish 1 of thems had nothing all season and they all good hands and have fished the river 20 yrs plus.
best sea trout river in england 6 /7 yrs ago it was as good as any sea trout river in the country living of past glory. i wouldnt like 2 see the worst
i live and breath that river i live on the banks of the wear its a real shame how the river is heading. ferryhill angling club thats put the course fish in the past wake up its a game river. once very good 1.

L

lochbois

One off

One off

To nightrout , Lets hope 2009 was a one off .Look at that massive flood we had on the Wear in July. We have more floods today so we are going to have some new pools for 2010.
I darnt report to much about the Wear as i have already got a member looking for me in 2010:mad:.
I have fished the Wear for about 27 years on Baac waters i love the river and it would be a much worse river if our club didnt own so much of the water.
Without a full membership we cant keep buying water and policeing it by the volentry club ballifs that do a brilliant job.
From reading the river reports on this forum on all rivers in Britain 2009 was poor for rod catches everywhere wasnt it?PB

coasty

Well I will be joining BAAC again this year after many many years away. So hope all the doom and gloom isnt without hope for the future . Would have joined this year but have spent most of this year working down in London.

I guess its all relative to what catch rates your used to, I fished my local river last year 2008 on 16 nights before I had a sea trout. Then ended the season with three fish after 22 nights not sure how that compares with what yu expect.......

L

lochbois

Being Happy

Being Happy

I ended up with three sea-trout caught and three lost fish .
I saw many more fish but they wouldnt grab my flies.
Why i lost the three was the typical way that i tighten into the fish and then swear when the hook doesnt hold.
I had trouble with my car exhaust which lost me some days on the river.
I have said this before, our fishing surelly is not all about fish recorded in the diary.
With wild fish its a very different case to fishing put and take lakes for stocked fish . I have stopped fishing stillwaters because i wasnt happy with the poor stocking polocies that the reservoirs have taken since privateisation took over.
It must be terrible for the people affected by the floods in the west ,how do you cope with that at this time of year unbelieable. PB

night trout

river wear fish counts

river wear fish counts

i dont think this season is a 1 off the prove is there if u log onto the river wear fish counter it tells its own story 2003 season there was 26910 went up through the pass. 2007 was 14774 this season 2009 was 13590. getting worse every season. 1999 was a cracking yr i remember it well i got me biggest ever fish off the river a very coloured 20lb salmon. there was 27658
fish through the pass that yr. its time everyone started thinking about catch and relise on the river cos if it carrys on getting worse the river will be finshed. just my view but the figures are there 2 see.
log onto river wear fish counter. and click on the 2 links at the bottom.
cheers night trout.

1999 season 27658
2009 season 13590
thats 14068 less fish running the river in 10yrs.
next 10yrs is worrying.

Last edited:
L

lochbois

Wash-out

Wash-out

I wonder if fish are running the Wear now with the extra water.
People tell me that fish for the Bass and summer species around the coast they see and catch sea-trout and salmon which must be waiting or feeding in the sea.
The fish counter on the Wear was broken by the massive floods in july i believe .
Not much survived in that floods path.

wearfisher2

Good evening,

|I fish the Wear around Durham and the earliest I've seen one caught fair is April 28th on the free stretch. From the Fram dam fish counter readings I'm sure there are fish above Durham from the off.