some advice for a novice on fly lines

joe

a little town called alnwick, northumberland
hi all, this is my second year fishing sor sea trout so as you can all guess i've still quite alot to learn. can anyone give me some advice on the best floatings lines out there. ive heard aircel double taper from scientific anglers is canny. the river i fish is the coquet

Ribblerod

I don't know the conditions on your own river i must state. I personally much prefer a weight forwards line as not only do they achieve a nice shoot with an absoloute minimum or no false casting but they are also easier to gauge how much line you have out as you can feel the back of the taper in your fingers at night. I do not feel the ability to roll cast is realy much effected over a DT as the full taper is generally three rod lengths- enough for most night fishing were the roll cast is required, you can always haul down and shoot some more! if i need more distance turning to spey style casts i have another small d/handed outfit with shooting head. Try the white Snowbee floater good price will turn over most wake lures etc. and good with 5ft tips, limited amount of tangling up and very slick to boot, been using one all last season and it beats many far more expensive lines i have used.;)

S

silverinvicta

A simple rule of thumb that can be handy Joe.."Small rivers, shortish casts, use a double taper.. for distance go for the weight forward.. That dont mean one or t'other can't be used for both disciplines :D .Its all down to personal taste.
A weight forward for me, would be an Airflo 40+ Been using em for a few seasons now...Does all i want it to do..Shoots a hell of a line, roll casts well, Spey casts.. just a good all rounder..
I do like a DT on smaller rivers, thats all i use over here in the fresh. I like the Airflo "Ridge" series ...
But as i say it's down to personal taste... you should try before you buy, if possible ? What suits one dont always suit another..
Hope this confuses you more... why should you be different to many of us ???? :D:D:D

Atb...Si...:cool:

sp8

Don't waste your hard earned on one of the many overpriced floaters on the market. I know the Coquet and quite frankly one of John Norris's or Mullarkeys own lines in a WF is as good as anything. Even one of their millends will do, they are all Shakespeare and their lines are as good as any and better than most. At the risk of upsetting all the tackle tarts there is a load of c**p talked about lines. You want something that floats and doesn't have memory. The lines above tick those boxes.

SP8

SALAR

Snowbee for me for my floating line,,,, i also bought the new Snowbee multi tip spey line towards the end of the season(its feckin superb)..

stump..

L

lochbois

Fly Line Memory and Streaching

Fly Line Memory and Streaching

While reading the Website called Midcurrent recently they had an article called Fly Line Memory and Streching by Bruce Richards in the Gear and Equitment Section.
Bruce says all fly lines have memory and that the coating used on many lines arnt suited for all rivers.
Now we have so many items of tackle from America on the market it made me wonder.
I like to strech my lines before i go onto the river.
I like to retrive line in with a figure of eight retrive and it certainly gets twisted i find.:)PB

PaulD

I'd certainly suggest a Weight Forward over a Double Taper. Silver Invicta recommends the Airflo 40+ - they're known for being 'over-weight' but their profile is excellent for minimising the need for false casting and for turning over larger, bulkier flies like surface lures etc.

For good quality and good value have a look at Mike Barrio's lines at -

www.flylineshop.com