Fishing a Sea Pool

Vol

I intend soon to fish a small river which is known for its run of Sea Trout.

At the moment the river is very low and I was wondering if theres any point in fishing. Ther last pool on the beat floods on a medium to high tide and so fresh fish could enter the system at any time.

My question is really whether fish are likey to enter the system when there is so little water, or will they wait out in the estuary until there is some water?

If you have expereience of fishing such sea pools i would love to hear your views.

Cheers

Mike

Some of the most amazing sights can be seen when the water is dead low especially in the tide way or emediately just above. Sea Trout will run in only a few inches of water, splashing their way through the rapids.

If you go to the river say a hour before dark and just watch well into darkness on one of the rapids you will see the fish if they are there. It still may be a little early to see big runs of fish on a small river, but there should be some.

What part of the country are you in Mike?

macca

fishing a sea pool

fishing a sea pool

i fish a small river too and it sounds exactly the same as the one u mentioned
except the fish dont arrive in big numbers till the 3rd week of june normally
i hardly ever see anyone fish it before that but i presume there are some fish there but hardly worth fishing for i think
u would also see the fish come up the rapids into the first pool in only 4 inches of water so it wouldnt bother me if the water was low they would still get up they are hardy creatures after all
ger

DAZ

My question is really whether fish are likey to enter the system when there is so little water, or will they wait out in the estuary until there is some water?
The simple answer is YES! - a few fish will trickle through,although,the majority will drop back with the ebbing tide.This will vary from river to river - they are more inclined to do as I state on small spate rivers.

DAZ.

Vol

Caernarfon area :p

Its the Llyfni. Not fished it yet but its on my list of things to do next week ;)

Norsy

Legend
The best advice i can give you is any time you fish in or near the sea for sea trout is offer them some thing they are used to eating . This will be different from area to area . Around here i would offer them some thing like this
OR this
and later on in the year i would fish a small shrimp fly in natural colors. Good look

loughman

Mike,
Im no expert in the art of seatrout fishing but I have witnessed runs of fish at low water usually as dark approaches.What I observed was the fish seemed to get agitated at the falling water & made a run for it in what I can only describe as a trickle of water.The observing herons & gannets(good sign of fishy presence) were very interested as well!!My local water is only seeing very odd fish moving at moment.Someone landed a 4lber to the fly on friday quite a way upstream.I personally saw a bar of silver follow my flies in yesterday at the same place but no take!SB

Salmonella

Its the Llyfni. Not fished it yet but its on my list of things to do next week ;)

The Llyfni does not have an estuary. "Pwll Lan Mor" leads to the shingle beach, which the river flows over; the fish run straight in on spring tides at high water.

You will not be fishing it next week anyway. There's an EA by-law, to protect smolts, prohibiting fishing in that area until 1st June.
The SG&Ll Society, who have the fishing, enforce the same rule.

However the new moon of the following week will bring some pretty big night tides:
23:40 on Wed 4th June 31.2', with the same height Thu, and Fri 00:29 the tides will then back off quite quickly.

I understand that the Llyfni is a mere shadow of it's former self; but it does have some early fish; although a 2 pounder would be a good one. Think standard wet flies, a lightly dressed Teal Blue & Silver no bigger than #10 would appeal to these very fresh fish.

Ella

Last edited: