River Eden

paul cooper

Hi everybody.

Thought I would start this thread on the Eden.
I Took a 400 mile round journey there yesterday, it was very cold !!:eek:
I arrived at about 9.00 a.m. and set up the double hander. After about half a dozen casts I started to think that my spey casting technique, although not the greatest in the world anyway, had become very rusty over the winter, I just couldn't shoot the line (may have had something to do with the ice blockages in the eyes of the rod) !!!! In the end I managed to use the fly from about lunchtime onwards.
Out with the spinning rod then, and managed to catch a kelt of around five pounds in weight on a black flying "c". Still, it got the rod bending and lets face it it would be a miracle for a springer to be about this early in the year on the Eden.
Hope to get out on the Severn soon (something a little closer to home) !;)

B

bungle

400 mile day trip in January....:eek:...you must be mad paul.

Nice to hear you caught a fish.:cool:

Ian

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Should have had a crack at the grayling Paul ;)

nice report and excellent commitment!

Hoppy

T

Tom Rigby

Paul,

You are in danger of ending up as daft as me. Ok I admit it, you know I would have gone up with you if it hadn't been for childcare.:)

tom

paul cooper

Should have had a crack at the grayling Paul ;)

nice report and excellent commitment!

Hoppy
Yep there had been a few grayling caught on this beat in the previous week Hoppy, but unfortunately I' m pretty inexperienced at fishing for grayling so it's something that never crossed my mind. Maybe I'll have a go in the future as it is something that I have been meaning to do more of.:eek:

I don't think that I'll ever become as daft as you though Tom !!:D but I am planning another visit probably around the first or second week in March, I'm sure you'll sort out some child care for that trip.:cool:

thunderbird

Eden River Levels

Eden River Levels

Does anyone know of a phone line, or website, that is updated daily with the Eden heights?
Seems the waters round there have been probably been steady/lowish (well the B.Esk has anyway), so if I can get away I will trying for a springer off the lower Eden soon.
Does anyone on here fish at Cargo, Holmegate or Lazonby estate ?

paul cooper

Does anyone know of a phone line, or website, that is updated daily with the Eden heights?
Seems the waters round there have been probably been steady/lowish (well the B.Esk has anyway), so if I can get away I will trying for a springer off the lower Eden soon.
Does anyone on here fish at Cargo, Holmegate or Lazonby estate ?
Hi stoater, the number you want is the EA rivercall northwest region which is 09066 197722. This gives updates of levels twice daily at 3am and 3pm. Beware though it is a premium rate number !:eek:.
I fished in the Great Corby area two weeks ago and the water was at 0.35 above summer level but I have been told that between 0.3 and 0.6 is a good height to fish.:)

thunderbird

Thanks Paul
shame the Eden (and a lot of English rivers) won't put current river levels on the internet, as Scottish rivers do.
Maybe they think they'll lose the revenue of their premium-rate phone line.
I think, and maybe others do too, that they are more likely to lose visitors (rather than gain) them by this old-fashioned policy.
I know which "type" of river I'd sooner fish if I had to look at prospects/river levels day in/day out, given that a lot of river users need to travel some distance.
Won't lose any sleep over this though or expect the EA to do anything about it!

paul cooper

Thanks Paul
shame the Eden (and a lot of English rivers) won't put current river levels on the internet, as Scottish rivers do.
Maybe they think they'll lose the revenue of their premium-rate phone line.
I think, and maybe others do too, that they are more likely to lose visitors (rather than gain) them by this old-fashioned policy.
I know which "type" of river I'd sooner fish if I had to look at prospects/river levels day in/day out, given that a lot of river users need to travel some distance.
Won't lose any sleep over this though or expect the EA to do anything about it!
Stoater I agree with your comments, but would just add that if you do live 4 hours away from the Eden, as I do, then even with the most up to date information before you leave home, can become totally useless with a spate river like the Eden.
Believe me I have found that out through bitter experience (and expense):mad::eek::eek::D

thunderbird

"Spring" fishing

"Spring" fishing

Thanks Paul for the info.
I have phoned the EA line a couple of times, and it seems the river is lowish and steady, so I think I'll risk the 350 mile round trip this weekend, barring snowfall. Only takes 2 and a bit hrs. on a normal day (well that's what I tell the wife).
Been a bit geed-up by reports of the odd springer about and that photo of the fish off Warwick Hall. Hope springs eternal.;)

thunderbird

More snow

More snow

Curses. Woke up at 6am to more of the inconvenient white stuff all over the minor and major roads, car now unpacked, what a disappointment but won't be long now till I get going. Can't beat the weather!

T

Tom Rigby

Had a session on the fly yesterday. Plenty of kelts about (three to me five to Paul Cooper) plus numerous abortive takes and a few lost fish. But no springers.

thunderbird

Tom/Paul
were you fishing on the CAA waters? Well at least you must have had a few moments of excitement! They say if you catch kelts, any fresh fish running may be inclined to lie with them for a bit, even if they are travelling in opposite directions.
Hopefully get going soon myself, first ever year I've not been out in February.

T

Tom Rigby

Hi Stoater,
Fished a wee bit further up on another club water

swimswim

river eden

river eden

08/03/10 just got back from a very pleasant weekend on the eden with Russello saturday the weather was fantastic not so the fishing (grayling) plenty of salmon splashing about so a change of tac chucked a few flies at them but no takes total for the day one very nice grayling. sunday it was nice to meet up with Redfox and his mate alan the day started off very cold and overcast warming up around midday still very hard going but I did manage half a dozen very nice grayling and had some good sport on the klink anyway fish or no fish what a fantastic place to spend the weekend.

thunderbird

Eden

Eden

I had a pleasant time fishing this Sun/Mon at the top of the tidal water. On Sunday afternoon it was a beautiful afternoon, I explored the top 1.5 miles of water (got really hot with all the walking/big tummy/neoprenes!). I caught a very well mended kelt of about 6lb, and lost another that felt kelty, but learned and enjoyed a new bit of water. Seeing as I come from well down the M6 at J.13, stayed the night in the village pub, which was spot on for my basic tastes.
Good proper frost on Monday morning, walked full length of lower beat (another 3 miles in neoprenes, I am not in the best trim!). Found a couple of really promising fly runs, and caught a superb brownie that would have made 3lb in a few weeks time. At lunchtime I decided, well its a lovely day and even though I'd promised to be home for teatime, I'd have a few more casts on the upper beat. Had a superb fight from a 7/8lb Springer, it was quite deeply hooked, but thankfully swam off like a bullet after the long-nosed tweezers treatment. Chuffed or what?!! I took a couple of pics, that if I can, I'll post, but have been having serious probs with my PC of late, not to mention photobucket. A really nice couple of sessions in fine conditions for this part of the Eden.

redfox

Doghouse usually or at the pie shed at Brunton Par
Throughoughly enjoyed my 1st outing since last Autumn, and meeting up with a couple of members, allthough it was dammed hard going, Gin Clear, cold & bright, managed a consolation Grayling at last knockings on an F Fly.

2 things learned from the Day,
Need a heavier line for my double handed rod, and a new right leg in my waders, "Squelch Squelch" :D:D

Redfox

PS; Also good to see the Otter working away ;)