Alaskan Fishing - with Go Adventure Guiding

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member

Owner and Chief Guide George Ortman has been living in Alaska since 1979. He opened his guiding business in 1985, and has fished, hiked, floated and traveled all over the state. He has been a Mt McKinley guide, a Professional Ski Patrol and avalanche technician. In his spare time he fishes in Mexico, and builds log houses. He has lived in Willow Alaska since 1984.​

George offer full service guiding. He provides transportation to and from the venues including bush flights. All fishing, camping, rafting, safety, and misc gear is provided on all remote hiking and river rafting trips.​

His equipment is top quality, and in good condition. Your tent will not leak, and your sleeping bag will keep you warm. He will provide all food. If special menus are necessary, please provide information. On all trips, an emergency radio is carried, however, a medical rescue may or may not be available!​

Due to the varied nature of the trips offered, lodging needs are to be determined. Although George will help you find the correct lodging for your trip, all lodging costs are not included in quoted rates.​

The fishing offered is on a number of Alaskan Rivers, offering fishing for a huge number of species....​

Willow Creek is a beautiful clear water stream famous for salmon and trout fishing. This is George's home river, and it is full of fish. Due to it's location on the road system north of Anchorage, it is well loved. Many good trout and salmon are caught, but you must have the right approach to be successful. Give it shot for the ten pound rainbow, or the fifty pound King salmon. Half day and full day trips are available all season. In addition, overnight King salmon trips are offered during the King run. This is especially important as we take advantage of the midnight sun to maximize the potential for your trophy King salmon.​

Lake Creek is a seven to ten day float trip in the Alaskan wilderness. Lake Creek is a clear water jewel that flows from the southern edge of the Alaska Range. Spectacular views of Denali (Mt McKinley) and the Alaska Range dominate the upper part of the river. Historic mining ruins can be found in the brush near the river. Pan for gold and find some!​

Well known as a premier destination for trophy Kings and prolific Silver salmon, this river is also known for fantastic Rainbow trout and Grayling fishing. Count on sighting bears, moose, and other residents of the surrounding forest. The upper river is fantastic hiking, with Denali, the Kahiltna Glacier, and the entire southern side of the Alaskan Range in full view. George has been on this river since 1984, can be sure that he will put you on the fish​

The Kisaralik and Kwethluk are two fantastic rivers on the western edge of Alaska. Both are accessed from Bethel, Alaska and are tributary the Kuskokwim River. You will be hard pressed to find a more remote destination, teeming with salmon, trout, and wildlife. The best of the best, these two Alaskan destinations should be on every fisherman’s lifetime list of places to visit. Look for the biggest of Alaskan Rainbows in these prolific rivers​

For fall Steelhead we go to the Anchor River. On the road system, we either camp or stay in a hotel. The whiskey colored water regularly produces 15 to 20 pound steelhead. The worse the weather, the better the fishing!​

For more details please see​

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking forward to reading George's posts from the 2010 season in Alaska, it promises to be a damn good read.

Hoppy:)

stargazer

I have to say George runs a superb operation and is a superb guide and companion.If your interested in the ultimate wilderness fishing adventure,catching everything from monster Arctic Grayling,Dolly Varden or the giant King Salmon in simply stunning scenery,you won't be disappointed.Believe me when I say that George will produce the goods,what ever your target species.

I for one look forward to this seasons reports of the superb trout and salmon fishing that says it all about Alaska:cool:

SG

Last edited:

georgeortman

August on Willow Creek, Alaska 2009

August on Willow Creek, Alaska 2009

Thanks for the encouragement! I have posted a photo album of a day on Willow Creek. This creek is a gem, but even better this year. A flood redefined an overflow channel by putting about 2/3rds of the creek flow down it, where as in the past it was only a flood channel. This new channel is about two miles long, which is a lot of new trout water. Now the creek is chewing through the forest creating what can only be called perfect habitat, which is heavy water relentlessly jammed with trees, brush and dead salmon. Some of the local guys went down with chainsaws to open a boat channel. It is an exciting boat ride! Add to it the biggest Pink and Silver salmon run in years, and all I can say is that day was dynamite! Check out the photos on my profile page.

Last edited: