Farmed Sea-Trout

L

lochbois

I Have to say i hadnt heard much about Farmed Sea -Trout until i saw Rick Stein saying he bought Farmed Sea-Trout because Wild Sea-Trout was hard to get hold of.
Where are these Farmed Sea Trout Bred?.:confused:

sewinbasher

I Have to say i hadnt heard much about Farmed Sea -Trout until i saw Rick Stein saying he bought Farmed Sea-Trout because Wild Sea-Trout was hard to get hold of.
Where are these Farmed Sea Trout Bred?.:confused:
I believe there were some being farmed in the Cleddau estuary in West Wales at one time but I'm not sure where they are farmed right now.

stig

Rick Stein....

Rick Stein....

Farmed Sea-Trout my a*se:mad: Probably poached from the Camel:mad:

L

lochbois

Graig Farm

Graig Farm

I was told that you can get farmed Sea-Trout from Graig Farm in Powys on the Welsh side of Offas Dyke . Where Rick Stein got his farmed fish from i dont know.
I remember a friend of mine selling wild sea-trout on his fish van.
Poor woman didnt know that they were rainbow trout caught the night before from Witton Castle Lakes it was long before i had actually seen a wild sea-trout from the Wear.
I bet them farmed ones dont fight as hard as a Wear Wild fish,we have had steady rain here in the NEast i hope the fish are running.:)PB

silverflash

Farmed seatrout

Farmed seatrout

Lochbois - In the 'general seatrout advice' area of the forum, you will find a long thread discussing the origin of Farmed Seatrout - the Shetlands seem to be the place. Just type 'Farmed Seatrout' in the search box above! :) The thread was started on. 05-03-2009 01:12 AM by nomadicseatrout. Interesting reading. It's all a very grey area, claiming to sell farmed seatrout!

Now if Stein Claims them to be "Locally farmed" Seatrout, that may raise a few eyebrows......! I just wonder what the Air Miles on them are?? :rolleyes:

Beanzy

A bit of context. Things is wild down 'ere.

A bit of context. Things is wild down 'ere.

‘The illegal capture and sale of fish will not be tolerated and we will not hesitate to prosecute offenders where we have evidence. It is the responsibility of the fishmonger to be aware of the regulations relating to the sale of wild salmon and sea trout,’ said Chris Hitchings.
Mark Ollivierre, of Blackwell Place, Wadebridge, was ordered to pay £250 costs by Bodmin magistrates after pleading guilty to two offences under the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975 including, on or about November 8, 2008, fishing for salmon by means of an illegal instrument and offering a salmon for sale.
Shaun Brewer, of The Old Forge Fish Shop, Polmorla Road, Wadebridge, was ordered to pay £250 costs after pleading guilty to offering an illegally caught salmon for sale. Both men also received two year conditional discharges.

New laws introduced in January 2009 make it an offence to sell rod-caught salmon and sea trout in England and Wales. Restaurants and fishmongers caught flouting the rules face a fine of up to £2,500. It is still legal to sell net caught salmon and sea trout but they must be marked with special Environment Agency tags to help catering outlets ensure they only buy fish from legitimate sources.

Now I don't think anyone was saying RS got his from a disreputable supplier. I don't imagine for one moment he's going to risk doing that, as he's probably got people ready to trip him up at any chance, you only have to hear the talk any time he tries a new venture. But he could easily be shafted by one of the dodgy fishmongers or suppliers, then what would he do?.... he'd be stitched like a kipper. These guys really need to be able to rely on their suppliers and their staff, and given the dodgy types hereabouts he can't be too careful.

Anyone offered fish in suspicious circumstances or suspect fish are being sold illegally should call the Environment Agency’s free 24-hour incident hotline 0800 80 70 60

Last edited:
L

lochbois

I genuinly believe Rick Stein.
i didnt know they farmed sea-trout.
I am only new to the internet ,and i can say that i had ever heard sea-trout were farmed.
I will definatly look at all i can .
I new they farmed ,rainbows ,brown trout, salmon, various sea fish cod ect.
I was changelng channels on Saturday morning from 1-5 and it caught my eye.
Thanks for the link Silverfish i will read the forum.
Shows that we are never too old to learn something in fishing. I Learn something everyday on the computor.:)PB

I have since looked at the link on this forum ,very intresting, and from what i am reading the sea-trout is a complicated fish to identify. I will look on Google at Farmed Sea-Trout. Thank you .

Last edited: