Drought - Danger of Future EA Restrictions

Waddington

With the drought conditions we all seem to be suffering seeming to have no end in sight and catches on my local rivers in South Wales appearing to be well down as a result, I have been thinking recently is there a possibility that the EA might use poor results this year as an excuse for introducing draconian fishing restrictions on anglers in the future? Compulsory c+r being the most obvious restriction. I am sure many of us aware of the EA classifying a number of rivers stocks as being at varying degrees of ‘risk’.

If this drought continues and catches stay very much depressed, I have my doubts whether the EA will take into account the persistent very low water or will they just view the catch figures as a statistical opportunity to use to implement restrictions? How can we anglers make sure that especially if the drought continues, this years catch figures are not used by the EA to implement knee jerk restrictions which once implemented will inevitably become permanent.

Apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere, or anyone feels I’ve got this wrong, but it has been on my mind for a while so I thought I would ask members views.

Phil

Last edited: