Tying a Jambo

haptonlad

Im thinking of tying up a couple of jambo's and need abit of advise on tying up the front part of the fly. Ive noticed on alot of them there is'nt a hook on most of them. Do you use a hook and cut off the shank or do you use a shimp pin ?
Thanks for any advise.
Paul.

S

silverinvicta

You cut the hook, from the start of the curve, off after dressing the fly...... The pattern, "The Gurgler" (as by Daz ) is, i think, a better pattern than the Jambo...both are in the fly pages.
You can take your choice or try both... http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/flygurgler.htm Daz dresses his a tad different.. He uses chenille for the body... There are pics...
Si....

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Gurgler, easier to tie, easier to cast!

A great idea by Daz - although im sure we'll see it in T&S soon credited to Jones and South America!

Hoppy

S

silverinvicta

billybass

What foam do you use Si? I have used a piece of plastazote on the ones i use now, but that needs cutting to size, i have some funky foam sheets but i am yet to try them.

S

silverinvicta

I used Plastazote as well Billy, you do have to trim it to get the floating position right, i colour the Plastazote with waterproof markers, but frankly, i don't think it matters...Never tried funky foam.. I also trim the body if i think it needs it..... The Plasatzote sheet i use is about 2.5mm thick...
I also prefer em dressed on a single hook...
Si....

shocker

Very Big Cornish Sea Trout - one of a kind
Funkyfoam by Craft Planet,under 50pence a sheet from craft shops....good if you can get it,but anything will do, packaging foam,whatever. Slice it to size with a stanley blade.

Last edited:

haptonlad

Thanks for all the replies chaps! some very interesting points. Ive fished with the deer haired surface lures in the past and have to say they are a pain too cast with and they tend too sink after a while. Im looking forward to giving these gurglers a try.

DAZ

Daz dresses his a tad different.. He uses chenille for the body... There are pics...
Si....
I think you mean "FRITZ" Bap.Thats what I use,a large fritz.

I also don't tie mine the same as in the link that SI has posted.You can do if you want though.
I tie the tail in has shown and then whip the foam on to the shank,almost the full length,leaving a bit of room at the head.I then tie my fritz in and wind it over the foam whipped to the the shank.Tie off at the head,pull the foam over,tie off,jobs a good un!.No need to worry about trapping any fibers this way.By also doubling up the foam like that shown in the link,for me,it may ride a little to high in the water and thats what I don't want.

The best stuff ( Foam ) I have used for this pattern is found on computer mouse mats.Floats well and is very,very tough.

Hope this helps some.

DAZ

S

silverinvicta

Yeh Fritz, I could'nt remember what it was cos i don't buy it as fritz.....It's ages since i bought any anyway.. The stuff i buy looks like FRITZ but is sold under another name (i can't remember that either :eek: lol )..Its virtualy the same stuff though, buy it in sewing shops....The plastazote i use is quite thin, even doubled it does'nt float as high as the looser foam so it floats in the surface film and not on it... :)

Bap...(only to his friends ) :D

T7

I have some with the treble on mate, take your choice I guess...

fordfly

Well worth tying a few up aled,ive had fish on both types! As the others have said they cast realy well even when theres a bit of wind(i struggled to cast a jambo at the best of times) tightlines andy

Aled

Must say that in recent weeks i've preferred to use the platic tube with foam head, much easier to cast than the traditional surfjace lure or a jambo.
Well done on your fish fordfly.
Tight Lines
Aled