Clwyd & Elwy. Strictly Fishing.

Hexagraph

I was out last night on the Elwy and didn't have a touch - no signs of any fish either !
I had a fish on June 1st in low water conditions but now it's even worse with very little flow and lots of algae coating the river bed - I've just been cleaning it off my flylines !
The system is in desperate need of a decent spate !

Hexagraph

Kalahari

Did an hour on Greenbank yesterday evening, 8:00 - 9:00. River pretty low. Two brownies, lost two more and failed to convert another three. Beautiful evening and my fishing about where it normally is. The awful side of very poor. Still having fun though!

David.

scrumbag

Fishing Rapalas on the Clwyd

Fishing Rapalas on the Clwyd

Any one had any success with the above? I'm a big fan of rapalas on other waters but haven't used them much or with any success on the Clwyd.

Tactics, Sizes and Presentation tips all welcomed.

sewinbasher

I've had the odd fish from the Clwyd with a floating orange Rapala. They are good when fishing treed over pools as you can float them down and then retreive where no other spinner or lure could go.

Best fish from the Clwyd was 13lb from above Glan y Wern bridge and scale checks showed it to be a grilse.

sewinbasher

Wind them back slowly remembering that the faster you wind the deeper they dive and can get hung up on snags. If you approach a snag, stop winding and let the lure float up before starting again.

apprentice 2

Tried some new spinners, home made with single instead of trebles, on the Clwyd at Glan-y-Wern around 3.00pm today. The river was the colour of strong coffee but not very high. Assume the rain we had has disturbed the brown algae that was covering the river bed last week.

No reaction to the spinners!!

locko

1st visit

1st visit

12-30. I arrived at llanerch bridge to find the river well down, as sewinbasher said 6 inches. I set up 2 rods . the spinner with a small rapala and the fly rod and worked my way down river covering likely looking spots.
Well, no pulls or follows which come as no surprise. Still a pleasant afternoon and much needed excersise.
I called in to Foxons for bits and pieces and set off back to liverpool.
By all acounts we are in for some rain tomorrow so may give it a go on sunday
Regards Phil

locko

state of river

state of river

Am i in with a shout tomorrow, thinking of giving Llanerch a whirl.
Although its been overcast here we've had very little rain. Whats it been like there.
Regards Phil

sewinbasher

I fished for a few hours on the Elwy tonight quite a long way up near Llanfair TH and caught and saw absolutely nothing despite the river looking spot on.

Kalahari

I was out near Llannerch last night nothing moving, apart from the obligatory brownie early on even the tiny browns weren't moving in spite of there being a good hatch. Atmospheric pressure?????

David.

Hexagraph

I was out on the Elwy last night also - until I started swaying at 02.30. ( Had a very long day ).
Very quiet once the obligatory brownie activity at dusk had ceased !
However I had three fish to 2 1/2lb so there are a few about !
Nobody else fishing the beat which surprised me !
On 23rd June I was out fishing, again on the Elwy - river running very low and clear.
I'd planned to arrive early for a daylight 'recce' of the beat ( Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted and all that ) so arriving at 21.30 was dismayed to find a group of anglers already fishing with one wading down the centre of the river in broad daylight !
Resisting the urge to just turn around and go home I sat down and quietly hoped they would bugger off !!
After a few minutes they came up the bank - all the usual remarks - ' waste of time ' - ' crap e're now ' - can't catch what ain't e're -' river's not what it was 30 years ago ' -' we'll never see them days e're again ' - ' come on I've had enough, let's get going ' .
All the usual pessimistic stuff and it's not even 10 o'clock for god's sake !!
Anyway after mr cheerful and his mate had cleared off I sat quietly listening to the river, a couple of owl's screeching in the wood . A fox scampering about on the far bank, and listened to the weird noises deer make at night.
After deciding I'd rested the pool long enough (I waited until after 11.30 ) I carefully waded in and started to cast . Thirty minutes later after a very gentle take I was admiring a perfect spanking fresh Sea Trout of 3lb on the bank. I fished on until 02.30 without another take .
Walking back to the car I remembered what the other 'angler' had said about not being able to catch what ain't e're ! Yer right - hahaaaa !

blister69

Hi Hexagraph,

Do you mind me asking if you were fly fishing or spinning. I'm going to try a bit of night fishing this year but have no idea what I'm doing.

Cheers,

Blister