Sustainable Access Campaign: Canoeing on Welsh Rivers

cortupblastit

I may have missed it but I have been looking through the Forum for mention of the threat to angling in Wales posed by the Welsh Assembly's apparent renewed interest in legislating for free access to all rivers in Wales for "water sports" ranging from free swimming through canoeing/kayaking to white water rafting. A Green Paper on the subject is believed to be imminent. I would like to draw Forum users attention to the Sustainable Access Campaign being promoted by the Angling Trust in co-operation with Countryside Alliance and others. More details of the campaign may be found here:-

http://www.accesscymru.org/

The campaign needs support, both vocal and financial, from the thousands of anglers, including visitors from "over the border", and the hundreds of clubs within the Principality to counter this. Those who fish, or have fished the River Wye will be well aware of the disastrous impact that uncontrolled canoeing has had on salmon angling, particularly at weekends , on that river, where, in some areas, angling has become virtually impossible. Scottish Forum users and those who fish rivers in Scotland will already have experienced the reality of open access, although the impact is probably lower in Scotland than it would be in Wales, given the hugely greater lengths of river available in Scotland and the much greater distances between many of those rivers and densely populated areas.

I don't relish arriving on my favourite pool at dusk on , for instance, the Cothi, ignorant of the fact that kayakers may have been practising eskimo rolls there all day, or even worse, that a scantily clad Gryff Rhys Jones may recently have been cavorting in its depths !

highplains

Hi cortupblastic,

Yep, this issue has been advertised for some time on the Campaign for the Protection of Welsh Fisheries thread. I am about to add another note giving a bit of an update.

Tight lines

cortupblastit

Sorry, must have missed it. But I do think matter should be raised on all Welsh river reports. Don't know whether there is an easy way of doing that ? It's a very important issue for fishermen in Wales, much more so than what fly to use !