Alexandra Variant

stargazer

I tied a few of these over the weekend to replenish my fly box.The original pattern is a favourite of many a sea trout angler as we know, but I prefer the red bloody version of which I have more confidence in. I also think by adding some Jungle cock, it gives the fly that little bit extra!! but that's just personal choice and down to the individual.

Hook: size 10-6, the photo shows a size 8 Ken Sawada LD2 Silver fiesta
Thread: Uni-thread 6/0 in red
Tail: Red hen or schlappen fibres
Rib: Red UTC wire (small)
Body: wide silver holographic tinsel
Hackle: Large red hen or schlappen, wound around and swept back to form part of the underwing and throat
Underwing: Black squirrel tail
Overwing: Peacock sword
Cheeks: Jungle cock

SG

bluecharm

Yes, very good looking fly there - nice job. I know of someone in my club who fishes with nothing else except Alexandra variants and is very successful.
Is it just me however, but I struggle with the peacock swords in getting their shared orientation when tying these patterns ? Yours look nice and even. With mine, there's always one or two that go astray and give the end result a scruffy appearance, resulting in an unbalanced or spiralled swim I suspect. Any top tips gratefully received.

BC.

jj1

One of my all time fav flies! Realy deadly in south and west wales. Nice tye!
The yellow variant can also be leathal.
Jon

stargazer

Thanks very much for the comments guys. Bluecharm, the way I tie in the sword wing is as follows. You first need to get a left and right hand feather where the sword fibres have a similar length,thickness and natural curve to start with. The easiest way I then find to get the neatness in the wing is to marry the 2 feathers together and to cut a small section of stem off both feathers from which the sword fibres are attached. Each piece of stem I cut usually has around 5-6 sword fibres on it and when joined together gives you the right amount for the finished wing. Gripping the 2 pieces of stem together, and if you are happy with the way the fibres are married, tie down over the squirrel and with a bit of practice you should get the desired effect. I wouldn't worry to much if the wing isn't neat every time,as the fish won't be so fussy in their examination;). I hope that explanation helps.

Hi Jon, very interesting to hear about the yellow version. Is it basically a yellow peril with the sword over the top?
I know yellow has always done well on the Towy especially, but its a colour that has failed me up to know for some strange reason? I guess it comes down to that all important word......confidence!:)

SG

bluecharm

Thanks SG.

Clearly explained. I suspect I've been guilty in the past of just grabbing a bunch and strapping them down.. I'll marry them up with a bit more care next time.

BC