A day without rain.......enya

THYLACINE

Well we have got one here today after what seems like a month with rain every day, managed to catch a couple of small sea run browns about a foot long in my local river the Inglis...sound familiar , these fish are silver and they enter the rivers here at this time of the year chasing the schools of "White Bait ", Lovettia sealli, and these Browns are spectacular to watch busting up the schools as they travel upstream to spawn, after this spawning, they die, sound familiar also....I will try and post a pic or two if and when i catch a decent size one..........and i do love Enya's music.

boomer

River Inlgis

River Inlgis

Whereabouts is the River Inglis Thylacine? I am not sure I have come across that one before?
Nice to hear you are getting in to some fresh fish though and yes we'd love to see some pictures when you have them.
Thanks
Paul

THYLACINE

Your onto it Gents, at this time of the year Sea Run Browns can be caught in most of the rivers on the West Coast, namely the Arthur, Henty, Little Henty,Pieman and Gordon.
All rivers and streams that flow into Bass Strait have Sea Runners as we call them, and the Derwent,Huon and the rivers to the west also have runs, i guess a good size sea runner here would be in the 3-4 pound range, but some much larger fish are taken every year, some 20lb plus.....I have not been that lucky on the larger models as yet.
Most locals would use spinning gear for them, but i use either single hand or two hand rods depending on the location.
From Wynyard where i live, its about a 90 minute drive to the Arthur River and 3hrs to some of the others. Hobart and the Derwent River is a 4hr drive.
Most of our rivers have changed considerably over the winter with a 1 in 100 year flood down nearly all of them,so look out up there in the Northern Hemisphere, your winter might follow ours........so its going to be an interesting season with lots of changed pools and runs to investigate.

Bevin

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Thanks Bevin. I particularly like the sound of the River Pieman, I just can't think why :rolleyes:

Out of interest do you also get any steelhead or salmon in the way that say the Chilean coast does now? Has anyone stocked rainbows or king salmon in the rivers ever or is it just the browns?

I'd love to visit Tasmania sometime but I only really knew about the big browns in the lakes after seeing a couple of films. Now there are even more reasons :)

Paul

THYLACINE

Hi Paul, During the 1800's the early settlers tried to introduce Salmon here without success, Salmon did establish in New Zealand....curious that they failed here.
We do have Rainbows here and they have been established almost as long as Brown Trout, some of our rivers have Rainbows, but the majority are in the lakes,some of these waters are now natural recruitment and are wild populations, the same as Brown Trout.
I normally have a trip to the Tongariro River in NZ each year chasing fresh run fish out of Lake Taupo.....they are just like Steelhead...Grey along the back and silver body and only colour up after they have been in the river for some time and fight like hell, a few local there believe they are from Steelhead Stock. We do have an Atlantic Salmon Farming Industry here,love it or hate it, and occasionally our Inland Fisheries Service will release some into confined waters to be caught by anglers, and of course there are always escapees from the farms that offer good sport.
regards

Bevin

sewinfly

Wouldn't fancy wading on a tidal stretch and being visited by a big salty Croc at dusk.

Sewin fishing would never be the same ;)

Sewinfly. .............

haptonlad

It's been good reading your post Bevin keep them coming, it's always good to know what is happening on the other side of the world;)
I'd be to scared to fish out there with the thought of snakes & crocs about.

THYLACINE

Ive been thinking of ordering some "Fluro Orange " breathable waders as a Snake deterrant......all the others look too much like a tree,,,,:eek: and the Crocs, well they are a few thousand kilometres north of here.......ONLY JOKING ABOUT THE WADERS

Bevin