grips for a centrepin rod

Ditchrat

This is a little off the boards subject, but here is a set of grips I am doing up for a client. He wants a 9ft float rod for a centrepin to fish for local trout(locals are what we call trout other the migratory).

I know some of you do some other types of fishing and thought you might enjoy it. I think it is a little less tarty, then some of the ones people ask for. So I thought I'd share.

S

silverinvicta

grips

grips

Hi ya Ditch,
I appreciate the skill in making those grips, and its what the customer wants.... but over here most would still prefer an understated handle. Simple, good quality cork :D .I have told you this before, but how on earth you guys hold those metal parts in the cold or other weather is beyond me... from the pics i've seen, you all seem to hold the rod above the reel and have the reel lower down the rod than we do in general. I hold the rod with my fingers wrapped around the rod and reel seat, controlling the reel with the same hand, leaving my left hand free to feed or reel in and land fish ? I also, as i have said before, reel in TOWARDS ME so the line comes in in a direct line from ring to reel, I use no line guards on my reels and this simple way of reeling in helps stops loops inadvertantly blowing off the reel in windy weather.
I have used rods with fixed reel seats, not my own, but never could get to like em. I know you design rods to suit reels, I just move the reel up or down the handle a tad if needed but frankly that is seldom and I mostly fish with the reel as high up the rod as it will go.....Rod handles in the uk tend to be a lot shorter now than they were in my youth, trotting rods i mean. Fair play to you Ditch, from what i've seen, you build a lovely rod, but i dont like fixed reel seats on trotting rods...
I hope that Watermole puts some pics up of the rod he is building for the auction winner when its finished, I fished with David the other week and saw a self made built cane of his, watched him play fish, and what a beautiful action, and finish......Built from scratch. The winner is going to get a stunner.:D

A.T.B. mate :D

Si

buntinbee

handle

handle

That is certainly beautiful work and not too garish. Where do you get the bi-coloured corks from, I have never seen them before.