Afon Ystwyth

B

bungle

Hi Phil,

There's been a lot of fish waiting in the estuary for a few weeks now..:)

I only fish the ystwyth very occasionally these days,but i have heard of a few caught mainly on spinner in the last week or so.
Good luck.

Bungle

Rob D

I managed two sea trout on the Ystwyth on Friday, whilst the water was still up. One of 3lb and another of 4lb, both to a rainbow trout rapala. Also had a salmon of about 7lb come across the spinner, but miss completely (a bar of silver as well!).

Cheers
Rob

Phil Bullock

Ystwyth action

Ystwyth action

Thanks all

Always fishes better with some water. Had fish on rapala last year - best action just below the bench on the long meadow at Llanfarian - but those blighters all came off! Long distance catch and release again.

Tried Bryns a few times at night with fly last year - plenty of knocks but nothing would stick. Do many fish come out of there?

And has someone stocked Llanfarian bridge pool with the mandatory whopper yet? always seems to be one there does it ever get caught?

Phil Bullock

Rob D

There was nice spinning water on the Ystwyth again on Saturday. I landed 5 Sea trout between 2lb and 5lb. Fished all day, but took all 5 fish in a 1 hour period in the afternoon (missed a few as well!), hardly saw a fish outside of the 1hr period though - strange!
Rob

Phil Bullock

Ystwyth fishing

Ystwyth fishing

Hi Rob

Thanks for the gen!

Your experiences confirm mine - taking time often confined to a short period in which action can be furious. Will be down this weekend but looking at the weather I think fly at night more than spinning water.

Kind regards

Phil

Phil Bullock

Ystwyth action

Ystwyth action

3 rods fished last Friday - uptream from Rhydyfelin Bricge to Bryns.

We were sat on bank at Bryns as it got dark - could see the shadows of fish in front of us about 2 rods length out.

Started at 10.30 and son james had a small fish within 6 casts in main pool. We all thought we were on a winner - but inevitably proved tougher than that.

Sandy geyer hooked a clonker about 1am - swam around the pool for about 5 mins before hook came away. We never even saw it!

Then James had another keeper of about 1lb at 3am - and that was it.

All fish hooked on silver stoat - I tie mine with arctic fox wing and JC cheeks -size 6 salmon low water hook.

Yours truly blanked again.

See also Rheidol thread.

Phil bullock

Rob D

Phil,

I haven’t seen the river in the last few days but I know it has been high during this week, and it is raining hard in mid Wales at the moment. I think it will be well worth a try with a spinner/worm tomorrow.

I fished the river on Sunday last weekend. The shoal sewin of 1lb ish have entered the river in number now. There was also a few around the 5lb mark.

Best of luck if you do make the trip.

Cheers
Rob

B

bungle

Hi folks

Anyone care to comment on the river please?

Will it fish in the day on Sunday?

Many thanks

Hi Phil,

Been fishing the Ystwyth on and off all week.Plenty of small sewin coming to the rapala,when the colour has still been in.
Will check the river this afternoon and post on the conditions.:)

Bungle

B

bungle

Just had a look at the river.(Aber beat)
Still up at a good level and only peat stained,should fish well sunday.:)

Bungle

Phil Bullock

Ystwyth fun

Ystwyth fun

Hi Bungle

Many thanks - spot on!

Hit the river at 10 this morning - about a foot up but running clear.

Offered my son James choice of where to start - he made the call and fished the pot of the pool so I fished the tail. First cast with a 7cm floating rainbow trout rapala - wallop! A 3lb beauty for me - thats a personal best! Not huge I know but there you are. Several more knocks and follows by smaller fish.

Then left James and went and fished down stream to get an urgent sounding call on the mobile from one very excited son. Fishing a 3cm sinking blue & silver rapala just where I told him the fish lie above Llanfarian weir a whopper had engulfed the plug. Sounds like it then did the "I think I am a salmon" thing by just swimming slowly up and down for 5 minutes before the 8lb line gave way. B*gg*r!!! Would really have loved him to have that fish - we have very sentimental reasons for fishing that beat.

After that anything else was an anticlimax but one other small silver ingot of about 1lb attached itself to a blue and silver Toby - returned.

Great fun and well worth the 5 hours driving from Cheltenham for a days fishing.

Phil Bullock

B

bungle

Hi Phil,
Well pleased for you that you had a cracking day..The fish we lose are the most remembered,that's why we keep going back for more.:)

Going to fish the Ystwyth more this year as the Rheidol is so hit and miss with genny water at the moment.

Bungle

Rob D

Phil,

glad you had a good day. That stretch above the weir is great with a rapala - the big ones do take some landing though! any idea how big it was?

Cheers
Rob

Phil Bullock

Fun on the Ystwyth

Fun on the Ystwyth

Hi Rob

James didnt see it so wouldnt like to say but from my own experience with salmon - fish in the 6 - 7lb range only - they dont behave like that so - unfortunately for James - I would surmise it was probably larger

Do you agree?

Going by the balsam forest at the top of that stretch up to the bench no-one gets there much. Do you fish it?

Kind regards

Phil

Rob D

Phil,

thats one of my favourite stretches, you know your spinner/fly is the first the fish has seen on a given day. Really nice little pools/glides aswell.

That does sound like a big fish (probably salmon), my dad has had a few in the 12-14lb range off the ystwyth, and once found one half eaten by an otter, estimated at over 20lb. huge for the size of the river.

Cheers
Rob

Phil Bullock

Ystwyth action

Ystwyth action

Thanks Rob

Mr Otter graced us with his presence as well.

The river seems much cleaner than I remeber it 10 years ago and insect life seems to be thriving - a lot of needle flies together with olives, very large sedges and dragon flies. has to be good - but didnt see a single small brownie or parr rise during the day - strange!

Tight lines

Phil

B

bungle

River level report

River level report

The Ystwyth has gone in to full spate again after last nights rain.
Hopefully it will fine off upstream a little this afternoon,but it should be good water by tomorrow if the rain holds off.:)

Bungle

Phil Bullock

Ystwyth conditions

Ystwyth conditions

best of luck bungle - cant see myself getting over again for a while

Son James says if anyone catches a salmon carrying a 3cm silver and blue rapala can we have it back please! :)