Rapala Knot

Steve M

Just looking on the Rapala website and noticed two different knots, the rapala for tying directly to the nose ring and the double loop knot if using a swivel, all of my rapalas came with a swivel is it best to remove the swivel or leave it on and use the double loop knot

http://www.rapala.com/pdfs/instructions/lures_knot.pdf

Regards

Steve M

Salarex

I think you mean the split ring.

I prefer to remove the split ring and use a rapala knot. Reason is that lots of experienced people have told me that is best. They ahve said that if you forget how to tie a rapala knot then use the ring, but the knot is best.

I have caught salmon and sewin using the rapala knot, but not with the split ring. This is not a fair test as I mainly use the knot and havent really used the split ring when they are running....

Steve M

Many thanks for the reply yes I did mean split ring (schoolboy error)

Steve M

PaulD

I quite often attach my Rapalas to a clip swivel which makes for easy and quick changing and has no noticeable effect on the action of the lure.

I tend to use the Rapala knot for lures, and also larger flies. It has stood up to Nile Perch so should be OK for a few Salmon and Sewin.

Links are trouble, they may be good for many sessions, but they will fal on you one day -i t will always be on "the Big one!"