Upmarket Grayling

Neilh

Fished the Test and carriers at Wherwell for grayling on Sunday. A glorious day weatherwise made for some tricky fishing but a few nice grayling were caught.

Rockdoc

Neil,

Please excuse my ignorance but if you are fishing a river like the Test for grayling...do you catch trout too? Having never fished for grayling specifically, I'm a wee bit curious as to how different it would be from trout. I've fished rivers where grayling exist but have never seen one in the flesh, how often will they take flies when fishing for other species?

I see you're just the other side of Harborne from me (Bearwood), ever tried the Severn?

AP:)

Neilh

Neil,

Please excuse my ignorance but if you are fishing a river like the Test for grayling...do you catch trout too? Having never fished for grayling specifically, I'm a wee bit curious as to how different it would be from trout. I've fished rivers where grayling exist but have never seen one in the flesh, how often will they take flies when fishing for other species?

I see you're just the other side of Harborne from me (Bearwood), ever tried the Severn?

AP:)
This is my first year fishing rivers so I'm no expert on grayling so take anything I say with a pinch of salt. Yes, you do occasionally catch trout when targetting grayling - for example on the Test I had 10 grayling and 2 trout. If you find yourself catching several trout you need to change tactics - well I do anyway. On Sunday I was fishing a pink tungsten bead nymph which always seems to catch far more grayling than trout.

I have fished the Severn - at Caersws in Wales - very good grayling fishing. If you want to catch grayling and can afford it I'd recommend paying for a days guiding/tuition from Andrew Cartwright (www.acgameangling.co.uk) - improved my river fishing no end. He lives in Caersws, but also guides on the Dee and other rivers.

L

lochbois

Wandering around

Wandering around

Better stick to "water "POp,we dont want you wandering also:):confused::eek: i keep makeing that mistake and i havnt had a drink for a month:D P.B

Better stick to "water "POp,we dont want you wandering also:):confused::eek: i keep makeing that mistake and i havnt had a drink for a month:D P.B
Peter ..I haven't 'ad one since this date....

tp://seatroutfishing.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=fly&action=display&thread=410

And mebbe ya can unnerstan' , why I no longer imbibe ...too often , of the "social lubricants" ;):):D:D

.......POp;)

ACW

I know Wherewell rather well ,prospected it for the Sharpes of Aberdeen shop in london when I was suicidal enough to work there .
A great grayling fishery ,but it gets hammered through the winter ,not been there for a while ,but am told the big shoals of 50+ fish dont happen any more !
I still do some days grayling on the kennet and there will be days when the fish have had to much pressure ,fortunately the owner has realised controling the number and methods used will long term produce him more income from a self sustaining resource !
Should anyone want to join in on "my" water details are on classified !Not your ordinary days fishing !