Liquid coolant spill into the Tamar estuary

Beanzy

280 litres of liquid nuclear submarine coolant have spilled from a vessel at a Royal Navy base into the River Tamar. :(

MOD said primary coolant was extremely pure water that was used to transfer heat from the submarine reactor core to the main steam generators that power the submarine. (Thank heavens it's not worse)

BBC News Story

Last edited:

Beanzy

It's the fact that it can just spill into the river from the site that worries me. If we're going to have a test this was about the best scenario for it.
If any other effluent pipe had ruptured or a delivery of lubricant had leaked on site, that would have been in the river. I've only seen them there when they're moored up so don't know what extra precautions are taken when servicing them. The cynic in me says there'd be no extra care even if it was sulphuric acid or oil being transferred.

Perhaps some form of additional armoured sleeving is needed on all the hoses in and out with a termination cap connected to a sump & trace wire/alarm at either end.

However other recent headlines make this seem more worrying

Nov4th
"A pipe rupture has caused a steam explosion at a dockyard in Devon.
The incident, at the Devonport yard in Plymouth, occurred at about 1000 GMT, when a rubber hose supplying steam to the Morice Yard area ruptured."

Nov7th
"Hundreds of workers are to lose their jobs at Devonport Dockyard in Plymouth.
Owner, Babcock Marine, confirmed that up to 300 jobs were to go in the cost-cutting measure, after workers were briefed by managers.
Archie Bethel, Babcock Marine's Chief Executive, said the cuts were a result of the company needing to find ways of running the business more effectively."

Things seem to be 'rupturing' due to tight finances.

Last edited: