Clwyd and Elwy 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clwyd and Elwy 2019

Thought I would try and get a thread started for these little rivers. Only been out once for a few hours.

Many reports coming in?

The high water in June appears to have brought in decent numbers of fish to both rivers. Fish are being caught on both rivers. I've had a few to 2lb off the Elwy, to fly at night.

Comment

Good to here going to try and get out this weekend all being well.

Comment

20190712_005554.jpg

Caught this on the Elwy tonight, on a hairwing Butcher pattern. Leapt about the pool and gave me a good fight.

Comment

A beauty - well done!

Comment

Lovely fish, Elwyman. It's nice to see a report from the Elwy, a river I used to fish: makes me nostalgic!
            Paul

Comment

That's a nice sea troot, well done sir.
              A man's a man for a' that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjr5boTgis4

Comment

Great fish waters pretty low on the Elwy at the moment as well. Lower river?

Comment

Thanks, fish was about 3.5lb, my best at night for a couple of seasons. Conditions weren't great, big moon and mist rolling over the fields, although not on the water.
                  Fish came from the middle river, above Pont y Ddol. River was quiet, nothing showing.

Comment

Been out a few times over the last week one fish and two lost to show for my efforts. Seems to be a few fish about best was 2lb good little fight. Some beats getting hammered during the day which is making night fishing tough I think

Comment

The small rise in water may liven things up on the Elwy, get fish moving upriver. Sounds like the Clwyd has had a good run of sea trout.

Comment

We have our family holiday in Tywyn during the last week of August. The Mrs will probably be OK with me sneaking off for a short night on the river. Is there anywhere you could recommend I try where I can get a day ticket?

Comment

Alwyn, I'm afraid end if August is too late for night fishing on the Elwy. The Clwyd may still be worth a shot, as it tends to be a later river. If you can stretch to a night on the Conwy, the Gwydyr fishery will offer a much better chance of sport if conditions are good. Pop into Foxons in St Asaph and they will point you in the right direction.

Comment

I'm quite sure Elwyman knows these rivers a lot better than I do, but I wouldn't be too pessimistic about your chances on the Clwyd. I fished there for two seasons, 2010 and 2011, ,and (according to my diary), in 2010 I had seatrout on August 16th, August 19th and August 27th, a blank on August 30th, then 5 small ones on September 1st. In 2011 I had 2 on August 14th, a blank on the 27th, one on the 29th, and a last one on the 31st. All these were night fishing, by a not very expert sea trout fisher (me). I was fishing the Rhyl and St Asaph water. Although some of their best beats are for members only, you can get day tickets for others. If you're just planning a few hours, I'd try their Pont Dafydd beat, which is easy to get to, and has pretty clear banks so you should be able to fish it safely. As Elwyman says, Foxons will give you excellent advice anyway.

Let us know how you get on! I'm now based in Yorkshire, and miss the Clwyd and Elwy.

Paul

Comment

Great pointers guys, thanks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X