Dysynni 2019

phl

Another holiday week in Wales with my son and family, and some night fishing for sea trout on the Dysynni. Las year, the problem was water too high for good night fishing; this year the reverse, as the river remained low all week. By all accounts, it has been a poor season there so far, and we found it so; 5 nights fishing produced just three small sea trout between us (only one to me). I'm not going to tell you how small they were. On our last night heavy rain (and wind) came at last, driving us off the river, so probably the river will be full of fish this week! Ah well.
We enjoyed ourselves anyway, as we always do.

Paul

Alwyn

I read that you can buy a day ticket from the Tynycornel Hotel for a a big stretch of the river. Do you know if it's any good?

phl

I've only fished the PA beat, so I don't know about this one which I assume is further upstream. After all the rain we've had in the past week, I imagine there'll be plenty of fish up there.

Paul

pjthunt

The Tynycornel Hotel length is a fair bit upstream from the PAAS beat at Pont-y-Garth and is quite a bit smaller(size) As PHL said we have had quite a bit of water and I have said that the Dysynni and my catch for the year is down, Just spent a week fishing it for a return of just 4 fish, but I do love the river.

Alwyn

I called the hotel and they say that they haven’t owned the fishing for some years and they don’t know who does.

phl

I believe you can get day tickets for the Peniarth estate water, at the downstream end of the river, from a tackle shop in Tywyn. From the web, I found a phone number for the Peniarth Estate permits: 01654 710101. The upstream fishing may be Ysumaner AA, for which the number I have is 01654 782279. I found these numbers at www.tywynholidays.co.uk/blog/fishing-in-tywyn
I hope you manage to find something.

Paul

pjthunt

I believe that the tackle shop in Tywyn closed a couple of years, but I seem to remember something about them being sold in the Post Office in Tywyn., but I am not totally sure about either fact.
Peter

Hendrickson

I just tried fishing a piece of the lower Peniarth Estate beat near Bryncrug. Tickets are available at Cadfan News on High Street in Tywyn. The wind was howling off the sea and the water didn’t seem to be flowing downstream much at all. I ended up having to swing the fly upstream with the wind, which felt off. Perhaps the tide was coming in? I have no idea if it goes up that far. At any rate, I gave up around 10:30 after staggering around in the mud and reeds a bit too long.

I’m new to sea trout fishing, although I’ve been avidly night fishing for many years for non-migratory brown trout and other species back home in America (I just moved to the UK). I love the Dysynni valley and actually fished the river 30 years ago with my father near Bird Rock. But I’d like to learn this downstream beat. Does anyone here have any advice on how to fish slow, marshy water like this? I’m confident I had a decent selection of flies, but I was confused about depth, rate of retrieve, and reading the apparently featureless water. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Nick

pjthunt

I have never fished the length you are talking about, but the flow does slow right down / stop when there is a high tide. There is another length below the length that you fish (called Broadwater) where the seatrout come in and out with the tides. I have only fished it once and done no good, but I have heard of some decent fish coming out. The best way to get there is to go all the way to the end of the road that runs alongside the cinema in Tywyn.
I normally fish the length near Bird Rock and always fish with a floating line with a standard figure of eight retrieve.
This year the fishing doesn't seem to have been quite as good, at least for me, but I am still heading back next week for another 6 days or so.
Peter

Hendrickson

Thanks, Peter. If you don’t mind my asking, how do you access the water further upstream? As this thread indicates, it’s hard enough to figure out where to buy tickets to this river (I’ve been asking around for a few days), let alone where to get on the river once you have one in hand!

phl

I've only ever fished the stretch near Bird Rock, controlled by the Prince Albert Club, which sadly does not offer day tickets (and has something like a 2-year waiting list for membership). You might want to consider joining the club if you're here for the long term: it's not expensive, and they have other good sea trout water on the Mawddach and elsewhere. As for the lower water; as Peter says, it is affected by the tide which is always a problem; on other rivers I've fished, I've never had success when the tide backs the river up and stops the flow (although in theory, it should bring fresh fish in).
I do have an old book (Clear Waters, by AG Bradley), written in 1915. which describes fishing this stretch. He says that the way it was fished was to cast upstream, close to the reeds on the near bank, using small flies on fine gut, and work the flies back downstream. In this way he had success with sea trout of from 1 to 4 pounds. I think he was talking about daytime fishing - in those days, I don't think night-time fishing was done very much.
I don't know whether this is helpful at all, but if you do give it another go, I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Paul

pjthunt

Hi Hendrickson,

As Paul said the water upstream by Bird Rock in controlled by Prince Albert Angling Society of Macclesfield and I believe the current waiting list for membership is about one year as a thats how long it took a pal of mine to be offered membership. THey have water on the Dysynni, Mawddach, Dovey, Teifi, Severn and the Welsh Dee as well as numerous other waters such as the Ribble, Lune, Eden, Border Esk, South Tyne and plenty of other waters. Would suggest that if you are here for a period that you get your name on the waiting list ASAP
Hope that this helps a bit.
Peter

Hendrickson

Thanks again, guys. Unfortunately I’m only here for a year full-time, so the PA doesn’t make sense. According to the map printed on the back of the ticket, The Peniarth Estate beat is very long. But it’s not clear how to get on it except at the very bottom, where it’s marshy. Anyway, a project for another holiday!

pjthunt

If you want to send me a copy of the map I can probably figure out where the access is to the lower length as I know the area reasonably well. Best way to send it is to
phunt@runbox.com
Peter