Denbigh and Clwyd Angling Club

highplains

Denbigh and Clwyd Angling Club has around 15 miles of the River Clwyd as well as several miles of fishing on other rivers in North Wales on other clubs with which DCAC has reciprocal arrangements. This means the club provides the opportunity for fishing 365 days a year.

It is not widely realised that the Clwyd ranks in the top 4 Welsh rivers for sea trout catches. The average size of fish is about 1.5 lbs, with fish in the region of 5lbs being recorded each year. Occasional fish in in the region of 10lbs and above are recorded each year.

For the last two years the season on the Clwyd have started with high water, as is the case at the time of writing, with unusually low water throughout the rest of the season. This has meant that many locals have not fished, but rather waited for the rise in water which failed to materialise. However those anglers that did venture forth has exceedingly good seasons. Shaun of Foxon's tackle in St ASaph, regularly one of the top local rods, fishing at night took over 50 fish last season: all of which were returned, whilst others like Tony Espley of DCAC took over 40 fish during daylight hours on a small Mepps. All but a couple of these fish were also returned.

For some years now the club has encouraged voluntary catch and release of all fish species. One result of this policy has been the noticeable increase in the size of Clwyd wild brown trout. The river offers exceptional wild brown trout fishing with fish of around a pound being regularly recorded and one and a half pounders are increasingly common. The biggest recently recorded wild brown tipped the scales at a wonderful three pounds.

New members are given a tour of the river and the club committee members are willing to meet and advise all club members.

Day tickets are available from the club web site http://www.denbighandclwydac.org.uk/ or from Foxon's tackle shop in St Asaph

We are pleased to see that our membership is growing but there are a still a few memberships available.

I like it. If you would like further information, please PM me.

Tight lines for 2015

Last edited:

clwydman

Close to the upper reaches of the Clwyd, the bit a
The Clwyd is a real hidden gem of a sea trout river, hidden mainly because it does not fit the pattern of a classic sea trout river. The DCAC water is probably the best on the river and has water in the upper, middle and lower reaches. It is a cracking club and well worth looking at.

Vol

I joined this year and am looking forward to discovering the river

Cant wait :)

Mike

highplains

Hi Mike,

Welcome.

If I may offer a little help. Even when the river is dead low from mid June onward, there are fish in teh river and they can be caught during the day as well as at night. Please don't wait for what seem to be ideal conditions. On teh Clwyd, all conditions are good.

Tight lines.

highplains

POSSIBLE UDN. WARNING AND INFORMATION NOTICE.

Please follow this link to the front page of the cpwf web site, where I have posted a notice about the possibility of UDN. The notice is from the EA in England and refers to the River Wye .

UDN decimated salmon stocks back on the 60's: it could be really serious.

http://www.cpwf.co.uk/campaign/