Bishop Auckland & District Angling Club

tacfly

As you may well know the River Wear in County Durham is renowned for its sea trout fishing. 4lb fish are common and there are many caught over 10lb in a season. Bishop Auckland & District Angling Club have vacancies for 2017, as well as providing day tickets. A tour of the most prolific beats can be arranged for new members. More information can be obtained via the membership secretary

Last edited:

Alwyn

I've joined for 2018 and received my membership book today. Which beats are best for sea trout?

Alwyn

Kept that quiet mate

Sewinfly. ...........

Well it seemed like a good offer - the membership is £150 a year with no joining fee so I figured that if I manage to get up there a few times a season it will work out worthwhile and the sea trout fishing is very good by all accounts. I fished the Towy pretty hard last year and generally the fishing was really tough with many regulars claiming that the season was the worst they'd experienced, so as lovely as the Towy is, I decided to maybe try the Wear this year. No doubt I will still do a few nights on the Towy though!

Alwyn

To be honest you can catch sea trout on any of the beats. The vinovium pool is very popular. I fish the lower beats and catch both salmon and sea trout. If you phone Keith Robson the membership secretary his knowledge of the beats is second to none.
Thanks Stacon, I'm in touch with Keith by email and he seems a very nice and helpful chap.

sewinfly

Well it seemed like a good offer - the membership is £150 a year with no joining fee so I figured that if I manage to get up there a few times a season it will work out worthwhile and the sea trout fishing is very good by all accounts. I fished the Towy pretty hard last year and generally the fishing was really tough with many regulars claiming that the season was the worst they'd experienced, so as lovely as the Towy is, I decided to maybe try the Wear this year. No doubt I will still do a few nights on the Towy though!

See they do day tickets to mate ;)

Sewinfly...........

tom_o_m

I fished this water earlier in the week, while visiting family nearby.

What a river! Lovely fishable water, plenty of sea trout holding runs and pools and clearly full of substantial fish. I caught 2, both 22", I also had around 5 pulls and saw a monstrous fish jumping.

I will be back!

Tom
53A7B519-F449-48D1-9459-E021EAF7934E.jpg083AFB5B-FA6F-4B27-8238-DBB3343F16FF.jpg

Cumbrian Blue

I used to have a ticket on the Chester-Le-Street water quite a few years ago, didn't make the most of it as I was in a bit of a maritial turmoil :( , ended up jacking it up, wish I hadn't
I had some good fish, the Wear is renowned for its Sea Trout, hooked a biggy one night and it just led me a merry dance up and down, A mate who was a regular on the river saw the fish come to the surface and quoted its the biggest Sea Trout he had ever seen and wouldn't have gone in the net, he estimated it at around the 20lb mark. He often referred to these large Sea Trout as Bullies, How true he was. Been a long time since I last chucked a line, but that's gonna change this year, I've got to get back to it, I miss it too much.
What's the score on getting a ticket on BA waters.

Regards Cumbrian Blue

tom_o_m

Couple of good fish there Tom. Holywell is my favourite stretch of the river, can be very productive!
I just wish I got there early enough to have more of a look around, I limited myself (very happily in the end) to one small pool and a run. Would happily spend 3 nights familiarising myself with just this beat.

£150 is ludicrously good value. This is a top class river at bargain bucket prices. If only I were closer...

tom_o_m

Brilliant club and great water. Hope you get to fish it again this year Tom.
Thanks! My brother lives in Darlington... so nice and close! I'm looking forward to going back, probably in July.

Last edited: