Frustrated!!!!

TGEvans

Went down to my local hotspot today and as I arrived a fish jumped in front of me at the head of the pool. Probably around the five pounds mark. I tried Flying C's in a few different colours, Aglia Longs, silver and gold and toby's. Nothing. Its only a small pool but pretty deep. And at the moment it cant get out because the river levels have dropped. I tried for over an hour but it didnt even chase it. Will go again in the morning. Bar a bag of lime, Any ideas?

Beanzy

My preference would be a Copper Mepps with red spots, upstream dropping in from outside the pool, so it's really low coming into the pool. As soon as you want it to begin fishing give it a sharp jerk to get the blade going instantly, then ease right back and just allow the waterflow to spin it until it approaches the dangle then begin winding in normally. You'll be surprised how deep it stays flashing away down where the salmon may think it's worth the effort of a lunge.

Before you approach the pool tomorrow try fishing the back eddies at the head of the pool, standing way back from the bank, casting upstream, but you'll be fishing the seam between the water going upstream and the main flow coming down. It may have jumped at your approach as it was in those back washes right by the head of the pool.

TGEvans

That sounds like a plan! Thank you. It did jump again, about half an hour into the session. A friend of mine does really well on copper vibrax lures on Salmon around the same stretch but it has never worked for me. Will go and get a copper mepp in the morning first thing! Do you have a lot of success with them? They work for me on small brownies. A size one aglia long or mepp is lethal for brownies down here!

Beanzy

On the Camel many reach for the flying C first thing, but I've seen them spook the pool with them & reckon you need some pretty roughed and flowing water for them to be at their best. However a really big Copper mepps size4 or 5 (10 or 12 gm) is my first choice if I'm fishing a spinner. You can get them to cast really accurately and can vary the depth really easily. They'll also fish fast or slow which means you can cover the whole pool with one option. The red spots bit is just so it's not all metallic flash which can seem too much in our small river. In coloured up water I get good reactions from the silver with black spots. The Aglia longue size 4 is great in a spate.

I also close down the barbs on the treble or replace them with a worming circle hook if I want to keep a barb. A small split-ring link with some sillicone tube slid up over it from the hook side keeps the hook fishing level once clipped on. There's still a bump on the hook where the front of the barb was, but you're not worried about the wee savages that will also attack a big Mepps who can get really badly hooked by a barbed treble.

TGEvans

I like your thinking with the single hook! The Brownies have been extra greedy this year and getting caught on two or even three hooks of trebles. I will get a few mepps in the morning, silver and copper. I will let you know how I get on!

Beanzy

Hey ho! 'twas worth the go.

For what it's worth I got out for an hour today and all I did was make a seatrout jump & lost a fly up a tree. :rolleyes:

devonminnow

Try a mepp's type spinner with a black oxide blade and tarnised brass or black body. The thinking behind this is that once the water temperature exceeds about 10'c metallic spinner over stimulate the fish, scaring the fish. I know of an angler how fishes the River Tyne and that is the only colour he uses, he catches countless number of salmon. I have only found black oxide blades and bodies available in the USA but you could try a Mepp's Black Fury. I tried the change of colour from silver 1" Allcock minnow to a black one instead this summer for trout and had far more fish on the black one. Keep trying and good luck.
P.S Try a McHardys of Carlisle for a barrel swivel weight they great for getting extra depth. Spin very slowly.

spyderweb

frustrated

frustrated

Hi, After having read "Spinner Fishing For Steelhead, Salmon And Trout" by Jed Davis ISBN 0936608412 , ISBN 0936608404 , and adopted his methods to fish for sea-trout, I use a silver Mepps Aglia Longue in a variety of sizes. What he basically says in his book is that in brighter and warmer conditions the fish can be easily spooked by a lure that is too bright. He recommends using different coloured tape on the inside of the blade to tone down the brightness of the lure as it passes by. I achieve what I want by using electrical insulating tape [AKA insulting tape], mostly brown, sometimes black and some other colours depending on conditions. I use brown mostly because the bed of the river tends to be brownish after a spate and it "blends" in so to speak. I use an Aglia Longue because the blade rotation seems to be slower and the spinner fishes deeper which IMHO spooks the fish less than something flashy near the surface. On the subject on hooks I use barbless trebles for easier release of small fish. The book is an excellent read written by a spin fishing anorak who goes into a lot of detail, oh! and the photos of the fish will turn anyone's head, hope this may be of some help, Spyderweb.

S

silverinvicta

My favorite river spinner over here is a 2-3 mepps, silver, with a piece of black holographic sticky back mylar stuck on the outside of the blade..
I've been using them for quite a few years now and aint found anything better,,You can buy spinners already done like that..but i like the Mepps :D
The mylar can be sourced on ebay
Si......

devonminnow

Hi spyderwed, I have read that book too ,another good book to read is Spin-Fishing for Sea Trout By Gary Webster. They both say the samething, in low clear water use black blades with either tarnised brass bodies or black bodies. They spook the fish less but also represent small creatures with they fed on when they were small fry/fish. Black oxide blades are available from PAN-TAC FISHING COMPONENTS in the USA. Mepp's have add two new spinners to there collection a black bladed Aglia and a black Longcast #4 and #5 ,see Mepp,s website.

spyderweb

frustrated

frustrated

Hi spyderwed, I have read that book too ,another good book to read is Spin-Fishing for Sea Trout By Gary Webster. They both say the samething, in low clear water use black blades with either tarnised brass bodies or black bodies. They spook the fish less but also represent small creatures with they fed on when they were small fry/fish. Black oxide blades are available from PAN-TAC FISHING COMPONENTS in the USA. Mepp's have add two new spinners to there collection a black bladed Aglia and a black Longcast #4 and #5 ,see Mepp,s website.
Thanks Devonminnow I'll have a good look at the websites and start stocking up for next season, tight lines, Spyderweb.