Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River Tamar & tributaries

Hi all,

Don't know if there are many fellow Tamar/Lyd anglers on here, but thought I'd start a thread for the river between England and Cornwall

So far a handful of peal have been caught from the lower river during the day on fly - night fishing won't really start until mid May for those suffering with really bad peal fever, and June for everyone else.
    Anyway, a mate saw a peal jump at the Lyd/Tamar junction yesterday, so they are starting to push through.

Loads of water in the river following an inch of rain over the last 24hrs. Today the Tamar at Polson rose from 8in to about 3ft and was still rising at about 4pm today. After low water for several weeks, it's perfect timing to bring the first peal and springers up to the middle river. However, thanks largely (I reckon) to maize field runoff and freshly tilled flood plain , the river was running a horrific brick red colour - it's amazing that anything can survive it. It could well be the case that the level falls right back before the colour drops out.

Anyone else fish the Tamar here???

Cheers

Tim

Fingers crossed for some steady rainfall....
    'No man ever steps into the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.'

Comment

Too right. As expected, the river has dropped right back yet is still a horrible colour

Comment

When you start your night fishing in May/June will you go straight for balmy July/August tactics or will something else be in order? Slow sinkers or straight to the floater and Pilks Bumble?
        'No man ever steps into the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.'

Comment

Prob start on the summer tactics (the 'dead-cert' lies are in shallow water), but with flies a size larger (ie 4s). Also worth fishing the deeper areas (donkey and railway pool spring to mind) with sunk lines. Having said that, Pilks and Bucks only ever use floaters... and they've had a fish fish or three over the years

Comment

Originally posted by otisthedog View Post
            Also worth fishing the deeper areas (donkey and railway pool spring to mind) with sunk lines.
            There must be a 4lber on the bend in Silver Doctor by now too.

Silver Doctor in June with a bit of water on it:
            Last edited by Dusty Miller; 29-04-2009, 11:19 AM.

Comment

My first of the year. Taken earlier this month on a Sunray Shadow and Int tip in daylight. Weighed about 2oz more than OtisTD's fish...

Comment

Had this shiner today - a really fat, great condition peal - measured and released at 18in so 2lb ish. Was salmon fishing lower down on the river when it took a flamethrower in black and yellow. Not a bad scrap, even though 'twas on a 13-footer.

We also saw two nice peal move today and I turned a decent fish that chased a big sunray shadow but wouldn't grab hold.
                No sign of salmon about, but 'tis good to see a few early peal
                The first of the very keen night fishers are out on the middle river this week...

Comment

Sponsored by GoreTex now?

Comment

BBC1 Countryfile,
                    gona be trapping salmon on the Taymar.
                    "He who dares wins Rodney"

Comment

Originally posted by otisthedog View Post
                      The first of the very keen night fishers are out on the middle river this week...
                      Did they have any joy?

Comment

Just a small Sea Trout around 2.5lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
                          Did they have any joy?
                          Haven't heard anything. I managed to lose a fish at night, lower down the river - a couple of fish moved as it got dark, then an otter went through. All went quiet. Later on I fished with a sunk line and tube, the fish was on and off within 5 seconds
                          Still, 'tis early yet.

Comment

We had the first salmon AND first sea trout off the Arundell Arms water this season today. David Pilkington fished the tail of Silver Doctor pool on the Lyd with a size 4 black wooly bugger this afternoon in coloured water. He landed and released a peal of 19in (2 1/2lb +), missing another fish.
                            At around 8.30pm this evening, Gerald Spiers hooked a fish after just a few casts on the Tamar's Quarry Pool on a big red templedog of his own tying. The spanking salmon was not at all happy and tried to leave the pool... some fun on a 10ft 8-wt in big water
                            The fish was measured at 74cm (9lb ish) and swam away strongly.

Nice work folks

Things are looking great for the weekend
                            Last edited by otisthedog; 20-05-2009, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Are Day tickets available for Tamar?

Hi guys

I am in Plymouth for a couple of weeks in a few weeks time and was wondering if and where day tickets can be purchased?

Cheers Wiganer
                              If only I didn't NEED to work then I'd always be fishing...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X