River Tamar & Tributaries 2010

otisthedog

We're nearly there... March 1st will see the opening of the River Tamar salmon season and although the likelihood of a fish is next to nothing, one or two may just venture out to make a lazy cast or two.
My prediction is for the first fish to come just after the middle of the month, as per last season.
It's still a long way 'til May however... let's hope for a run of peal like last year. Although without the weather.

Anyway, to keep in touch with conditions this year, you can see the new Tamar webcam here (Lyd webcam coming soon I'm told):

RIVER TAMAR @ HORSEBRIDGE

or the daily river levels (including tribs) via FishPal here:

RIVER TAMAR LEVELS

Good luck one and all for 2010

Tim

stig

Nice to see....

Nice to see....

You're out of hibernation Tim:D Still got over a month to go before I get anywhere near it. If you and Graham are doing any pre-season trimming give me a shout I'll come up and give you a hand;)

otisthedog

Will do Stu,

Have spent the closed season doing a major 'trimming' (felling!) job on our main River Lyd beats (the ones you saw last summer). It's looking awesome, and will be better still with the coming addition of a couple of wooden 'peal shelters'!
Will try to arrange another meet during the summer - let's pray for fishable conditions this time :rolleyes:

Haven't walked the Fowey all winter, sadly.

Cheers

Tim

Dusty Miller

Looking forward to christening my "Peal Remover" flyline :).

Good luck to everyone for 2010.

otisthedog

No reports of fish on opening day, but it's not much of a surprise. Anglers will be best off grayling fishing... for another couple of weeks or so.

All the best

Tim

otisthedog

Still no fish landed as yet, although David Pilkington did lose a salmon on fly when fishing the tidal water last week...
Reports are that one or two early peal are about with the odd springer.
Rivers are currently big and chocolatey!

otisthedog

Doing the double :)

Doing the double :)

Finally started the ball rolling on the Tamar!
David Pilkington and I fished the last couple of afternoons and (as far as we currently know) managed the first peal and first salmon of the season :D

On Tuesday DP hooked a big peal pretty much straight away, only to have it throw the hook at the net as I was taking a few snaps. The jammy so and so moved to a pool a couple of hundred yards away and promptly had another! This one didn't come off and a near 3lb sea-liced fish graced the net. It's DP's earliest fish off the river, by a day - that was last year!
He hooked both fish in screaming bright sunlight, an intermediate and... a s.4 Pilk's Bumble :rolleyes:

Yesterday, we fished a beat lower down. As we ate lunch after arriving, a fish showed in front of us. Thankfully, I hooked the fish this time (avoiding a season long gloating session :D) - an 8lb springer with long-tailed lice. Some scrap on a 7wt single handed setup (intended for an early peal) in very powerful water :). The fly.... a s.4 WMD, fished on a Di3 line

A pair of crackers to start the season off nicely :cool:

S

silverinvicta

Well done guys... I can't wait to get out.. a few weeks yet i'm afraid :(

Si.....

dB

Excellent... great to see some cracking fish from the south west...cant wait to get home soon.
dB

otisthedog

Out guiding for regular hotel guest James Graham today. Last year he caught his first sea trout (ending up catching several!) and - on the first day of trying - an autumn salmon on a spinner. So we came up with the challenge to catch his first salmon on fly in 2010. He did it on the first day!!

The fish was taped at 31.5 inches and went on the chart at 11lb. Awesome fight on the 7wt (we were really fishing for a daytime peal) with 30yds of backing out of the rod tip twice and several moments of panic. Delighted to net the fish for a thoroughly good bloke.
The fish took a size 8 WMD on an intermediate line.
Marvellous work sir!

Last edited:

Beanzy

What a result so early on.
A pristine fish too in very good shape. All too often we end up highlighting something amiss about a fish, but that's just springtime perfection for a SW fish.

Very heartening to see. Well done all.

otisthedog

Managed to open the account on the Tamar last night after losing a good fish last week.... this one wasn't big at 2lb 8oz but was very welcome indeed :D Caught on a size 2 WMD on a midge tip.
Had two other offers, but failed to connect. Otherwise, very quiet. I think that the cold water is holding the fish back a little as the Lyd currently seems devoid of fish. Won't be long though :)