River Rheidol 2015

phl

Just returned from a week on the Rheidol: as last year, a family holiday with my son and I trying to catch seatrout each night. If you know the Rheidol, you'll know that the big problem is the hydroelectric scheme: when they are generating electricity, the river runs high and cold, and local opinion is that this is fatal to night-fishing success. This was the case on our first night, so we were not optimistic, but a helpful local angler suggested a pool where we might have a chance, and indeed here, at dusk, I managed a fish of about a pound and a half. Later with the river now having fallen fast, I had another, a little smaller. After this early success, however, most of the rest of the week was rather disappointing. I did get one more pounder, also at dusk when the river was high during power-generation, but on the nights when it was low we had nothing. Some nights were a liitle clear and chilly, but we missed out even on a night when conditions seemed good; not knowing the river well, we were probably in the wrong places at the wrong time. On the last night, however, seemingly heading for another blank, I hooked a powerful fish. It played very deep, but eventually came to the net: 7lb 4oz, easily my best ever!

Paul

crewefisher

Great report Paul it always looks a fantastic river I've never fished it.
Congratulations on the fish particularly the big one on the last night, that's a cracking fish!!!

phl

Thanks, Shane. The Rheidol is a difficult river, but it does have a reputation for big fish: there's one of 16lb set up in the tackle shop in Aberystwyth.
That's probably the last of my seatrout fishing for this year now: apart from that trip, I just had one night on the Wenning, when Tom and I each had a couple, so it's been (by my standards!) a good year.

Paul