Oot and aboot for the troot....Hello

Seatrooter

Hello folks, this was a pleasant surprise to see this forum link from the SFF.

I look forward to reading your stories and learning your knowledge, Im guessing there is a world full of knowledge here for us all and maybe I have some too for you.

I fish in the north east of Scotland Salmon/Sewin mostly, always on a flea, all beit have got a ridiculas amount of spinning gear too.

OK Im waffling, nice to meet you all, fingers crossed I will have something to post later on, Im away to head out for a cast on this fine wet day.

SeaTrooter :D

Nothing to report the other night, up until now had 10 on the flea, stoats tail blue variant, biggest 5.5lb....tremendous scrap....the rest between 3 and 4LB.
the water is now hight and dirty...will be good by tonight though.
tight lines abdy.....

Last edited:

phl

Good to see a new name in the forum, SeaTrooter: welcome!
You seem to have some good fishing where you are: what river is it?
Paul

Andy R

Welcome to the Forum Seatrooter, 5.5 for Scotland is a big fish ( I've not managed anything as good from the Dyfi this season....)

There's a lot of stuff in the archives, but it's true to say there's not as many on here as there used to be. But on the bright side - you're another one added!

Seatrooter

Morning, I fish the river Ythan just north of Aberdeen, we are lucky here as the than estuary is only 3 miles from the town centre here, my house is literally a 1 minute walk from some tremendous holding pools the the water drops.
nothing to report from last night but saw some thumpers coming up through Batties and the clay pots, bright and windy today but with the water golden dirty it might fish well today....bloody windy though......
thanks for reply, nice to meet you...

Seatrooter

Morning, thank you for the welcome.
I did notice there wasn't many members, perhaps thats because us sea trooters are a rare breed, or mad haha.
May I ask where the Dyfi is (Wales?) do you fish at night for them?

Cam

haptonlad

Welcome to the forum seatrooter:)
It's always good for the forum to have new members joining up, like other members have already commented on we've lost a lot of our main contributors.
Paul.

phl

May I ask where the Dyfi is (Wales?) do you fish at night for them?

Cam
I'm sure Andy will tell you more next time he's on the forum, but until then....The Dyfi (or Dovey) is in West Wales, halfway down Cardigan Bay. It's probably the best seatrout river in Wales, especially for big fish: seatrout in the teens of pounds are not uncommon. It's a very clear river, so most seatrout fishing is at night except in high water.
I've only fished it once, not in the best part of the river, and caught nothing (not unusual for me) - but Andy gets wonderful catches.

Paul

Andy R

Cam,

Paul is bang on.... though the clarity on Saturday was much to be desired I managed to get three sewin and my guest five fish, not big, best 2lb 9oz. Same day a mate of mine had a 3,7 &5.....

There's been a good number of doubles caught on the river, unfortunately not by me. But it's a wonderful river to fish, especially when it clears at night.....

KR

Andy

Red Angus

Ythan.

Ythan.

Welcome to the Forum Seatrooter, 5.5 for Scotland is a big fish ( I've not managed anything as good from the Dyfi this season....)

There's a lot of stuff in the archives, but it's true to say there's not as many on here as there used to be. But on the bright side - you're another one added!
Hi Seatrooter, I fished that river a good few yeats ago.
I was disgusted by some anglers openly snatching fish with a three large fly and weight below set up, hauling seatrout out nearly every cast. This was in broad daylight at the big bridge.
I hope this practice has stopped as reported it to the bailiffs..
Garry.