River Test Friday 23rd October 2009 - any takers?

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
I am going to the Test on 23rd October 2009, to a mid river beat.

Is anyone interested in a day? Please let me know if you are interested, asap

Cheers

Hoppy

sewinbasher

Just to whet appetites I was on the middle Test this week and here are a few shots.

One of the carriers

A few fish on show (I caught the fish nearest the camera and it was a brown just shy of 4lbs)

A beautiful "lady" only this is a "gentleman".

and there are a few trout too!

Last edited:

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Nice one SB - looks like you had a good day.

Next friday willl be on that beat!

Hoppy;)

Aled

Hi Guys
Sadly Hoppy will have to decline but here's a question
Those chalkstreams produce some cracking fish. Last year we fished the upper Test and caught some lovely browns which had been stocked and had grown on in the wild. They tasted great, anybody eaten any of those grayling? I know the brownies are out of season but a grown on escaped rainbow from a stream like that would probably taste good. :D
Tight Lines
Aled

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Aled - Eat Grayling - a shocking prospect! I dont think i could ever kill one, they are just too pretty!

As for the Rainbows, PaulD had a stonker from there last year, but we put it back!

Hoppy

Aled

Yes Paul, know the feeling regarding grayling, they are cracking fish. But i will maintain the right to kill and eat a fish if i think its going to taste good, and judging by where those grayling live they will taste good! I've never eaten or killed one so i have no idea if there worth putting on a plate. Hence the initial question.
Now an autumn rainbow from the river Test will taste superb and there are in my opinion no moral qualms about taking one of those home! :D
Tight Lines All looks a cracking spot for some sport.
Aled

sewinbasher

I'm probably going to attract all sorts of curses and criticism for this but in my youth I used to take a few grayling from the Monnow and can confirm that they taste really good. My late Dad used to prefer a grayling to a trout if I was bringing anything home.

outside

No criticism at all. My father in law insists grayling taste best. A female friend of mine killed one for her tea and couldn't stop crying! I would kill and eat them if I was hungry, but I'm not really. Curiosity may get the bettwr of me one day though!

bluecharm

I heard on the radio yesterday that the definition of 'game' was a species that had an open and closed season for capture ............and that you could eat it.

In the piscatorial context, grayling therefore qualifies asa game fish. Doesn't it ?? :confused:

If not, then isn't it a coarse fish ?

BC.

S

silverinvicta

Game fish are designated by the extra fin... The ADIPOSE., It aint a real fin, its a small piece of gristle. All fish with this fin are designated game fish ....Therefore a Grayling IS a game fish that just happens to spawn with the coarse fishes...
And by the way I ate plenty in my youth, they are a far superior table fish to trout or Salmon.....IMHO. :p

Si...

PS I aint taken a grayling in over 40 years :D

Aled

Nice one guys, they are quite numerous so if an occasion arises maybe i'll try one for the table. But its family, rugby and shooting head on now for a while so maybe next year.
Tight Lines
Aled

PaulD

I knocked one on the head last year as I'd never eaten one ... and it was very nice!

Sweet, white flesh that struck me it had more in common with a sea fish, like whiting, than any other freshwater fish I'd tasted.

S

silverinvicta

Here's a tip that works, If cooking Grayling, use BEEF dripping, it enhances the flavour and takes away any slight "muddiness" taste the fish may have.. (not often i must add)
I must say, i don't agree with PaulD about the whiting taste..:D Whiting have to be, the most, insipid, watery fleshed fish, i have ever encountered in 60 yrs of fishing.. IMO... not worth the trouble of preparing for the table. :p
Although i suppose some must like em...:rolleyes: HeHe...

Si........:cool:

ACW

Not eaten a grayling for several decades,found the taste bland and insipid,then I have bugg**d my taste buds by smoking .
It is great to see the way attitudes have changed to the Lady,used to see dead grayling slung in the bushes on the chalk, very rare to see that now .
The regular beat I fish used to have a catch and kill policy ,this was ignored by the thinking angler and the owner now recomends a minimal harvest.
happily my days with 10 rods out there might be a couple of fish for the pot every season.

scrumbag

Gutted boys! If only it could be a Saturday. Only second week in new job, think a cheeky Friday off this stage might be a little much to ask. Be good to finally meet some of you guys and keep me in mind for the next foray down here!

Scrummy

Last edited:

Hoppy

Administrator
Staff member
Gents,

Many apologies for this, but due to unforseen circumstances, i am going to have to cancel this fridays trip to the Test.

I will arrange another trip in an another month or so.

Sorry for this.

Hoppy:(