advice please-rod, reel and lines

exile

I'm looking to spend £150-ish on a rod, reel and a couple of lines (floater and intermediate). I'd like a 4 piece rod and for it to double for sea trout (my first love) and for rainbows (what we fish for in the south east when we can't get back to where we belong!). In other words pretty much bottom of the range -cheap and cheeful but bascially Ok. I'd rather not spend the next few days/weeks trawling through fishing tackle websites/chasing down reviews- so would welcome any suggestions.

thanks for any help.

S

silverinvicta

Tackle discounts are having a sale.... http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TACKLEDISCOUNTS-ultimate-value?_trksid=p4340.l2563
I have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years, mainly rods. My last buy was around 2/3 years ago. I bought two "Nielsen" rods, 6 & 7 weight ... What crackers they are.
What you have to remember when buying at the lower end of the price chain is that rod makers have too save money somewhere, its usually on the fittings, rings etc.... Many have cracking blanks and are worth re-ringing when needed, i have done that with two Air-Flo rods i had.. nice blanks, crap fittings. But they were cheap..
The Nielsen rods i bought are still going strong after 2/3 years.. They are just starting to show a tad of wear on the butt and 2 up from there... But for under £30 i cant complain, they are lovely blanks.. Sadly they have no more. You want a 4 piece, they are are fair bit more expensive than most 3 piece...
have a look through what they have got...n most 3 piec3.The flextec rods were popular for a while. Cracking casting rods.. I watched a forum member casting with his, amazing.. (i don't remember the model though) I found them a tad heavy for myself.. He did'nt lol ...
The other place to look is in the 2nd user sections of tackle shops on line.....
All the best

Si.....
PS... If you look for reels, don't use the drop down menu, use the the menu top left, on the content list.

ghammersley

Shakespeare Oddesey rod can be had for 25. Will do the job and who cares if you stand on it. Half decent reel for 50. Buy decent lines though. I use sewincasters but have a Cartland intermediate sink tip. I believe Arundell Arms sell their own brand lines which are said to be good. Ask otisthedog.

fordfly

Another vote for the oddesey ive been using one for 3 seasons now a great rod for the price!
Tightlines andy

T7

Try the Airflo tec-pt, lovely blank (as SI says) fittings not great but not had a problem with mine. They were going for about 40-50 quid on ebay (new) and you won't get much better for that price. EDIT: they only have the 9 ft and the 9 ft 6" left (link below)

Alternativley look for a second hand Redington redfly, they generally go for about £50 as well on ebay.

As for reels Koma Cassette would be a good choice (about £50 new) you get a load of spools with it and you'll not need another reel for sea trout or rainbows.

That leaves £50 for a couple of lines...

Rod: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLOWOUT-AIRFLO-TEC-MT-TEC-PT-Trout-and-Sea-trout-fly-rod-9ft-10ft-6-7-8-9-wt-/221023887963?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&var=&hash=item7917add9a4

Reel: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VISION-KOMA-KASSETTE-6-7-8-FLY-FISHING-REEL-2-SPARE-CASSETTE-SPOOLS-AND-BAG-/370575575384?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item5648068958

S

silverinvicta

As T7 says... quote[ the Airflo tec-pt, lovely blank] end quote. That was one of the blanks i re-whipped... I have another that needs re-whipping its a Tec-PS 10' 6/7 WT another lovely blank... if you see one and fancy a refurbish, buy it.... The PS stands for presentation series... Its a slightly crisper blank, very nice.
You can go on forever with rods.. here's another site i have had some real bargains off even with postage.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/fishing-rods~d~190/?page=1 .
I bought one of my favourite rods of all time here.. A Powell "edge"9' 4 piece 4 wt An absolute cracker, especially for dry fly work.... saved around £150.00 if i remember right...Daz had one (he bust his) so does Hoppy.

Si......

T7

Do scierra trading post ever stock 'proper' sized rods ;-) always 4,5, or 6 weights...

T7

Just looked and they have a couple of 7 weights, which look good. All 9 footers though...

S

silverinvicta

T7, i've seen rods up to a 12 wt on Scierra.. The Americans do use lighter gear than us. But do we need the heavier rods ???? Last season i was landing Carp into double figures on 6 wts easily.. I plan to use a 4 wt next time i go... My health has stopped me from walking far now, so untill i find a fairly easy access Sewin river i'm stuck....

Si.....

T7

Sorry to hear that SI, I generally like at least a 7 weight to turn over big tubes and surface lures. A 6 wt seems to struggle (for me anyway). I do like a light rod for floating lines/ small flies but a 7 gives the best of both...

exile

thanks again for all your advice- really helpful---now to act on it!

T7

Let us know what you go for, and remember it's always best to try before you buy...