Switch rod - what size?

shedhed

Hi, by size I'm asking about line weight. Using a switch rod, how heavy and/long should I be thinking. Wanting to use at night, using the whole range of flies, but thinking tubes and snakes will be used mostly(I'm not talking about tungsten bottles,more like 2-21/2' ally tubes at the most). I want to have the ability to turn these over and the line presentation not to be too messy on the surface as to spook everything. Yet still be able to 'switch' to single handed use when wanted. Going to be used on the south welsh river and South Esk.. and everything in between ;)

I know the lining system for switch rods is a bit squiffy at the mo,..... is it on the single or double hand scale aftm?... So that's why I'm asking other users of switch what there comfortable set up is regarding head length and weight.

cheers

Waddington

I bought a switch rod last season and am looking forward to hopefully getting a lot of use out of it this year. I've got the vision 7wt 10ft 11", bought on the recommendation of a casting instructor. Bear in mind I'm still very much at the beginning stage of speycasting.

I think that 11ft is ideal. These rods are rated on the salmon aftm scale. I was recommended an afs 31g (7-8) shooting head with my rod. A lighter line would be needed for overhead casting. It also works well with a 450gr skagit. A hell of a lot heavier than a 7wt trout line! It gets more complicated as this is considerably heavier than the rods supposed rating from the manufacturer. Line choice really does seem a lottery and I would definitely be careful before parting with a lot of money.

The point of Switch rods seems to be speycasting with both hands. I think they would be hard work to cast overhead singlehanded for any length of time. I'm tempted to experiment this coming season trying my rod at night, but I think most people would see the main purpose of a switch rod to be high water daytime fishing.

Hope you find what you are looking for :).
Phil

Last edited:

Andy R

Shedhed,

I'd agree with waddington, I've got two switch rods, a guideline exceed 11ft #8, and a Thomas & Thomas 11ft 6in #7, I bought the former thinking I'd get the best of both worlds but in fact it does neither that well, to cast double handed the bottom handle is too short, and the top only just long enough, it works but is not comfortable. Single handed its more through action and not anywhere near as good as my single handlers. The t&t is far better, I use it exclusively double handed and the line control is fantastic in high water with small flies in a flood, skaggit line for when you need a larger fly...the switch is really a name that describes the spey casting ( Americans call it switch casting) rather than what has been somewhat lost in translation as `switching between single and double handed casting.

I'd forget about a switch rod for night fishing or single handed casting, for me a switch rod is a perfect double handler for high water seatrout fishing and nothing more, although it excels at this function.

Andy r

teififlies

Hi Shedhead, Like most things in fishing one mans meat is another mans poison.
I built a switch rod 3 years ago it's a Batson 10'8" and rated an 8 weight. I use an 8weight 40+ line cut back to 30'.
I'm well past 60yrs old and have no problem overhead casting most of the night and spey casting(either single handed or double handed) is even easier. I also use mine for low water salmon fishing during the day, something I think switch rods exel at.
I've tried switch rods over 11' in length an in my opinion they are too long for night fishing, as Andy said, good for daytime fishing if there is a bit of water on.
Try before you buy if you can.

sewinfly

I treated myself to a Beulah Fly Rod Classic 8/9 wt switch rod.
Have not used yet but will be used on the Towy,South Esk,Coquet and every where else.

There was a good article in T&S about making your own shooting heads etc.Using DT lines and having two heads for the price of one.
Bought myself a Hardy Sinktip DT 10 wt from the states for £16:00 inc p&p.This will be cut to about 30 ft with a running line attached.

All new to me but looking forward to it.

Sewinfly..................

T7

I got myself the 6 weight, arrived yesterday. Looks to be more a single hander in feel but I'll see how it spey casts. For me anything over a 6 or 7 weight (double hand rating) shouldn't be called a switch as it will be too heavy to single hand cast. Basically a small double hander...