River Nith 2013

Thrasher

I don't know if many sea trout have been caught this year but I have had a report that there was one of 3lb caught on the worm on the town water Tuesday past and that there was a dozen or so lyng in the caul back.

Sunday night will see the start of the night fishing, not sure if I am brave enough anymore to be out in sub zero night time temperatures.

sewinfly

I don't know if many sea trout have been caught this year but I have had a report that there was one of 3lb caught on the worm on the town water Tuesday past and that there was a dozen or so lyng in the caul back.

Sunday night will see the start of the night fishing, not sure if I am brave enough anymore to be out in sub zero night time temperatures.

Go for it, as they say "if your fly not in the water,you won't catch"

I would fish just after dark this early on you never know.

Sewinfly.................

Thrasher

It wouldn't be the first time that I have had a sea trout on the first night but returns are diminishing so much it is difficult to get motivated for night fishing.

I reckon that this time of year is probably our best considering how the runs have been recently.

But you are absolutely correct, no fly in the water no fish.

tote

Decided to give it a go with the worm last night before dark, fished through three pools without even a bite from a parr. However near the tail of the last pool I hooked a sea trout which put a bend in the rod when it thrashed on the surface, the excitement was short lived as it threw the hook and the line went slack.:(

Did hear of another lost in the pool above round about the same time so there are some starting to creep forward.

Thrasher

Some half decent weather wouldn't go amiss, it is tipping it down as I type, the gauges say the water is already rising, so i would imagine we are scuppered for another week. Ho hum!

tote

Some half decent weather wouldn't go amiss, it is tipping it down as I type, the gauges say the water is already rising, so i would imagine we are scuppered for another week. Ho hum!
Scuppered because of rain.:confused: I was thinking the opposite, the third week in May, a nice rise in water at the weekend and falling in nicely at the start of the week, throw a bit of heat in to the equation and we really have no excuses, if only it was that easy.:rolleyes:

I was down today for a couple of hours to trot the garden flea through the pools, a mate was down before me and spun it for six hours, both of us seen and touched the same, yeah you guessed it nothing.:(

tote

Went down last night at 8pm with both rods, fished the worm on light tackle up untill the dark without getting a touch. Then switched to the fly and fished through untill the back of 12 with the same result, never even heard a splash. There was one small sea trout (1.5lb) caught on worm at dusk by another angler.Hopefully things will pick up as it's getting warmer at the moment.

tote

Was out last night untill 12.30am, saw one decent sea trout about 3-4lb show but that was all. Spoke to felow anglers who have been doing all nighters and they've had the odd on-off but have yet to catch. Hoping this heat will improve the situation.

I am led to believe Jim will be giving it a go this week so watch this space.:D

Andy R

C`mon jimac, its the summer time to wet you flies......unless you'd prefer to us the garden fly?

Andy

jimac

First night out last night,

Got this wee fella 2lb snake fly sunk line not a bad start,
Sorry the pics a bit big makes the troot look bigger though :p

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

crewefisher

Well done Jim, good to see you amongst the fish so early in the season! !

Keeping it up now is the key!!

Look forward to more of your posts

Atb Shane

Andy R

Are you sure it was a snake fly and not a wiggly worm, with Tam to work on you all winter I thought you may have crossed to the dark side.....

Well done Jim, you've beaten me off the mark,

Andy

jimac

Are you sure it was a snake fly and not a wiggly worm, with Tam to work on you all winter I thought you may have crossed to the dark side.....

Well done Jim, you've beaten me off the mark,

Andy
hi andy
No I am still chucking flies at them,
But I was disappointed I thought tam may have given me a worm bag or some bait controllers for my xmas :D
Maybe next year :rolleyes:

Andy R

Good to hear Jim,

I'm off tonight to try to break my duck on the Dovey, fish being caught steadily, but not by me....still I have a lucky feeling about tonight.

Andy

tote

As Jim said on the Dovey thread he was on the Nith untill 2.30am this morning and nothing was doing. With the sun shining my mate Tam and I went down to the bottom end of our beat and to say we were dissapointed with what we seen would be an understatement.:(

Not much about at all, had a look in 7 good pools and only seen 9 sea trout, poor to say the least.

tote

Nobody fishing?

I went down last night and fished untill 1am and never saw or heard a thing, the lad I was fishing with stayed untill 3.30am and he also blanked.

Did hear of one 2lber caught last night but the fishing is very poor, must say it's hard to find the enthusiasm to keep plugging away.:(