Bright Moonlight Tactics

Waddington

Just sitting out the back enjoying a cool drink and really noticed how the full moon was like a floodlight. It got me thinking if anyone had any thoughts as to how to go about fishing in these conditions. Obviously you try and avoid casting a shadow over the pool, but what would your tactics be re flies and fishing depths speeds etc? Having had a brief go on the Towy last night with no luck, where I could see quite clearly for hundreds of yards, I would be interested in anyone's thoughts. My gut instincts for what they are worth, was to fish smaller flies towards the darker areas of the pool attempting to vary the fishing depth. No doubt someone smart will say just don't bother going ;).

Phil

fordfly

Phil, I've had some luck fishinge small flies on a slow inter over deeper parts of shaded pools and lifting the rod tip as they swing over where the fish are. Sort of an induced take I suppose.
Andy

Andy R

I went to the Dovey on Wednesday night, bright moon clear sky, dolgylynen run was free s I fished it, but it was a terrible moon pool, the moon was right behind my casting arm, not a touch. Moved to another pool with the moon shining up the pool ( behind the fishes tails) and the fish did take, admitted they did rattle the fly better when a patch of cloud covered the moon, but they still took when the moon was out, small flies and a floating line with a slow sink leader did the trick.

I spoke to another very experienced angler on the Dovey, he said the fish see the fly line when the moon is out, which may be a theory worthy of consideration, long leaders, small flies ( less obvious than large tubes) and maybe I'll dig out my clear intermediate line next time...

However I'd always prefer a night with little moonlight, or if there is good cloud cover. I've only been to the Dovey four times this season ( 4 fish) but no night has been properly dark yet.

weatherman

Haven't managed a session this week under the moonlight, however, I usually resort to a sink tip line, a leader of around 10-12 feet, 6lb BS (ample for fishing at distance on the Neath) and "wee double" flies, something like a Stoat's Tail point fly and a TB&S on the dropper.

Last edited:

tandem

'Light' flies , pale and silver bodied . Possibly sparse white palmer , bit of pale grey seals fur , squirrel tail wing , widgeon or teal head hackle . All very sparse . Don't think it has to be too small , 6-8 will do .If you can't get out of the Moon you may as well use it . Always go for a dark pool if I can get one .
Fine and far off , but never too fine , you just dont know . 8lb Fulling Mill does as well as anything .
I use an ND as well , no wake , no 'noise' especially in this low water . I always fish too fast , no use me passing an opinion :) .
As for staying in , i did that on Saturday night , few drinks , music playing in the back garden , doors and windows open . Ended up with a hangover and a house full of insects , so go fishing .

Last edited:

Aled

I have caught on a size 8 Long Shank appetiser fished very slowly accross a pool on as long a 6lb leader as i can manage. However as I am fishing light line, i tend not to use it in areas where i am going to have to hold a hooked fish hard. Not much use above a weir!
Tight Lines
Aled