Conwy 2015

stuartpengs

Hi all,

well it's getting close to time, so thought I'd get the Conwy 2015 thread underway. So far nothing to report!

stuartpengs

Let me know how you get on Sam, don't be shy! :) I've spent a lot of time on the river last couple of weeks, waited for dark a few times, yet to see any sea trout show. They certainly can't be far off.

highplains

I thought you may like to know that Trout and Salmon have a bidding process going on at the moment and one is the Campaign, this is it:

“The Board of Natural Resources Wales has recently announced the closure of all hatcheries with the exception of a proposed ‘centre of excellence’ in Brecon Beacons National Park. The evidence presented to the Board to justify their closure was more than 200 papers, which NRW contends provide scientific evidence that hatchery-bred fish lose their genetic integrity and are less robust than their wild counterparts. It is our contention that the quoted documents do not provide such proof. Conclusions that NRW have drawn are based upon supposition. Economic considerations have been the driving factor, not the protection of salmon stocks. The papers quoted actually support the principle of mitigation stocking. Critically, most rivers in England and Wales are forecast to be either ‘at risk’ or ‘probably at risk’ by 2018. Our pitch is for an independent scientist to be appointed to assess the papers provided by NRW as evidence for their policy to close all hatcheries. The outcome should be clear and the result measurable.”

If you wish to vote, for this idea please visit www.cpwf.co.uk where all the links are on the front page. It's for our fisheries!

blackmedicine

Let me know how you get on Sam, don't be shy! :) I've spent a lot of time on the river last couple of weeks, waited for dark a few times, yet to see any sea trout show. They certainly can't be far off.
Nowt on Thursday night...but had a nice 2.5lber this evening...be worth a crack at night after this water and decent tides...

stuartpengs

Still quite quiet on the Conwy. I've had 4 nights out now and only seen one show during those 4 visits. There's a couple here and there in the pools that can be spotted in the day, but no decent numbers entering the river as yet. Always a bit later on the Conwy though. Longest day's is passed now so once we're into July is should be all go.

stuartpengs

So, after a slow June things have started to pick up in July (often the way on the Conwy). July 1st I was lucky enough to catch 3 in quick succession in front of a decent tide. One fish of around 3 and half pound and a couple of 2 pound fish started July off in excellent style. Another trip out on the 3rd brought another fish of around pound and half, but the thunder a lightening was definitely putting them on edge. Not been out again but a night out tonight looks certain.

Andy R

Stuart, well done on the fish, at the moment I'm either catching one, or nothing. Big rain forecast for today, so have your waterproofs for tonight!

stuartpengs

Stuart, well done on the fish, at the moment I'm either catching one, or nothing. Big rain forecast for today, so have your waterproofs for tonight!
Cheers Andy. We had some Groyne reconstruction (in the river, not the trouser department) over the weekend so I'm itching to get out and see how the fly swims. We had some rain yesterday that's put a couple of centimetres on the levels, but it's still a long way down! Hopefully today's rain will put some more on it and freshen things up. Certainly a few about.

stuartpengs

Time for a bump! Been flitting between the Conwy and the Clwyd, depending on river height through July. For the Conwy it's been up and down a bit but have managed to land 23 sea trout for July for this river. Nothing big but a few 3lb + fish and a lot in the 2lb region, so quite pleased with how the month's gone considering the levels are a bit unsettled.

Here's a 3lb fish from Saturday night, one of four caught, I managed to land all the fish I had offers off that night, got to be a record!