Pearly Pete.

phl

Now that does look nice. Is that Guinea-Fowl for the hackle? You don't often see it in a dessing, but I always think it looks good.

Paul

weatherman

Thanks.
Yes it's Guinea Fowl, I've got some here & was wondering where it could be used, so thought I'd try something along these lines with it.

phl

I like Guinea Fowl as a wing material. I've had some success with a fly tied with a squirrel-hair wing and Guinea-fowl cheeks, red hackle, and black body with a silver rib.

Paul

weatherman

Thank you Haptonlad, I'll be giving it a swim as soon as the new season starts. ;)

Paul, that sounds like nice combination of materials there, out of curiosity, is the squirrel wing dyed or natural?

speycaster

love the profile ,i have had a lot of sucess on that type of hackle and with teal or mallard

phl

Thank you Haptonlad, I'll be giving it a swim as soon as the new season starts. ;)

Paul, that sounds like nice combination of materials there, out of curiosity, is the squirrel wing dyed or natural?
It's natural. I use it on a couple of patterns that have given me some success.

Paul

phl

You are going to have to post a couple of photos up for us so we can all benefit from these patterns...;)

Jeff.
I was afraid someone might say that. I fear it will only reveal (a) my poor fly-tying skills and (b) my poor photography skills.
If I manage to get any decent photographs I'll put them up.

Paul

phl

IMGP0149.jpg

Here they are: I warned you of my poor skills. My excuse is that these are used flies, not fresh-tied: I just picked them out from my fly-box.
The top one is the pattern I described before. The other produced my best-ever seatrout this year, so has now instantly become my favourite fly!

Paul

Last edited:

haptonlad

The profile of both flies are good only the heads needs finishing off to prevent the materials tied on the hook from breaking down. Like WM says I'd fish with both of these flies.

Last edited:

weatherman

After being inspired by PHL's (Paul) fly I decided to try & tie something up along the same lines.

Body: black wool
Rib: Flat silver
1st hackle: Red
2nd hackle: Guinea fowl
Underwing: Black squirrel
Overwing: Peacock swords

Last edited:

phl

Well, that's not fair, Jeff: you're just showing me up now!

Lovely fly. I used a broad flat silver rib on my first pattern, but (as you can see) I struggle to get it to lie nicely with an even spacing. Any tips on how to get the effect you've got?

Paul

Last edited:

weatherman

Paul, don't underestimate yourself. I just had to tie something up with the materials list you provided, (provoked my one & only grey cell) & came up with that. As far as the ribbing goes, I start the first turn of tinsel at a slight angle to the hookshank & basically continue up the shank towards the eye just in open turns trying to keep that angle, probably a bit more luck than judgement, if I'm being honest.

Jeff.

Last edited: