Sea Trout Runs 2016

Alwyn

It seems that 2016 is generally off to a slow start in terms of sea trout fishing. I've been reading that the Towy has been really slow and even the coraclemen have been struggling. I read one report from a serious sewin angler that that the Ogmore is colouring up at night even though the river has been clear by day. Again, few fish being caught or seen. Other rivers too seem to be late in seeing sea trout runs. I've fished Woodmill Pool twice this month and the sea trout there have been very thin on the ground with very few showing. Meanwhile, salmon runs seem relatively on schedule. So what's happening? Is it simply that the sea trout are late and will soon be entering the rivers en masse, or is there something rather more worrying going on, perhaps affecting stocks? And why would a clear running river colour up at night time - algae perhaps?

I'm hoping that normal service will soon resume but it's a bit of a concern I think?

Alwyn

stuartpengs

Difficult to draw any conclusions yet Alwyn. The two rivers I fish, I never catch a fish before the longest day so I'm not overly concerned at the moment. Although the Tywi is an earlier run river the North Wales rivers don't get into gear until July.

Alwyn

I've has a couple of trips to Woodmill Pool so far this year with relatively poor results and little evidence of fish in the pool. Friends who have fished it have experienced similar - including some who fished it last night. Then when you look at other reports for the UK, very few running fish seem evident. I contacted the keeper at Testwood today to ask what they are experiencing. They have the benefit of clear water pretty much year round allowing them to see what's coming in and what's leaving. The keeper said that they noticed that kelts were very late leaving the river this year with quite a few waiting until early May. He puts this down to our cold spring and relatively low water temperature. He's not concerned and feels that things are just a little different this year because of the warm winter and cold spring. Makes sense to me and perhaps this is what we're seeing on other rivers. He also said that they noticed that the kelts have been markedly larger which could bode well. Anyway, I prefer this theory to the super-trawlers theories that are doing the rounds!

Andy R

Apart from earlier rivers like the Till, Glaslyn or Towy, it's still early for seatrout. The Dovey only really gets going this week ( usually my first night caught fish is around the 3rd or 4th, last year it was the 12th. The Glaslyn has had a few decent fish, but a lack of a decent drop of water hasn't helped. I'd not be concerned until the end of June, there's nothing to suggest any imminent disaster....

weatherman

I've has a couple of trips to Woodmill Pool so far this year with relatively poor results and little evidence of fish in the pool. Friends who have fished it have experienced similar - including some who fished it last night. Then when you look at other reports for the UK, very few running fish seem evident. I contacted the keeper at Testwood today to ask what they are experiencing. They have the benefit of clear water pretty much year round allowing them to see what's coming in and what's leaving. The keeper said that they noticed that kelts were very late leaving the river this year with quite a few waiting until early May. He puts this down to our cold spring and relatively low water temperature. He's not concerned and feels that things are just a little different this year because of the warm winter and cold spring. Makes sense to me and perhaps this is what we're seeing on other rivers. He also said that they noticed that the kelts have been markedly larger which could bode well. Anyway, I prefer this theory to the super-trawlers theories that are doing the rounds!
This assumption does make some sense as to why this year's run of sea trout seem to be later than usual. It would also strengthen the argument that climate change is having an undesirable effect on certain species of wildlife in their normal habitats.