Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Devon and Cornwall 2018

    Starting a South West thread, I imagine all rivers are suffering the same malaise at the moment so until we get a bit more rain things may be quiet.

    I fished Butterwell last weekend with my father. I lost one good sea trout at the net (around the 4lb mark), and landed a small one of about a lb soon after. Conditions were generally poor, clear skies, full moon, low water and no real push even near the pool heads. These fish were active during a very small window on the first night when storm cloud rolled in and the atmosphere noticeably changed. 2 hours or so later clear skies and dead water did for that night and the following night.

    During this window my dad did manage to pull out an 18lb salmon. It was absolutely ridiculous, the camel is a small river at the best if time but when the water is this low it just seems extraordinary that this fish was there. I landed it with a small trout net, not a good idea. I will be investing in something that can handle the unexpected.

    This is our second time at Butterwell since Sam and Rachel took the reins. What a great job they're doing, the new cabin is seriously comfortable and everything is really well maintained. Sam put me on to the fish and is obviously learning the river quickly.

    We're now waiting for the conditions to change before fishing somewhere new, perhaps the Teign (we're very open to suggestions).

    Tight lines

    Tom
    Last edited by tom_o_m; 08-07-2018 at 09:20 PM.

  2. Likes haptonlad liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hapton Burnley Lancs
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom_o_m View Post
    Starting a South West thread, I imagine all rivers are suffering the same malaise at the moment so until we get a bit more rain things may be quiet.

    I fished Butterwell last weekend with my father. I lost one good sea trout at the net (around the 4lb mark), and landed a small one of about a lb soon after. Conditions were generally poor, clear skies, full moon, low water and no real push even near the pool heads. These fish were active during a very small window on the first night when storm cloud rolled in and the atmosphere notably changed. 2 hours or so later clear skies and dead water did for that night and the following night.

    During this window my dad did manage to pull out an 18lb salmon. It was absolutely ridiculous, the camel is a small river at the best if time but when the water is this low it just seems extraordinary that this fish was there. I landed it with a small trout net, not a good idea. I will be investing in something that can handle the unexpected.

    This is our second time at Butterwell since Sam and Rachel took the reins. What a great job they're doing, the new cabin is seriously comfortable and everything is really well maintained. Sam put me on to the fish and is obviously learning the river quickly.

    We're now waiting for the conditions to change before fishing somewhere new, perhaps the Teign (we're very open to suggestions).

    Tight lines

    Tom
    Nice report Tom
    Thanks for taking the time to opening the South river thread.
    Unlucky on the sea trout that got off at the net, better luck next time pal

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haptonlad View Post
    Nice report Tom
    Thanks for taking the time to opening the South river thread.
    Unlucky on the sea trout that got off at the net, better luck next time pal
    It would have been my first large sea trout, I swore, a lot!

    It was beaten and heading into the net but my dad missed it in the dark and it was off. Painful.

    Once we have some rain I'll be back in the area trying to make amends.

    Tom

  5. Likes haptonlad liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hapton Burnley Lancs
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tom_o_m View Post
    It would have been my first large sea trout, I swore, a lot!

    It was beaten and heading into the net but my dad missed it in the dark and it was off. Painful.

    Once we have some rain I'll be back in the area trying to make amends.

    Tom
    We've all been there Tom
    It's what keeps us going back for more, keep at it & you'll land a few believe me.
    I've only hooked one myself this year & it was a very good fish too, but it broke my dropper knot.
    Shit happens.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes exactly, and it was a great experience anyway. It was airborne a lot and when it wasn't it was pushing hard for the tree roots. Exhilarating stuff.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We're thinking about fishing the Teign next week, conditions look marginally better.

    Does anyone have any advice on which beat, and ideally which pools, we should focus on that are open to day ticket anglers? Given the low water i was thinking the lower Teign, but there isn't much in the way of guidance on their website.

    Many thanks,

    Tom

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Teign

    My dad fished the Teign on Thursday night and landed one peal, around a pound and a quarter.

    There was plenty of sploshing, and a much bigger fish hit where the fly was a millisecond before, just after he pulled it from the water. No more than a couple of meters from him.

    It was warm until late and the fish were active until he left around 2:30. There were 2 other anglers there, neither caught and left around midnight.

    This was his first sea trout! He's ecstatic.

    I couldn't get away due to a busy week at work but will try next week.

    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tom_o_m; 05-08-2018 at 10:03 PM.

  10. Likes haptonlad liked this post
  11. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bovey Tracey
    Posts
    305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hello Tom . There are fish to had in the Teign . I have caught several over the last week including one of around 6lb . I have been concentrating on the lower river .
    Fish are very cagey and smallish , sparsely dressed flies have done the business. Always fish a surface lure through at the end of the session .
    Has been a grim season .

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tandem View Post
    Hello Tom . There are fish to had in the Teign . I have caught several over the last week including one of around 6lb . I have been concentrating on the lower river .
    Fish are very cagey and smallish , sparsely dressed flies have done the business. Always fish a surface lure through at the end of the session .
    Has been a grim season .
    Hi Tandem,

    We fished on Monday on the lower Teign above the weir. Lots of fish about but we didn't have a pull, the only interest I got was 3 missed goes at the surface lure. It wasn't particularly enjoyable fishing as the water was stagnant, is this a feature of the Teign pools? I like a little bit of a push through as it feels a bit too much like reservoir fishing otherwise.

    Thanks for your advice on flies, we were using bushy black stinger flies. These were probably overly dressed.

    Lots of the runs and small pools looked more enjoyable to fish if there was another 6 inches or so of water present.

    Regards,

    Tom

  13. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bovey Tracey
    Posts
    305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No water Tom . I assume you mean Chudleigh Weir ? Usually a great pool for Sea Trout and Salmon but slowed to stop this year . Iíve been a mile or two downstream fishing amongst the mullet . Fresh water but only just .
    The river runs a good deal higher in a normal year .

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •