Afon Tywi

kingfisher

River perfect for the fly!

River perfect for the fly!

My brother-in-law and I fished all day Saturday. What perfect fly fishing conditions! Water was about 2ft above norm, pretty much clear and a gorgeous day too! I had a 7lb sewin and my brother-in-law had what looked like a fresh grilse of about 5lb! Let me know what you think! Go to my blog at www.seatroutfishing.blogspot.com

LuckyLuke

4 days Fishing the Golden Grove

4 days Fishing the Golden Grove

DAY 1

After carefully dumping my belongings at a friendly b+b in neath - i drove up to beat 2 on the Golden Grove fishery for my first days fishing on Towy. There had been heavy rain over the past few days so the river was up high and very coloured so fly was out much to my disappointment.

On went a CD09 GFR and within 20mins i'd hooked a nice fish just above cilsane bridge which promptly decided it wanted to go thru the bridge and down into beat three then...........disaster struck. The spool on my abu cardinal 855 reel promptly exploded i kid you not - suffice to say the fish was lost and i had to hand line in all the braid and the rapala. Peeved off i put on my spare spool and after returning a small sewin of around 1lb, my second spool after a harmless cast also exploded with bits of metal and plastic flying everywhere :mad:. By now i was seriously pissed. :mad: This had NEVER happended to me b4 and thank god i had brought an old mitchel spinning reel as a back up....the only downside was the reel was spooled with some stren high vis line which was a fair few yrs old.... i hadnt put new line on it...all the new line/braid was on my now broken 2 spools - should i take the risk or should i take the time to re spool it with the braid?

Well suffice to say i didnt at the time as i was so angry and i wanted to get back to the fishing - but this rash decision was to prove VERY VERY Costly. Moving up the beat i'd been told by Daz to focus on a particular spot further up - TRUST ME HE KNOWS WHATS HES TALKING ABOUT ;). 3-4 casts later as the rapala swung around in the current it completely stopped dead - i thought id snagged so i lifted the rod and then all hell broke loose.....my heavyweight Daiwa Kevlar spinning rod bent double immediately and this lunker of a fish (im sure a very large salmon) sped off like Usain Bolt downstream at a hell of a rate with my reel screaming.......Suffice to say the line snapped it all happended so fast but suffice to say it was all my fault and i deserved nothing less - how can i have been so stupid? It was all my fault but to be honest if you had told me at the beggining of the day id have 2 brand new an unused spools failing on me i wouldn't have believed you.

The day was punctuated with very heavy showers and the water continued to dirty up - i did however manage to land a nice sewin of around 3lb's which i dispatched and had some further knocks but nothing significant so with light fading packed up and drove back to the b+b feeling very angry with myself.

Day 2

Having over night spooled the stealth braid from my broken spool onto the mitchel i felt much more confident and after meetng up with Mr. Loomis he then took me down to beat 1 - again the river was still high and only good for spinning so on went a cd 09 gfr again and 2nd cast a nice grilse of around 3lb was hooked and duly landed photographed and returned. There were loads of fish showing with a few very large fish which had been pushing up from the whistle pool making a spectacular entrance to the bottom of my beat so down i went and worked the rapala's and flying c's hard but alas all to no avail - the rest of the day was spent going up further and further into the beat but apart from a lovely brownie all was quiet but the river was fantastic and i knew there were lots of fish around - it was just conecting with them that was the problem :rolleyes:. Later on in the day i went down as far as i could on the beat and did connect with a reasonably sized fish but it too threw the hook - All in all a challenging but very enjoyable day.

Tired i went back to the b+b b4 meeting up with Daz for a bash at night fishing on one of his favoured beats on the grove. It was a massive learning experience for me and to be honest i was pretty crap......but thats because im a lefty and not a righty like Daz... honest!!!!! In any case Daz had the patience of a saint - happily helping me to retrieve my flies which were determined to hook anything that remotely looked like grass or trees and not a sewin. That night we fished hard and both had a few touches but nothing stuck, but we were rewarded by seeing some otters and a nice sewin of around 5lb come flying out of the pool - only a small one according to Daz but a monster in my eyes. With the temperature dropping fast and me not owning a pair of neoprene's Daz took pity on me and said we had best pack up for the night which i gratefully accepted and headed off home to try & warm up.

Day 3

After only 3.5 hours sleep the alarm clock went off and i woke up groggy. My body was hurting like hell, i felt years older and more to the point looked like road kill with big bags under my eyes, Daz on the other hand cheerfully arrived at my b+b looking freash faced & with a spring in his tail after only a few hours sleep.....WHAT A GIT :rolleyes::rolleyes::D After managing to free ourselves from my very warm and welcoming landlady we quickly drove up to beat 2 - the river was clearing and Daz said conditions were perfect for the fly - AT LAST i thought!!!!!. Now a spring in my step too, we quickly tackled up and worked through the Cilsane beat. Daz helped me choose the right patterns to use on a di3 and told me where to aim for casting wise, sure enough no more than 20 mins had passed when my line tightened and i was into a nice salmon - 5 mins later a beauty of a little over 6lb was landed and dispatched. RESULT :D:D:D.

Daz followed this up with a nice sewin and some cracking brownies all returned - we then moved up to fish another couple of nice looking pools. Not long after starting the pool as my fly swung round i had a classic take and i was onto another salmon which promptly flew out of the water to show its displeasure of being hooked and after a short fight was duly netted by Daz. A lovely bar of silver which we though was fresh in from the sea of around 5 1/2lb. She was carefully released and back to fishing we went with Daz losing a nice one and me also having a hell of a take but just not connecting. By now light was fading fast as were our energy levels so after packing up we went to Burger King to stock up - Daz chose the Go Super Fat b*****d sized chicken royale meal while I naturally opted for the slice of lettuce and diet coke……….Honest ;) :D;)

Day 4

My final Days fishing and i was feeling the heat - my back, knees and arms ached and my casting hand had burst blisters - never mind after yesterdays success i was looking forward to the day ahead. Daz again met up with me and off to beat 2 we went but conditions had changed completly from the day b4 whilst the river was still high the water was now gin clear and daz was not confident saying if we were to catch one today we'd be very lucky. After some words of encouragement from Mr. Loomis off we went on Beat 2 fishing pools we had not tried previously - conditions were hard but i still managed a nice little sewin of around 1 1/2lb sewin and daz caught some cracking browns but nothing else of note throughout the early afternoon apart from us seeing a massive salmon/sewin which daz put conservatively in the 25lb class. With the day fast coming to an end we quickly tried one final pool and i hooked what i thought was a large salmon only to discover it was a nice fat brownie that had been foul hooked hence the weight and pull on my line. With the last few casts i hooked a nice one but was snapped having lost my top dropper to it - but i didnt care too much as id had so much fun.

After saying my goodbyes to Daz i returned to my b+b b4 leaving the next day for my long trip home. A cracking holiday in which i had learned a lot of what to do and more importantly what NOT to do.....i cant wait till next year :D:D

Last edited:

Rockdoc

Sounds like s cracking few days. Great report, we all have kit probs from time to time...it's the nature of the beast!

Lovely pics too...just a tiny bit envious here!:D

AP:)

DAZ

SUPERB!!!!! report Luke.:)

[. It was a massive learning experience for me and to be honest i was pretty crap......]
:rolleyes: If everyone was as crap as you I'd be over the blimmin moon.:D Taking everything in to account,conditions etc! you did yourself proud and coped extremely well for a stockie basher.:D

Christ man - Give yourself a bit of credit.I do believe you were top rod over the weekend.:)

DAZ.

DAZ

What a year the Twyi as had with regaurds to 'BIG FISH' and it ain't stopped yet!.

Another monster was caught yesterday on the Golden Grove - All 17lb of it.

I'll post a pic when I get them.

DAZ.

DAZ

On the theme of big fish from the Twyi this year!,here's a couple of pix and another :rolleyes: Well,quite big,it made a double anyway! - Just!.

Fish on!!!!!!! - Go on my son,give it some :D

I know it don't look like it from the photo but,I can tell you the river was up a couple of feet ( Not far off anyway! ) and peeing through! - Hence the use of the line tray.I'm all for a easy life me! - And it works a treat for a quid or so Bap :) Nice one you! ;) The fish made good use of the extra water and I couldn't do a bloody thing with it for a bit! ( Good fun though! ) It then decided to go back to sea :eek: so had to follow it a good couple of hundred yards down river before Mrloomis slipped the net under her - Cheers bud! ;)

Anyway! - The most important thing,the fish!.

DAZ.

T

Tom Rigby

Nice fish mate:)
They've got some of them line trays in the pound shop by me. Lots of different colours too. How do you fasten it on?

Tom

S

silverinvicta

line tray

line tray

Hi Tom,
the tray is on a belt, blue to match, :D I picked up the baskets for 3 for 99p, the belt is a divers nylon weight belt 2" with a snap lock fitting, nylon slides easily round the back and out of the way when moving or playing a fish... the basket has small cable ties in the bottom as line separaters, stops tangles, the basket is a ventilated one because it empties after having to wade deep......
BASKET...33P BELT...£3.50 TIES...99P X 50 ( 15 used )TIME TO MAKE, ABOUT A HALF HOUR...= £4.16P. Any old belt will do.. but nylon is best, 2" is comfy to wear.

Si.....;)

Last edited:

DAZ

Here's a couple of the 'Big Girl' not the best pix in the world.The one of her going back is OK!.

Fantastic fish - Well done Brian :cool:

DAZ.

S

silverinvicta

big girls..?

big girls..?

Well done that man, a fabulous fish...... Fly, spinner or what Daz?

Si.......:eek:

Aled

Nice fish there for my mate Brian, cracker.
I'm still struggling to get out, hoping to have an hour tomorrow if i'm lucky.
Well done to all who've caught.
Tight Lines
Aled

S

stump

Can anybody tell me what condition the rivers in,im looking to have a day at llandovery saturday to finish my season off.....

stump...

DAZ

I just rang my mate Stump and he said it's up around 4ft.He reckons it's dropping around a ft a day so! - It may be OK for Saturday ? Still might be a little fast for the fly ?,but fishable.

DAZ.