Carp, finally!

outside

I notice I asked about carp on the fly in September last year....

There is a little pool I often have a walk round which has a lot of small carp in it, and I keep getting the urge to have a go at them, and last night I mentioned it to Hoppy the fishmeister along with the fact that I had never caught a carp. In fact I have spent very little time fishing for them, but still....

He couldn't believe what I was saying, so he gave me a shopping list for the tackle shop. I got my strange tackle this morning, and went down to the water at dinner time. Hoppy kindly popped by to set me up and hook the first fish!

A couple more came to the fly too, then it hotted up and I had several more before I had to leave at 5pm. All in all about 10 fish to a first timer, including two on the fly. I lost one, got broke by one and missed several. Most of the fish were around 5lb mark with a couple of doubles.

And to think, the carp boys moan so much about this pool....

Thanks to Bap for explaining carp fly fishing to me, and to Hoppy for showing me the rest! If I can get them off my phone I'll put some pics up

Penrhyn

carp on the fly can be really rewarding,baisically all you need is a hook with a pedigree chum mixer superglued to it and away you go.I have had carp up to 20lb using this method and boy do they go ballistic when hooked

Dave

DAZ

Hi Penrhyn.

Thats not fly fishing,thats bait fishing with a fly rod.
I would agree thats it's superb fun and the method you describe is a good one,I use it mysef,but,it's so much more rewarding getting them on a artificial.They can be so frustrateing and for the most part be very difficult to tempt on the artificial,on the rare occasion though and if you can get them competeing for the offerings they can be quite easy!....

DAZ

PS - Welcome to the forum!

outside

One of the bigger ones. Perspective and badly laid out fish does it no justice. The round piece of netting under the fish is 30 inches across, its in my salmon gye.

shocker

Very Big Cornish Sea Trout - one of a kind
Spun deerhair with a sprig of daglo antron clipped to a square,voila!Dog biscuit fly!Much easier that getting them to take nymphs,but stalking the feeders and using a weighted GRHE or bloodworm can give good sport.Main problem is the hair-rig brigade getting arsey cos your catch rate makes them look silly and they complain to the management and you get thrown out!Really!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

S

silverinvicta

Shocker.. a lake i fish when in Wales can be exactly like that :D I was talking to a guy i met a few weeks ago in Neath while on the canal, he said that the fly anglers drove him nuts cos they hammered the carp while him and his mates struggled to catch one....Its absolutely crazy top of the water fishing there, not just carp...Chub, Roach, Bream,,, all respond brilliant to the fly... I use bloodworm ?? :rolleyes: patterns as well as biscuit patterns ( and proper biscuits) plus several other nymphs..
A black wooly bugger stripped just sub surface can be good as well..
Steve and myself have had some fantastic bags of fish up to 16lb, nothing big, but good fun on a 6WT through actioned rod''' The bream can be a pest...:D:D:D
The fish do go around thirty pounds there...
The beauty is i can go there during the week and there will be hardly another angler on it :
Bap....