Cayo Coco Cuba 2015

sewinfly

Managed to get to Cayo Coco Cuba but with the first 4 days with rain on and off the sea clarity was not that good for sight flyfishing.
So using the spinning rod managed this tuna(yellow fin ?) off the beach.

Put up a great fight to.
Fish was caught to the right of the beach not far from the Melia Hotel.
Carried on up the beach a bit further and put on a big popper lure and after a few casts a big fish came out of the deep water at speed tailing the lure but as it came across the clean sand turned away :(

The fish made another go at it again as I repeated the cast but the same happened again.
Following day was back out again in the same area and moved another fish as this was even bigger as the dark shadow moved in on the popper but again turned away as it came across the clean shallow water.
Unable to say what they were but assumed a good tuna,tarpon.
Both fish were deep in the body.

Sewinfly...........

crewefisher

Brilliant sewin fly, I have always fancied Cuba I looked afew years ago at going over there on a proper organised fishing holiday but I spent my shares cash on a hot tub instead lol
I have read that you can fish off the beach hotels on the Cayo Coco previously so I may get a family holiday over there at sometime!
You still over there? If so I'd love to see some more pics mate

Shane

sewinfly

Brilliant sewin fly, I have always fancied Cuba I looked afew years ago at going over there on a proper organised fishing holiday but I spent my shares cash on a hot tub instead lol
I have read that you can fish off the beach hotels on the Cayo Coco previously so I may get a family holiday over there at sometime!
You still over there? If so I'd love to see some more pics mate

Shane
Have a few more pictures to upload but are on the Fuji XP waterproof camera that screwed up :mad: will try and download them this week once the camera is sorted.

You can fish off the beach and another fisherman I met hooked and landed a 15 Ib tuna off the beach in front of the hotel.Did flyfish but no joy.
There are guides you can meet at the the hotel, but speaking to another angler and there is a very well known guide there and he said he would never ever go with him again and described him with a few choice words.

You can walk to the flats and it's a bit of a walk but nice scenery and you are always looking into the water for biggies :)

Sewinfly.................

Silver Tourist

Sorry - it's not a tuna, let alone a yellow fin. The shape is all wrong. It is a Jack - almaco, horse eye or small trevally. Jacks are flat in section, tuna are round. Also tuna are pelagic and inhabit deep water (Gulf Stream) and you won't catch a proper one off a beach. I have caught plenty of both in the Carribean and Bahamas. Nice fish though. You need to be careful eating Jacks as they will be poisonous if they have been feeding on (coral) reef fish.

sewinfly

Quote from a member off the salmon forum
looks like it was a bar jack 99.5 certain,and obviously a speciman the igfa record is 7lb 5oz,and the florida record is 4lb something,so well done and maybe hard luck,

Sewinfly. ......

Last edited: