Fishing for Sea Trout on a Tidal Beat

hollyfish

I have been informed that blue is a good colour when fishing a tidal beat.
Anyone got any advice?
It is relatively new to me, fishing a river where the tide (>8.9 metres), may back up to where you are fishing.

sewinfly

What river are you fishing?

Teal,Blue Silver fly is a very well known pattern which represents a small bait fish.
I tend to use small black silver doubles on kamasan B270 hooks in 12,14 sizes.Similar to a Peter Ross type fly.
Have a bit of flash in them and maybe a fluro hot orange or green butt.

Also long shank Rogans Gadget worked well for me this year.Basically a large type of nymph

Alwyn,JJ and myself fish a few tidal pools and all using different flies or tubes in various patterns.
Alwyns Tube fly has worked very well on the southern rivers this season.

Sewinfly. ......

hollyfish

What river are you fishing?

Teal,Blue Silver fly is a very well known pattern which represents a small bait fish.
I tend to use small black silver doubles on kamasan B270 hooks in 12,14 sizes.Similar to a Peter Ross type fly.
Have a bit of flash in them and maybe a fluro hot orange or green butt.

Also long shank Rogans Gadget worked well for me this year.Basically a large type of nymph

Alwyn,JJ and myself fish a few tidal pools and all using different flies or tubes in various patterns.
Alwyns Tube fly has worked very well on the southern rivers this season.

Sewinfly. ......
Hi Sewinfly, I'm fishing the Border Esk, I had a nice Sea Trout over 3 lb., on a Stoats Tail Tube Fly with a blue throat.
I was quite lucky last season, I managed 7 Sea Trout, including 4>3lb.
Many thanks for your replies, should you be in the vicinity of North Cumbria at any time, let me know, I will arrange a cast for you.

Brandon

Hollyfish -when you fish tidal beats (or actually when anyone fishes tidal beats) do you fish on a rising tide or when it has turned? I ask this as i was fishing a very small river last year that linked a sea loch to a freshwater loch. And was fishing on a rising tide. And because i saw a couple of decent sea trout come past me I figured they were running. However it was quite surreal fishing a river where the freshwater was running out while the saltwater was coming in over the top and the movement of my line and fly were with the tide. i.e. they were moving upstream.
If anyone has any thoughts or could enlighten me as to how best to tackle this sort of situation i would be most grateful.

Thrasher

The tide will run off so that it effectively becomes the river again, that is when you fish it.

Alwyn

Many thanks.
Also depending on the beat, it can be very productive fishing just as the tide is coming in if fresh fish are running. They are often pretty feisty and can be good takers. Once the tide is in it can go pretty dead and it’s then much better to fish the ebb.

hollyfish

Hollyfish -when you fish tidal beats (or actually when anyone fishes tidal beats) do you fish on a rising tide or when it has turned? I ask this as i was fishing a very small river last year that linked a sea loch to a freshwater loch. And was fishing on a rising tide. And because i saw a couple of decent sea trout come past me I figured they were running. However it was quite surreal fishing a river where the freshwater was running out while the saltwater was coming in over the top and the movement of my line and fly were with the tide. i.e. they were moving upstream.
If anyone has any thoughts or could enlighten me as to how best to tackle this sort of situation i would be most grateful.
Hi Brandon, sorry for the late reply.
I'm relatively new to fishing the tidal beat, last year, was my first season.
I was under the impression that between flow and ebb was the best.

Thrasher

Also depending on the beat, it can be very productive fishing just as the tide is coming in if fresh fish are running. They are often pretty feisty and can be good takers. Once the tide is in it can go pretty dead and it’s then much better to fish the ebb.
You just have to be very careful depending on where you are. Many years ago myself and my dad were fishing the dock flats in Dumfries, we knew the tide was due but it was a bit early by the predicted tide boom time.
We were both on tiptoe in chesties by the time we got to the bank.