Flys, old and new, for rivers.

Cicada

Just one query, have you tied in the mylar at the tail of the tube or glued it? The only reason I ask is that mylar has a bad way of starting to unravel after a few encounters with fishes teeth. :)I find a few turns of thread help protect the mylar . Easily sorted,just put 'em up in the vice again and a few turns of silk and you're sorted. It's also a good way of putting a coloured tag on as well. A bit of red never seems to be a bad idea......;)
I used Danville's mono thread at the tail and then some Hard as Nails over the top. Phew, they won't have to go back in the vice. If the stig didn't spot it, then the fish won't either! Will have to try the red trick on some of the next batch, thanks for the tips.

Nightfisherman

I Like the tubes Cicada, I would be happy to fish (or tie) those ones. Particulalry liked the middle blue one - good looking fly that.:):)

cheers
Nightfisherman

shocker

Very Big Cornish Sea Trout - one of a kind
Well if no one elkse is doing any flies here goes again ..:rolleyes:

Been messing around with some marabou, I love marabou, so did a few sewin /Salmon patterns with it substituting for Fox etc...

Here's a black one.

Yellow and Orange with a white dressed hook.

Another yellow and Orange with a yellow dressed hook

A couple on singles.

Easy to dress, cheap to make.. cheap to lose.. Marabou bought on the internet can be as cheap as £1.99 plus 85p p&p.. for 200, yep 200, 2"-4" plumes.Perfect for smaller lures up to about 1.5" Tubes and 6 hooks.. its good quality marabou as well....

Si......
Bap,I missed this when posted....great stuff!....Im loving the idea of spider tying with 'bou

shocking loopsie :)

trinamadan

Most of the flies I use originate from two patterns I was given on visits to Ireland. I will try to put up some pictures and background .( still struggling with this damn laptop !)
[/IMG]
Delphi variant

trinamadan

This pattern was given to me by Newberry( Berry ) Wilson who fishes the Owenkillew - though he tells me I tie it wrong ! His version is more like a dry fly with a stiffer hackle . He hangs it in the current saying that stripping it back encourages tiny trout and parr. Size 14 and 12 seem to work best over there - size 10 seems best on the Ribble . Endless variants are possible but in my experience jungle cock is best left out . Trebles work better than doubles . Salmon take them and trout and grayling like the smaller sizes .If I could use only one fly this would definitely be it .
Paul

trinamadan

Sorry about the poor picture - I will try again later . I call this the binliner . Given to me by Bobby Dyer of Belfast . Body is black binliner strip (black woven sack is more durable ). Heron herl is the original back but again plastic sack lasts better . Used on the Mourne around Newton Stewart- though I have only known Bobby and myself use it . Fish it in size 14 or 16 for sea trout . Tiny ones are deadly for trout and grayling .
Paul