Lune 2021

T7

Well, disappointing last night. It was completely still when I left the house but was blowing half a Gale on the river. Downstream wind that basically left me with only one pool to fish. I heard a couple of small fish splash but apart from that it was worryingly quiet..

elwyman

Well, disappointing last night. It was completely still when I left the house but was blowing half a Gale on the river. Downstream wind that basically left me with only one pool to fish. I heard a couple of small fish splash but apart from that it was worryingly quiet..
That's a shame. Recently I've found the river goes very quiet about an hour after dark, as the mist starts rising off the fields.

Reactions: T7

Teal Blue And Long John Silver

If there was nothing in Barnestream then I don't think there will be anything much in the entire river :oops:

Reactions: T7

Beyond a joke now G

We are gonna limp along to the end of the season with absolutely nothing to play for. In January the land agent for my own beat will have his hand held out asking for another seven big ones from me. I have and am really starting to question just what I get for it. The only answer I have is that I am allowed to take my dog. They will not even let me teach on it so I pay extra to be able to teach about a quarter of a mile up river. My beat as you know needs water and a chunk of it. The beat owners apply no pressure at all to the EA. The water company continue to abstract water down river from your own and my own beats. They then pump this into the River Wyre. All the EA can offer us is to put in a CCR Mandate. I don't chap what I catch and know that you don't either. We both equally love our sport and this compulsory mandate only serves to drive anglers away from our river. We both know that it is anglers who for the most part adopt the role as bailiffs which is the part of the EA's role that they seem to have neither the resource or inclination to fulfil. I am annoyed and all rather fed up of paying the EA for my license and my beat owner for absolutely nothing in return :mad:

haptonlad

I have to agree with you on what little return we get off the EA…
Us salmon & sea trout anglers are being ripped off!
No bailiff’s no monitoring or control over river pollution & to cap it off CCR…
I‘ve considered in to wether to just purchase a non migratory rod & line license but it my passion to fish for sea trout & salmon that I can’t bring myself to down scale…
I can’t justify what we get extra for nearly 3 times the price we pay for our licenses.
You can bet your life on it that there’s a good few salmon & sea trout get caught by coarse anglers that will get knocked on the head & thrown in the bottom of their tackle boxes too..
Their won’t be bothered about stock levels like us lads.
I‘m not saying I want to take fish for the table but I’d like to have the option to do so if could because the extra money we have to pay.
I haven’t taken a fish for a good few years now & probably won’t unless I get one that won’t go back from bad hooking…
Sorry that’s my rant over☺

When I was a member of Yorkshire Fly for 4 years on the run I turfed off some travelling 'gentlemen' on the 2 weekends that they were all travelling up to and back down from the Appleby Tinkers Fair. One Saturday at Devil's Bridge at Kirkby Lonsdale I caught a group of about 20 of them taking salmon. I phoned the EA and they put me through to a different office who in turn put me through to a different office who in turn put me through to yet another different office. The lady I finally spoke to asked me what I expected them to do about it? When she realised that I was not for fobbing off she gave me the mobile number for the head bailiff for the North West Of England. I rang him and left a voicemail. 5 hours later he rang me back and asked what I wanted? I explained the situation and he said that sadly he would be unable to attend due to lack of resources. He them went on to tell me that poaching and fish theft was not a problem in the Lune as they never get reports of it. When I explained that for the previous 4 years I had personally removed 8 different groups of travellers from Rigmaden Bridge hw stopped just short of accusing me of telling bare faced lies when I offered him registration numbers from their vehicles he became a little less awkward. He went on to ask why I hadn't reported the matters? I asked him that based on his response why should I even bother? He then went on to tell me that the EA have an active policy of non pursuit of single rod and line offenders. I thanked him for telling me this and suggested that I would never again buy an EA Rod License. When he asked why? I referred him to his previous comment. To add insult to injury he suggested that if I felt so strongly Bout it then I should enrol as a volunteer bailiff through the Angling Trust. I thanked him for his generous suggestion but stressed that I felt paying eighty odd quid per year for a license so that I could go and police my river myself seemed a little bit bare brass necked even for the EA.

As an afterthought even if the EA ever do catch you fishing on a piece of water they have to prove what species you are targeting and of course they can not. If you are fishing even with a switch rod and wee double flies they cannot prove what you are fishing for. The number of coarse anglers on the Ribble and Dee who regularly catch salmon and sea trout is significant. None of these catches of course are ever recorded. Yet another gaping hole in the EA machine.

Last edited:

haptonlad

That’s disgusting!
I only ever see the EA bailiff in the week of the salmon season, this to me shows their only trying to catch out anglers fishing for salmon on a coarse license.
I‘ve had to produce my salmon licence 3 times in the past 6 yrs & twice in the last 2 yrs & on all occasions they‘ve been on the last week in October.
You can bet your life on it the 75% of the guys spinning for pike on the canal won’t carry one!

I should add that I was with Yorkshire Fly for over ten years. After the nonsense with the silly buggers at the EA I never again bothered moving anybody off any piece of water be it Yorkshire Fly or anybody else's. Why bother? Nobody gives a rats arse. All they want to do is take your money and give you nothing in return. Volunteer bailiff? Not a bloody chance thank you :mad:

That’s disgusting!
I only ever see the EA bailiff in the week of the salmon season, this to me shows their only trying to catch out anglers fishing for salmon on a coarse license.
I‘ve had to produce my salmon licence 3 times in the past 6 yrs & twice in the last 2 yrs & on all occasions they‘ve been on the last week in October.
You can bet your life on it the 75% of the guys spinning for pike on the canal won’t carry one!

In the past 20 years I have been asked for my license on one occasion only and that was on a pond in Clitheroe.

Once for me as well. Probably 15 years ago

Even on the very off chance that any of them ever decide to have a bit of a snoop around mid river you will have no chance of seeing one of the rare creatures at Aughton. The beat is too far from the main road and they won't relish the prospect of wearing some of the tread off their shiny new boots.

Andy62

In 40 years of fishing as an adult I have only been asked for my rod licence once and that was in the last century on a stretch of river next to the road. I did report a pollution incident once and the follow up was good but I’m sure it was down to a road building activity that was easily monitored

A few years ago, a professional fully qualified instructor with one of the 2 main teaching organisations (I will not give his name or the associations name) was giving a lesson at the back end of February on the Ribble. His client hooked and landed a cleaner than a cats arse spanker of a fish of over 20lbs. Somehow the poor miscreant unfortunate fish managed to get itself good and dead. The instructor was seen trotting up the bank with 20odd pounds of silver slung over his shoulder by the angling club bailiff. The bailiff reported the instructor to the club. The club reported the instructor to the Environment Agency. The club kicked the instructor out of the club. The teaching organisation kicked him out of their merry band. The Environment Agency did absolutely nothing about it. This is all completely true :rolleyes:

T7

Well, finally some rain due this week. Let’s see what we actually get as the forecasts this season seem to have all over the shop.

Im not expecting any water to bring significant numbers of fish but it might persuade me to go and wave the rod about in something other than green pea soup…