Nith 2021.

tote

Been near a month since I wet a line, conditions are drastic, all I can do is post a few pics from my walks, lol.

Took a walk down the Barjarg beat on Sunday, river looks sound in the pics but rest assured it's got a horrible greenish tinge to it.

The Trolley Pool.
Trolley Pool..jpg

Looking up to the Sandbed Pool.
Sandbed, looking up to it.jpg

Tail of the Sandbed Pool.
Sandbed, tail end..jpg

elwyman

Gosh that is low. It will need a good flood to clear all the algae from the River bed. I was leaning over a bridge parapet looking at a slow moving shallow pool on the Clwyd, and the algae looked horrendous.

Andy62

You have had drought conditions, I hope the forecast rain this weekend falls in the river catchment area and there is a decent spate to help the river. It's been a hard year so far.

tote

Been a while but finally we got a wee bit water, the river rose just over a foot on Sunday night, fell in then got another 14" rise on Monday night, not enough to clean the bottom but better than nothing.

Headed down after tea tonight and had an hour with a flying c before going to watch a local football team. I was rewarded with this coloured Sea Trout.

20210810_175556.jpg

Alwyn

Nice looking fish, well done! What a luxury to be able to pop out for an hour’s fishing (I live in London and it’s a 2 hour minimum drive for a sea trout) 😀

tote

Been out every day since last Monday, excluding Sunday of course. Only doing 1.5 - 2 hours a shift, have tried flying C, fly with the single hander and yesterday a mepps and light tackle now that the river has dropped back to 0" again. Had a couple of Herling yesterday and a few troots to 8".

I've yet to see a fish break the surface in all the time I've been down and only seen the one other angler, an oap neighbor who's good company on the river.

Looking up Dicks Stream yesterday.
20210817_222444.jpg

tote

Looking in a bit better nick Tote? Still needs a big flood I bet (don’t we all!!!)
Aye, it's certainly better than it was, the temp has dropped and it's a bit clearer though the bottom is still caked with slime, really needing 3ft+ to clear it out.

Sadly apart from the 2 coloured sea trout and the Herling there's been very little doing. Spoke to 3 anglers that fish Upper Nithsdale and they're of the opinion the river is empty. Likewise another lad I know fished Dalswinton every morning last week, he blanked, didn't even see a fish.

We were all hoping that after that prolonged dry spell we'd have fish to go at, doesn't seem to be the case.

tote

Been a while since I wrote owt on this thread, basically because there's been nowt to report, don't think I can remember the river being as low in September before, most of the month it would've been showing zero inches on the gauge.

We did get a 12" lift on Sunday, it was back to 4" by the time I walked down on Monday after tea, ( car failed it's MOT so I'm on foot just now).😒 I gave it an hour 6-7pm with the single hander but not a thing to be seen, an old mate was down in the afternoon and had the same result.

The following night I decided to change venue and tactics so after the mile and a half walk I tackled up with light line and mepps and first cast landed a 20" Broonie, third cast a 12" Broonie, had about a dozen for the hour I was there, a couple of coloured Herling amongst them.

The 20 incher.
20210921_182837.jpg

Last night I walked down for another go with the mepps, only got the one 10" Broonie from the same run so went half a mile downstream. Had another Broonie and two Herling just on the darkening. There isn't any sign of owt bigger in my area.

One of the Herling.
20210923_193849.jpg

Andy62

You are still catching, when does the fishing end on your river?